Hornby 2019 Range Launch, 7th January

Posted
Rating:
#239875 (In Topic #13281)

Place your bet!

I notice Hornby are launching their revised range in less than a fortnight (07/01/19), so what do we think may be on the cards?

We all have our wish lists, including me, so tempering my wilder desires for some early GWR coaching stock and accepting that they probably won't go for an updated autocoach either, I would maybe risk a little mad money on re-tooled 'B Sets' with the correct number of windows this time!

As for locomotives and it has to be in my period, a Class 517 or Metro Tank may well be announced, as I'm just ordering the drive-chain for my Metro and have earmarked an old Airfix 14xx for 517 conversion.

So what do the good people of YMRC think for loco, passenger and freight stock, ancient or modern?

Let's see who gets close!

Keep warm and snug and enjoy a Happy Christmas,

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Bill

Good question!

Given the recent improvement in their mechanisms, I reckon another 0-6-0 might be on the cards - perhaps a J6 as they had reasonably long lives although the ex-LNER types have had quite a few offerings lately. 

Is it time for a new Black 5?  The SR M7 and H class 0-4-4T's went well so how about an ex-MR 0-4-4T type?

My money is on another 0-6-0 and perhaps the Black 5.

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
Some pretty major Great Western and Southern locos are still missing from the RTR range such as a Manor and a decent County of both the Churchward and Hawksworth designs, a Saint is also a key missing piece. I'm not sure whether they will produce a Southern design considering they produced a Lord Nelson this year but a U class, H15, W or Z would be nice.
I agree with Bill that a re-tooled Auto coach or B sets would be nice.

Regards Connor

CC Weathering Services: https://ccgwr1.wixsite.com/ccweatheringservices/
CC Weathering Services Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ccweatheringservices/

Posted
Rating:
The rumour mills have been very quiet this time.

I don't know what the chances are, but I would like to see some pre-grouping coaches and wagons to go with the lovely locos Hornby, Bachmann, Dapol and even Hatton's have been producing.

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill. I am still after a Peckett, Hattons have a preorder list, including the “ Port of London Authority “. One would be ideal for one of my planks?    Best wishes for the new year. Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Not really a potential new launch item for 2019, but a truly great little loco Kevin and you will not be disappointed! I picked one up on my last visit from Ace Models in Eastleigh and have no idea yet as to what will come back with me next time, as I've just booked my ferry for the SMRS Eastleigh show next month, followed by a 'how to' course at Pendon Museum.

How about some GW top-light stock for 2019, 20 or 21 then Mr Hornby?

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.  Thank you for your reply. Back in the day, when I was working, as a guard on London Underground, some of the old stock “ Q “ to be precise had Clerestory roofs . A sort of top light ? Before the light went out? Painted over/ plastered with canvas or whatever.   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Bill. I am still after a Peckett, Hattons have a preorder list, including the “ Port of London Authority “. One would be ideal for one of my planks?    Best wishes for the new year. Kevin 
Rails of Sheffield are currently selling some Pecketts for £79.50p.  Have a look here:
Terry

Posted
Rating:
81C
I was on a tour of Didcot Museum this year where we were told about the Saint class loco which is in it's final stage of build had been scanned I assume this would have been Hornby as there is no one else currently producing large mainline locomotive models.
Toplights are a no no at the moment Slaters have said they will recommence making there kits but no date given there might be issues with Cooper-Craft who were the current owners (?) of the moulds, if any of the other manufacturers thought they could make money out of producing them they would have been on the market long ago the tooling for these would be expensive due to the amount of panelling detail.

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Well I reckon the range is good but somewhat mediocre.
I am very excited for the GWR suburban coaches but surprisingly neither are the diagrams for B sets- bit disappointing. A GWR large prairie is good as well but I reckon it is just competition to Dapol's release similarly the new Terrier a competition to the Rails of Sheffield upcoming model . A new Princess is good for LMS modellers and some Pecketts for the industrial modeller and they certainly seem to have catered for modern market, plenty of coaches there. BUT STILL NO GWR MANOR! :shock: :roll: :hmm

Regards Connor

CC Weathering Services: https://ccgwr1.wixsite.com/ccweatheringservices/
CC Weathering Services Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ccweatheringservices/

Posted
Rating:
Hi Connor,

Yes, a dozen new Collets, but at £10 more expensive than the previous issue, a modest four car rake is almost a couple of hundred pounds. I was surprised they're re-issing the old GWR Dean single and the Triang Clerestories and even the longer Clerestories, but the extra cash will give them much needed income.

