Oil Burning 2884 class

Posted
Rating:
#240273 (In Topic #13304)

3D printed oil tank

Hi Everyone,

A year or so ago I posted an inquiry about converting a GW loco to oil burning:
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=14189&forum_id=13
While the solutions suggested in that post were valid, they weren't exactly the easiest or most accessible options.

Enter the use and my second venture into 3D printing, my latest project: Converting a Coal burner to an Oil burner, specifically a Great Western 2884 class.
 The idea behind this came up when I purchased a second hand Hornby  2884 from a local modeller who had taken the DCC socket out, so it was  cheap but nothing was wrong with it apart from a hole in the tender and  the need to hard-wire the decoder.
 It was the right livery for the era the oil burners existed so I went  for it. The tank and filler hose was from Shapeways (3D printed) and  painted (by me), it is currently just sitting in the tender but will  probably be glued. Plus a few more things need to be done to it like  renumbering, adding a cab side sheet, fitting the supplied details and a  little weathering but I'm happy with the results so far.

The beginning of the project, the Hornby 2884 no. 3803.

The 3D printed tank and filler hose.

The 3D printed tank in the loco before painting.

The painted tank.

The painted tank and filler hose sitting in the loco.

A birds eye view.

A rear view.

The loco by the way is no. 3803 which was never an oil burner so  it will be numbered to 4855 (3813) which was the only one of the class  to be based at Laira during this time which is the closest shed to where  I'm modelling. Question, this particular loco had the route and power  classification on the cab window side sheet which I will need to add.  Does anyone know if someone like Fox transfers have GWR power  classification discs?

Regards Connor

CC Weathering Services: https://ccgwr1.wixsite.com/ccweatheringservices/
CC Weathering Services Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ccweatheringservices/
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Fantastic work there, Connor. It is always good to see something a little different, too.   :thumbs :thumbs

:cheers

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
I’m afraid I dont know Conner but you can always ask them…or get some transfer paper to go in your printer and print your own. Did you do the CAD model of the oil tank yourself? It looks great.
Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
[user=19]Marty[/user] wrote:
I’m afraid I dont know Conner but you can always ask them…or get some transfer paper to go in your printer and print your own. Did you do the CAD model of the oil tank yourself? It looks great.
Marty
Cheers Marty,

The printer may have to be a last resort as we don't have a working colour one at the moment, good suggestion though.

As far as the tank and filler hose goes, no, they are not my design but they are from 'Stafford Works' shop I think, it is in the list of Shapeways shops in the 3D printing forum page if you are interested. Not sure any of those designs would fit your N gauge locos though, haha :lol:.

Regards Connor

CC Weathering Services Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ccweatheringservices/

Posted
Rating:
Hi Connor

I don't model GWR but notice that Modelmaster list a number of GWR loco transfers in their range including coloured discs and numbers.  I thought that the coloured discs were for route restrictions but I will be happily proved wrong by a GWR modeller!!

Hope that helps

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
[user=2006]Barry Miltenburg[/user] wrote:
Hi Connor

I don't model GWR but notice that Modelmaster list a number of GWR loco transfers in their range including coloured discs and numbers.  I thought that the coloured discs were for route restrictions but I will be happily proved wrong by a GWR modeller!!

Hope that helps

Barry
Power and Route. The disc colour indicated route restriction and the number within the disc power

The conversion looks great……very tempting……need to check if they got to the NW

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Looks really smart Conner
I have recently considered getting a 3D printer even the wife suggested it , But i do wonder with all these small companies offering railway parts like you have just got is it worth the effort of learning how to use one and printing it yourself.

Brian

OO gauge DCC ECOS Itrain 4 computer control system

Posted
Rating:
At the risk of hijacking Conner’s thread, my apologies, I’ll jump in quickly here and say that after a fair bit of research into 3D printing I came to the conclusion that the current material (extruded plastic) available in most home printers doesn’t give me a smooth enough detail for modelling. Especially in N gauge. The more common method of 3D printing is to create the 3D design yourself in one of the modelling packages available and send the file to a 3D printing house that has much more expensive machines printing in a medium capable of finer detail. 
Having said that, I expect, in the not to distant future, technology to catch up and price to come down and a viable modelling home printer to arrive. Then I’m in.

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:
[user=2006]Barry Miltenburg[/user] wrote:
Hi Connor

Hope that helps

Barry
Power and Route. The disc colour indicated route restriction and the number within the disc power

The conversion looks great……very tempting……need to check if they got to the NW
Correct John and Barry, Sorry I did mean exactly what you two said with the discs being route restriction and letters being power classification I just did not indicate that.

John, the Great Western Archive indicates the sheds that the 2800/2884s were based at 1947 and also indicate which members of the class were oil burners although I had a quick look and it seemed the oil burners shedded closest North Wales was Llanely and Ebbw Junction although neither are particularly close to Granby. Maybe you could have one that was based at Old Oak Common and justify it on a loco coal train or the like.
Great Western Railway, 2800 class details, 2800 - 2883
Great Westburyern Railway, 2884 class details, 2884 - 3866

Regards Connor 

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.