Bachmann 2016 Announcements

Posted
Rating:
#214018 (In Topic #11681)
RFS
Full details announced yesterday here - http://www.mremag.com/index.php/news/720-bachmann2016

Many interesting announcements including an SR 2-HAP.

Last edit: by RFS

Robert
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Many interesting announcements and not confined to rolling stock either.

The BR 2Hap is a logical follow-on from the 2EPB and has much commonality of design.  It is possible the tooling for the 2H Thumper might have been made available for the trailer coach though I believe that tool is actually owned by the commissioning retailer Kernow MRC.

The units to be produced are not "SR 2Hap" sets which were to an earlier and very different design.  To the lay observer the major obvious difference was the body profile which on the SR units was in a more or less continuous curve from the roof to the tumblehome at the frame - though the extent of curvature varied - whereas the "BR" design has a pronounced break of curve at the cant rail where the roof joins the body sides.  

There are of course many other less apparent differences such as the SR units not having any roof overhanging the cab ends whereas the BR ones have a slight extension of roof above the cab windows.

The same comments apply to 2EPB and 4EPB units all of which were also built to "SR" and "BR" designs though strictly all were designed by the Southern Railway with BR Southern Region modifying the existing designs for later builds.

Many would remember the 2Hap units in all-blue so it is perhaps curious that this livery is not (yet) offered.  It may be held back for later release or possibly has been "bagged" by a retailer as a commission as occurred with the all-blue 4Cep units.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
While hopefully not taking us too far off-topic, the SR-style 2 HAP units described by Rick were, ironically, built to the earlier Bulleid-based design but built later than the first of the BR standard-style design (as being modelled by Bachmann). The reasons for this were that, together with a batch of 2 EPBs, they were built using recycled Southern underframes from scrapped 2 NOL units. These underframes were to a slightly shorter length than the BR standard Mark 1 frames and, therefore, could not take the standard, jig-bult BR bodies, but could use the SR Bulleid design (also jig-built) as adapted for the 4 and 2 EPB units, with the driver's cabs having side windows and no direct-access doors.

I have a resin kit from Ayjay Models (through Radley Models) but have used Hornby 2 BIL chassis under the kit bodies and seating units - the 2 BILs using very similar underframe designs to the 2 NOLs.

The BR standard and Bulleid-style designs could happily intermix for multiple working purposes, but in the case of the HAPs were usually separated geographically, although both designs of the 2 and 4 EPB units were freely mixed.

That's not going to stop me mixing a couple of the Bachmann units with my existing SR-style one, when the Bacchy ones eventually arrive.

Edit: Additional: The BR standard HAPs were built in at least five different batches, so the later ones were not built until the early sixties. Each batch had differences in the roof equipment, with the first lot having exposed conduits like the earlier Kernow class 205 units (at least, like 1115 that I have in my possession - I believe they may also have done later units with smooth roofs too). The last batch of HAPs had smooth roofs with vents and a distinctive angled rain strip on each side for most of the length of each roof. Bachmann initially seem to have chosen units from one of the later batches, but not that last batch.

Last edit: by SRman

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Not too much in the list for we "northerners" ………..:cry::cry::cry:

Interesting to not 2016 will be seen as a "year of consolidation" - i.e. Kader want to see some return before they invest much more. :roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I'm afraid Bachmann won't be getting any of my money for the foreseeable future.  No point in buying their catalogue this year.  Oh well, time to 'consolidate' what I already have and concentrate on building my new layout.

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Like Terry, the layout takes precedence for me as well, although a GWR 64xx (can't have too many panniers!) and the overdue 45xx will be hard to resist, as it's about time I replaced my aged Lima version.

Bill :)

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Nowt for me from the Farish part of Bachman, I don't do DCC, sound or  GWR so £200+ for a DCC/sound Castle  doesn't appeal, I can probably get half a dozen Poole Farish for less than that on fleabay.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Nothing much of interest to me although I note that some carriages will now come with a passenger option - will be interesting to see whether that's worth looking at.

No sign of the 38-726  Warflat Bogie Flat Wagon WD Bronze Green that was initially announced in 2014 maybe next year ? :roll:

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software

Posted
Rating:
The appearance and the cost of the coaches with passengers include will be worth looking at.  Also how many passengers Bachmann choose to include.

Rick
Layouts here and here
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.