Model Railroader 102 Realistic Track Plans

Posted
Rating:
#34262 (In Topic #2207)
I received my copy three days ago and feel moved by the spirit of modeling to review this "Special Issue" and recommend it - as it's brilliant.  Yes there are 102 track plans, not so much for copying but for inspiration.  All scales (gauges) from O to N are well represented in sections:  

Very small layouts (the smallest, in square footage,  is in HO 2'3" X 5'2", and in N 1'9" X 3'6")

4 x 8's  Lots of those!

"Compact Layouts for a spare bedroom"  No mention of where the mother-in-law will sleep, however.  But the Editor's choice of the HO 10 X 11'6" Glass Rock layout might keep her up all night!  

"Medium Layouts."  A 'medium' example would be 11 x 12 feet.

"Layouts for Large Spaces." In HO that one goes up to 11'6" X 22'4", and in O up to 19 x 30 feet.  Heigh-ho :roll:

In between the plans are some good articles on:

Introduction to track planning
Setting standards in curves, turnouts and tracks
Layout schematics
Figuring grades and clearances
Converting track plan scales

I'm still browsing… but at $7.95 USD plus shipping to wherever, this is a good, if not great planning reference book.  

No, despite my regular correspondence with David Popp, I don't work for Kalmbach Publishing :roll::roll::roll:  I just think that for the price this is a good thing to have on the shelf :thumbs

Last edit: by rector

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Some of the Kalmbach books find their way over here to our retailers, so may be there's a chance of picking it up here. Is this one in the soft-back "magazine format", Tim :question Probably more chance of it's arrival if it is, as newsagents that stock the monthly Model Railroader may have it.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Yes it is in that format, Jeff.  If you see a copy - snap it up at once!
Online now: No Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.