Yes, shame about the Manor, but then there's always Dapol's Mogul.

I guess my two Airfix B sets will get madeover pretty soon then!

Bill

Sob, still no autocoach!

Posted
Rating:
Correction regarding B sets. They're there and appear better than ever:

Hornby - New tooling - 57' Bow-ended suburban coaches - Hornby - RMweb

I'll wait and see what prices Hatton's can discount them to.

Happier,

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Having looked at the 'range' I think many will be a bit disappointed. There are a lot of old reissues - lucky for me the original clerestories return, I seem to have spent a long time rebuilding them into all sorts of things! As well as issuing the Hornby Electrotren spanish 0-6-0ST in various industrial liveries with a more UK body. Otherwise it all looks a bit disappointing, the LSWR Brake Van is one of the less common types rather than a Road Van which was also built, with slight alterations during WW1 for other railways such as the Caledonian and GE - I have a picture of one on the Stour Valley line in the 1950's with a J15. The Bulleid coaches are useful but most of the range seems to be renumbered and lots of them variations of the same vehicle. Lots of FGW and Scotrail Mk3's with different numbers for example. I think I may go back to Hornby Dublo 3 rail….

Oh well back to the asylum

Posted
Rating:
Pretty much all on Hatton's website at a tad less than RRP and yep, had to order some coaches!

Bill

Posted
Rating:
[user=211]CCGWR[/user] wrote:
Well I reckon the range is good but somewhat mediocre.
I am very excited for the GWR suburban coaches but surprisingly neither are the diagrams for B sets- bit disappointing. A GWR large prairie is good as well but I reckon it is just competition to Dapol's release similarly the new Terrier a competition to the Rails of Sheffield upcoming model . A new Princess is good for LMS modellers and some Pecketts for the industrial modeller and they certainly seem to have catered for modern market, plenty of coaches there. BUT STILL NO GWR MANOR! :shock: :roll: :hmm

Regards Connor
Re the Terrier.  If the Hornby version is just the same old tired model with a new livery then it won't be any competition for the new Rails of Sheffield (Dapol) model, which I understand will be a scaled down version of the O Gauge model.  For instance, the Hornby model has FOUR sandboxes!  Ironically, the Hornby model was first produced by Dapol!
Terry 

Posted
Rating:
Regarding the Terrier, it's new tooling:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141090-hornby-new-tooling-terrier/

Looks rather good and will be in six liveries.

Bill

Posted
Rating:
[user=1814]Longchap[/user] wrote:
Pretty much all on Hatton's website at a tad less than RRP and yep, had to order some coaches!

Bill
Likewise:thumbs

I have also ordered a large prairie and cancelled my Dapol pre-order. I understand Hornby have been working on the prairie since 2017 and are likely to deliver mid 2019.

Dapol have been fairly quiet about their prairie…..the initial CADs were savaged by some some very knowledgeable guys……I wouldnt be surprised if they let it pass. Their Mogul, on the other hand, looks very promising

All that remains is for Bachmann to announce a re tooled Manor on the 19th :roll:

Cheers

John

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
81C
There are still some doubt's about the Mogul "CADS", I'm waiting till at least the "EP" stage before pre-order if it cuts the mustard.The Hornby GWR Suburbans have been ordered the photo's on other forums show them to be very good.

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bob. I don’t know if I missed the announcement??? But I have just noticed on Hattons website “ Hornby UK “ and there was  I thinking that all Hornby stuff was made in China.   Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
81C
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Bob. I don’t know if I missed the announcement??? But I have just noticed on Hattons website “ Hornby UK “ and there was  I thinking that all Hornby stuff was made in China.   Best wishes Kevin 
I can't say I noticed Hornby is a registered company and all the models I've been buying have been made in China apart from some obsolete UK made items which need heavy upgrade work done to them, I've quiet a few new Colletts that run with the UK made restaurant coaches with rebuilt ends, gas tanks, better looking brake parts vac' tanks, new roof vents (Comet parts)and metal wheels (Bachmann prefered better fit in to the bogies) as for the non-corridor Colletts I hope the buffers are the correct size unlike the corridor versions which are undersize the usual shot one's self in the foot or fall on the sword Hornby type of error, still they have done us proud and upstaged the likes of Bachmann & Dapol in the process.Bob

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.