Bachmann 105 and 108 DMU's

Posted
Rating:
#205518 (In Topic #11286)
Guest user

Which kind of 6 pin decoder

I have some Bavhmann class 105 and 108 DMZu's that take both 8 pin and 6 pin decoders. The 8 pin to power the driving car and the 6 pin for the dummy cars which does the lighting.

I have been looking at 6 pin decoders but I am not sure which version to buy. …….. Not manufacturer but physical type. I have not opened the units up yet and am trying to avoid it until time of fitting so was wondering if anyone has fitted these out before and can tell me which kind I need.

If necessary I'll just open one up.

I notice some 6 pin have the pins standing on end and others on the face as per their 8 pin and 21 pin cousins.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
If the 105 is fairly new and the same model as mine, you'll need an eight pin in the trailer car Toto.

Any make should be ok as long as it's the same physical size or smaller than the Bachmann 36-553 (it's only for the lights).

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=12700&forum_id=16&highlight=bachmann+105

The 108 may be a six pin in the trailer car, but you need to check.

Ed

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Toto,

If it's just the lights you only need an accessory decoder. If you use a cheap motor decoder just for the accessory functions you may have problems reading the CV's as some makes need to have the  motor circuits in place and readable.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

Ahhhhh , now that rings a bell. Paul, maybe that's why the DMU yesterday was a little troublesome. We used two loco decoders, maybe an accessory decoder would be best. have to look into that a bit more as they should be cheaper as well. that'll be a first.

cheers

toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1505]toto[/user] wrote:

Ahhhhh , now that rings a bell. Paul, maybe that's why the DMU yesterday was a little troublesome. We used two loco decoders, maybe an accessory decoder would be best. have to look into that a bit more as they should be cheaper as well. that'll be a first.

cheers

toto

Ain't that the make of decoder that Nigel just found out were pirated?

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13788&forum_id=10#p248752

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Bang to rights Guv. Thems the ones. 

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Yeah, shouldn't encourage the pirates just to save a couple of pieces of eight. There is also no knowing the potential for these to mess up and cause greater damage. A bit of a false economy possibly.

I'll wait until I get one opened up, possibly later today and see what will fit. I may also just phone Hattons and see what they advise as a suitable decoder. Hopefully low cost given it's purpose.

I'll let you know.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Did you think of contacting Bachmann themselves for their suggestions?

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
That's an idea Ron. I may just do that. I wonder if will end up buying a load of Bachmann 6 pin decoders.:mutley

Could be interesting.

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
If I remember rightly, my DMU needed a 6 pin in the trailer car - pins on the short end of the chip, not the face.  It's mounted in the lavatory, as expected, standing upright …………………..

I don't think anyone makes a 6 pin accessory decoder - I remember thinking it was a bit of over-kill to make us buy a full function decoder just for the lights but that's the way it seemed.

Maybe things have changed over the last few years ………………:roll::roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Petermac,

I think you are right. Hattons have pointed me I the direction of the Bachmann version at £15 a shot.

What can you do. There should be a decoder specifically for this as you do feel a bit cheated. Still, just have to bite the bullet.

Cheers toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
The way I programmed my Cl 105, was……

Decoders used - a pair of Hattons 8 pin harnes decoders.

Decoder 1 fitted into the motor trailer.

Set up in JMRI, and added to the roster.

Decoder 2 fitted into dummy trailer

In JMRI roster entry for the motor trailer selected, and opened in program on main (POM) mode.

Then write all pages selected, this copies all the settings to the decoder, but doesn't need the acknowledge from the motor.

The Hatton's decoders have a lock facility (acces via the last tab in top row JMRI),

set to 1 for motor trailer, and 3 for lights only.

The same method was used for the Cl108.

For the 6 pin, if it wont read within the dummy trailer, then maybe a bit of lateral thinking, install the decoder into one of the Cl 03's, read all sheets, make the changes - name/ number etc. Then write all sheets, save to the roster as the same as the motor trailer, but with dummy in the name. Now remove the decoder and install into dummy trailer.

If you ever need to re-program the dummy trailer, use POM mode and write all sheets.

Paul

Last edit: by paul_l

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.