Playing Dirty

Posted
Rating:

Rick's adventures on the weathering bench

Well well.  It has apparently been three years since I was here.  I haven't been idle on the weathering bench but many of the results have already appeared on layout topics.

I recently purchased a trio of Dapol "Grampus" steel-bodied ballast wagons.   Two have been weathered using rust and black; the third has those plus dark green.  The plastic load has also been stippled with a mix of colours from "dirty white" to black with a couple of shades of buff in the mix too.  The lighting used may have washed out a little of the effect especially on the ballast loads.

IMG_6765.jpg

Rick
Layouts here and here
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5 (Liked by Claus Ellef)
Here's a few OO-9 items which have been somewhat dirtied up since leaving their boxes.  Two Bachmann Baldwin-outline steam locos have received different levels of weathering.  The lighter of the two had been the "in service" loco when the layout is on show with the well-rusted one shown as the outof-service spare.  It could have been hastily pressed into service had the other failed on show but it never has.  I then accidentally discovered that the "rusty" one is fitted with a sound chip! It wasn't sold as as sound-fitted and I run DC so I was very surprised when it suddenly emitted hissing and chuffing.  It has therefore shared duties on the layout's last two outings.  The "manager's saloon" is a grimy Peco 4-wheeler and the wagons are again Peco items; they are credible representations of the ubiquitous "rugga" V-skip wagoin of which thousands were built for many indistrial lines.  I have nibbled the edges with Xuron cutters and pliers, applied a costing of rust and then loaded one rake (9 wagons) with small ballast as loads.  The other rake of 9 is the empty set so that a train can run loaded from the quarry and return empty.  A few wagons are intentionally broken as scrap and left lying around as would often be found on industrial lines.

IMG_5005.JPG IMG_5052.JPG IMG_6040.JPG

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
All looks good, Rick. Nice surprise with the sound loco.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:

Gwiwer said

Well well.  It has apparently been three years since I was here.  I haven't been idle on the weathering bench but many of the results have already appeared on layout topics.

I recently purchased a trio of Dapol "Grampus" steel-bodied ballast wagons.   Two have been weathered using rust and black; the third has those plus dark green.  The plastic load has also been stippled with a mix of colours from "dirty white" to black with a couple of shades of buff in the mix too.  The lighting used may have washed out a little of the effect especially on the ballast loads.

IMG_6765.jpg

Very fine weathering 👍 What are you doing with the numbers?

Cheers,
Claus

Cheers,
Claus
www.flickr.com/photos/ellef/

Posted
Rating:

Claus Ellef said

Gwiwer said

IMG_6765.jpg

Very fine weathering 👍 What are you doing with the numbers?

Cheers,
Claus

Thank you.  I don't propose to change the wagon numbers as they are small enough to not be noticed at normal viewing distance.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5 (Liked by Ed)
I found some more pictures of those little skip wagons showing just how tiny they are.  And more detail of the "nibbled" edges, loading and weathering

IMG_1755.jpeg

IMG_1760.jpeg

IMG_2120.JPG

Rick
Layouts here and here
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.