A quickie van project

Posted
Rating:

Starting with a 20p toy!

Hi All

Thanks to feedback on another forum my Lutons now have a representation of Translucent roofs.

Another project that was a tad more involved than I first thought was my VW van.

The main thing was to file the windscreen aperature to allow a much wider window. Another minor mod was to thin the bumper down under the doors where it forms a step and drill out the headlights.

Cheers

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

Rule 1 - Model what you really see and not what you think you know!
www.p4newstreet.com
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Lovely weathering on both the VW van and the "white van man" collection Jim. :pathead:pathead

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Peter

Progress on my White arrow van

A little comparison of where it started from.

I am hoping this might end up another signature vehicle (like my WHSmiths lorry) that spark a few memories for people.

Cheers

Jim

Last edit: by jim s-w

Jim Smith-Wright

www.p4newstreet.com

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
It's looking good, Jim.  You must have quite a collection by now.

Do you still flatten the tyres on the bottom with sandpaper?

See, I was listening.  :lol:

Posted
Rating:
It did Jim. (bring back memories I mean. :thumbs)

How did you raise the roof ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I do max.  Remember to superglue the wheels solid first.

The below pic shows the work done to the LWB van.

The roof is simply 60 thou plasticard overlaid with microstrip and filled and sanded round the edges

Hth

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

www.p4newstreet.com

Posted
Rating:
Hi All

Been tidying up a few loose ends of stuff thats been OMWB for a long time.  So long that I forgot all about this one!

Another ford cargo combined out of a Corgi Cab, base toys chassis, unknown wheels and a body made using the Hornby Curtain sided van sides.

Cheers

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

www.p4newstreet.com

Posted
Rating:
Theres really no excuse for these 2 to have taken so long when you consider they were already built for me.

Mk3 Transits from the MBC kits.  These would have been really new in my era so the weathering is very light.

Cheers

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

www.p4newstreet.com

Posted
Rating:
Finally for today

A before and after shot showing what can be had from the toybox.  

In this case the Corgi mobile shop, narrowed, fitted with new wheels and the sides filled in to produce something more like a Mercedes 307D

Cheers

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

www.p4newstreet.com

Posted
Rating:
Hi All

A few more lorries for you

Another Dodge commando from a modified matchbox cab and a Base toys Leyland FG

A Base toys Roadtrain converted to a Freighter - below is how the cab was chopped up

This was re-assembled then the back cut off to loose the small window.  a spot of filler and some sanding and its done.

Cheers

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

www.p4newstreet.com

Posted
Rating:
And now a few cars

Austin Maestro from the 3D print from Paul Burkitt-Gray  For  more on the evolution of this model see http://www.rmweb.co.uk…-cad-3d-printing-project/

This next project was a bit of a suck it and see one - the Ford Sierra from the Hornby (um) thing.  Suck it and see because it it didnt work out its no big deal.  Below is what I came up with (with an original for comparison)

Cheers

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

www.p4newstreet.com

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
That is one heck of a collection you have now Jim and you must have the techniques required down to a fine art. A great topic to watch and admire.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Bob

Below, another mini adventure again using Corgi Mini's

On the left, the corgi mini with wheels and radiator grill from a springside kit I picked up cheaply and on the right a van I am converting to a clubman estate.  I just need to find another springside clubman kit going for next to nothing.  This one also has wheels from Springside.

Cheers

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

www.p4newstreet.com

Posted
Rating:
Hi All

Finished the modernised mini (if you can call something about 30 years old modernised), its shown here compared with the original version

As an aside this is Halfords ford signal yellow which is supposedly a good match for Warning panel yellow - as you can see its no where near.

Cheers

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

www.p4newstreet.com

Posted
Rating:
Now I am really asking for trouble - the VW beetle!

My friend had an 'oval' so i have attacked the oxford beetle.

So far I have filed off the canvas roof, added a small bit of filler to the upper windscreen corners (the windscreens seemed rounder on the oval beetles) and filed off the indicators.  the rear window was glued and filled and an oval cut into it (needs a bit more filler yet).  Luckily the oxford beetle has the smaller tail lights as per my friends car.

Cheers

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

www.p4newstreet.com

Posted
Rating:
[user=350]jim s-w[/user] wrote:
Now I am really asking for trouble - the VW beetle!

……………………………………..
Too right Jim - officianados of the marque will be watching like hawks - don't forget the very early models had the speedo in kms/p/h……………………………:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Your model looks very much like an oval beetle to me …………….:thumbs:thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=350]jim s-w[/user] wrote:
Hi All

A while ago there was a discussion (over on RMweb) about the Dodge Commer and mention made that the EFSI one is 4mm scale. So, suitably inspired I tracked one down and have produced this!

Along with the obligatory wheel swap I filed off the rear wheel arches and repositioned them lower down. I also changed the radiator and bonnet to represent a Diesel engined version. I wanted to try out an idea I had to reproduce the effect you get when old lettering is removed after a long time. So I printed out a logo in a very slightly darker red on transfer paper and then applied it to the model AFTER i had weathered it. Quite pleased with the result!

Cheers

Jim

Looks very nice, but depending on the colour the letters usually (once removed) are going to be either darker like in your pic or will be lighter (if reciently repainted in a darker colour when before the lettering was on a lighter colour), either way it looks fantastic and I can't wait to try something like this my self!! great work guys!!

On a different note, I am thinking of trying a project my self, but I would like to know how hard would it be to makke a car (or van) or two liik like they had a minor fender bender or somethign like that (think winter time cars sliding on ice and rear ending another at 15MPH or so)?? how hard would it be?

Last edit: by Jim S

Posted
Rating:
Hi All

Ive added some thoughts on Oxfords Transporter to my work bench

For more see http://www.p4newstreet.com/category/workbench

Cheers

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

www.p4newstreet.com

Posted
Rating:
Again, Jim, it's [litter-ally (!)] the little touches, the last van for instance, the pile of waste paper, maps and other cr%p that seem to find its way to the n/s of the dashboard of vans like that that adds to the credibility of the models. Any chance of seeing some of them queuing at that road junction you showed during the last ice-age, [the one with the gravel left at the keep-left sign islands…]?
Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.