My topics and threads I started

Posted
Rating:
#287033 (In Topic #21577)
Hi Admins. Has the option for 'My topics' or 'Topics / Threads I started' completely gone or is it a little more hidden within the new forum design software?
Thanks
Paul
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Breaker of Things
breakage is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’

Padster said

Hi Admins. Has the option for 'My topics' or 'Topics / Threads I started' completely gone or is it a little more hidden within the new forum design software?
Thanks
Paul

Hey Paul

Working on it - I'm not sure i can give users exactly that option but there is now a button for topics I've posted in which is hopefully a half-way-house for now!

Signatures? Where we're going we don't need no stinking signatures!

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I know folk have asked about Topics and Topics I've started which is something on the to do list. You do now have a button for 'Topics I've posted in' which helps. But just a thought, Everybody  comes to, and browses the forum via a Web browser. Pretty much every one of these has a powerful, built in bookmarks/ favorates  system. In almost all of them you can set up a bookmarks bar or a speed dial page or a folder system. In some, more than one option !  

When you first visit ( or in this case re visit) a Topic, simply bookmark it - when you do so for the first time, decide what option will work best for you and set it up. In my case using either Firefox or Opera, I've  hit a bookmark and then set up a new folder - My YMRC Topics. Now I'm  just going to bookmark the page  each time I visit a topic I want to save, and put it in that folder. BUT if you wish, you can set up a much more comprehensive  system of folders and sub folders, more so than you could ever do in your Profile in The old site. Try it !

I've  used browser bookmarks for some time now and I simply click on a saved bookmark which brings me  in to YMRC to the front page, (logging  in if necessary) where I can browse Forums or recents to see what's new. THEN if I want to go to a topic I'm  interested in, that I've  been to once, and saved a bookmark for, it takes  seconds to click on the relevant browser  button to open bookmarks, and click on the one I want. I tend to open this in a new tab. Why ? Because my first tab tends to sit open on the front page.  

I  either :- right click and select 'Open in new tab' on a computer using the mouse, OR press and hold on a tablet/ phone (touch screen) and then select 'Open in new tab'. This will open the saved bookmark in a new tab (you will STILL be logged in to YMRC on this new tab) where you can do whatever you wish.

DON'T  FORGET on ANY  page within the forum you have a breadcrumb trail. Right now it shows I'm  down in.    'MY TOPICS AND THREADS I'VE STARTED'       which is in 'ANNOUNCEMENTS'      which is in.   'FORUM HOME'       You can use this breadcrumb trail to navigate back up the forum trail. simply clicking.   'ANNOUNCEMENTS '     on that trail would move me up one level to it.  So if you had navigated to.  'MEMBERS PERSONAL LAYOUTS'     To look at, and were now IN 'GRANBY', but now wanted to check out.   'TEASEL BAY'    you simply click on.    'MEMBERS PERSONAL  LAYOUTS'    In the breadcrumb trail and your back up one level where the layout  list is. Of course if you have previously bookmarked.   'TEASEL BAY'    you COULD use your saved bookmark.

I keep the FIRST tab open at the front of the forum so even if I'm involved in something  burried  further down in the forum I can flick to that FIRST tab to check new posts or reply to something else and then flick back to the tab I was working in, without having to Re navigate to it from the front page. Sometimes I can have multiple  tabs open at once, sitting on pages I'm  working on, watching, referencing, waiting for a response on etc etc flicking back and forward between them. Give it a try, you soon get quite used to it 👍

As an Aside, when I was over working on the Forum with Breakage earlier in the week, he was on his main computer, working on double wide screens, with several different platforms, packages and browsers open in split screens and I honestly couldn't  count how many dozens  of tabs he had open and running at once !  😮😦😱🫣

HTH

Cheers

Matt

Last edit: by Barchester

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Many thanks Breakage and Matt ... all understood and thanks for all the efforts.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.