MTH 80-2334-1 ES44AC 8102 pro sound 3

Posted
Rating:
#232072 (In Topic #12706)

pending xmas gift

H i,  this will be opened on xmas day. However for now i would like to know if anyone has these locos. Will it operate with Hornby Elite controller. thanks. john
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Can I suggest you contact MTH direct ?

Main Contact Form | MTH ELECTRIC TRAINS

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
MTH  (Mike's Train House), operates on a system similar to but not the same as, DCC.

I think that he calls it DCS.  MTH locos will run with conventional DCC, but there may be some functions missing.

As Sol says, contact MTH direct.  They are very helpful.

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,

The major issue with Protosound 3 (and earlier versions) is setting or changing the address. There are workarounds for most systems so the Hornby one should work. As long as Hornby stuck to the dcc standards. You normally won't be able to use any system in programming track mode. Has to be done on the main. See their website for the fixes. Most modelers I know change it for regular dcc decoders as full compatability requires the Protosound controller.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
thank you gentlemen. I have no problem with changing address, as it can stay at 03. MTH, i dont think, will know anything about the Hornby Elite, as they are on a completely different system. Again, i am happy about that. I would just like to know what sound functions will not work, and have already emailed them asking, just this. I was really hoping that a member or two, had these locos , so i could pick their brains. john

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,

The short address is simple, the long address, well, long-winded. I have read that the long address is usually the engine number, so probably no need to change. And I checked, only programming on the main. Which means it needs the full DCC voltage, not the reduced one on the programming track. If you plan on getting more MTH engines with DCS  get the control system from MTH (or a better DCC system). From observing a few operate with the DCS system (which is very good), you need up to 27 function keys.The Hornby Elite supports up to F28, so you should be OK (I have no idea who makes the Elite for them). Where life gets difficult is if MTH upgrades the software in the decoder (which they do fairly often), for that you need the DCS firmware to install it, or you send it (the engine I understand) back to MTH. Bit like QSI decoders, although there you send the decoder.

MTH have work-around solutions for for most DCC systems such as Digitrax, MRC Prodigy/Gaugemaster, NCE, Lenz, Marklin,…but not Hornby. As I said, as long as Hornby followed NMRA specifications you should be fine.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi, Nigel, thanks. john

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Any photo of this loco John?  Cant find it anywhere.

reg

Posted
Rating:
Hi Reg,

Look under 80-2334-1 on the website. Plenty of info on the web about these GE heavyweights. Really nice model. See also thedieselshop.us

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
I did email MTH, 6 days ago, with no reply to date. Price of these is not too bad, when you look at the functions, and the lighting. Looked at several you tube vids, which show it in a good light. Also has an uncoupling function. john

Posted
Rating:
My original MTH, now working perfectly. Thank you all for your help.  Moving on, I was so impressed with these locos, i bought another,, 80-2090-1, and ran in to a new prob. This one, is new, made in 2011, but only on display. Put it on DCC, Nothing. Pressed function 3, to start it up, nothing. Carefully, oiled it, placed on DC, and sound worked fine, but it would not move. Then it gently did, and now after 20 mins in each direction, it runs fine, with sound on. Returned to DCC track, nothing, will not move, or turn on. Frustrating, Any suggestions,, most welcome. john
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.