Hornby R253 Diesel Dock Shunter

Posted
Rating:
#140076 (In Topic #7545)
Guest user

DCC conversion

Hi Guy's,

No doubt this subject has been covered many times before. Quick and simple conversion of this little feisty loco.

First of all the loco should run smothly on DC, if not give it a service, if running smoothly on DC you will acheive excellent results on DCC.  The smooth wheel sets are prefered as the older knurled type do not run on track 100 points (they short out).
Secondly the stall current needs to be found to know what decoder to use. In This particular case I used A TCS M1 1amp Continuous and 2amp stall

Quick rundown of where the decoder wires go.

1/ Orange Decoder wire soldered to top Right Hand Brush
2/ Grey Decoder wire soldered to top Left Hand Brush
3/ Red Decoder wire soldered to the pick up wire that goes to the pick up wiper.
4/ Black Decoder wire soldered to the earthing eye where the headlamp eart was.

To insulate the motor both side of the Brush Spring needs to be insulated that is it.  The right side is already insulated, the left side can be insulated with two 1.5mm heat shrink tubing or similar.

The head lamp. I used a 3mm white LED. 470hm resistor soldered to the +ve side of the LED (long wire) Blue Decoder wire soldered to the resistor. White decoder wire soldered to the short wire on the LED Do not forget to put heat shrink over the Blue decoder wire, the resistor and the white decoder wire.

Test and all should be OK. Simple.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the post
:thumbs

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Yojic,
Please can you me (us) where you got the replacement wheels from ?

I have two of these locos and would love to use them on Code 75 trackwork.
Cheers
Stu

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Thanks for that David. Very clear.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=465]Stubby47[/user] wrote:
Hi Yojic,
Please can you me (us) where you got the replacement wheels from ?

I have two of these locos and would love to use them on Code 75 trackwork.
Cheers
Stu
Hi Stu,

As these locos a old parts for them are difficult to find, I changed the wheels out for the smooth type from an old US chassis I had. I also have two more of these that need refurbishing and I am trying to find the smooth wheels myself.

Dave
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi There Yojic.   It looks like I have missed the boat( read Loco) on this one, but I would appreciate some advice.Is this loco like the Hornby 06 008 Blue Shunter that I am going to work on???  As my soldering isn't alway perfect,
I am looking for advice on the best wattage soldering iron and tip size to use when soldering either Decoder s
or multi pin plugs. Please advise.  Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi There Yojic.   It looks like I have missed the boat( read Loco) on this one, but I would appreciate some advice.Is this loco like the Hornby 06 008 Blue Shunter that I am going to work on???  As my soldering isn't alway perfect,
I am looking for advice on the best wattage soldering iron and tip size to use when soldering either Decoder s
or multi pin plugs. Please advise.  Kevin

Kevin,  Yojic is no longer a member - see his name in Purple with the words underneath

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron. Thank you for your reply. I knew that, but was hoping to get some assistance from other contributors .All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
The better way then is not to add to an old thread where the originator is no longer a member but create a new thread.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.  I did begin a new thread , but not many takers.  Kevin

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.