The art of compromise.

Posted
Rating:

Finally gettiing out of my system.

I assumed that the Dapol signal would take its power from the Gaugemaster 100M controller.  Wrong!  I was confused when reading the signal installation notes that it had to be operated from a 'smoothed 'power supply.  Didn't have a clue what this meant so I emailed Gaugemaster who quickly replied with a link to the appropriate plug type transformer which they sell and is suitable.  I wired up the signal and the aspect lamp came on.  On pressing the push button switch - nothing!  It transpired that the push button switch on the control panel was faulty.  I binned it and quickly wired in another.  Here is the signal installed and working.
Terry
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Time to improve the grass embankments which looked neater and better cared for than my front lawn!  I teased out some foliage mat, in this case manufactured by WWS, other makes are available.  Using cheap extra hold hairspray, I sprayed the grassy areas and pushed the foliage mat into place.  A light sprinkle with red and white ground foam to represent poppies and daises, followed by another spray and all was done.  Here's the result
Doesn't look too bad, does it?
More soon.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
That definitely looks far more natural, good call.

D

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
[user=711]col.stephens[/user] wrote:
Hello Evan.  Thank you for your kind comments.
The kit has the brackets printed thereon, but I positioned the plastic downpipe over the join between the side and end walls.  This resulted in one side of the downpipe having no printed bracket showing.  Therefore, I touched it in with a black pen, so you are actually looking at half a printed bracket and half inked in. 
Regards,
Terry
Did you have to make any adjustments to the length of the roof components? [See my recent weighbridge/bothy post]

D

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
[user=711]col.stephens[/user] wrote:
Hello Ron.  It's much the same here in the UK.  However, I have previously had a problem, when ballasting the track, with the pva wicking up the front of the Scalescenes' platform and ruining same,…

Regards,
Terry
Spray shoe/suede protector seems to stop that, and dries matt.

D

Posted
Rating:
Hello Doug.  Re the small building above and your query, I have added a post to your weighbridge/bothy thread.
Thanks for your kind comments and the tip regarding the waterproofing spray.

Best wishes.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Problem? S'no problem…

D

Last edit: by Chubber

Posted
Rating:
With reference to the Southern Railway concrete lineside hut, as shown in the 159th post in this thread.  On reflection I decided that the colour, although attractive, would not fit very well with the rather muted colours already used on the other structures.  Accordingly, I decided to give the hut a repaint and finally arrived at the right shade on the third coat!
This is roughly where the hut will be fixed to the baseboard…
Terry

Posted
Rating:
My thoughts are now turning to the lineside fencing.  I recently acquired a couple of packets of these rather nice fence posts from Scale Model Scenery…
To save time, I shall paint them a dark brown colour whilst they are still on the sprue.  I think it's amazing that the holes are so accurately positioned.  These are far superior to some of the plastic varieties which I have previously used.
More soon.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry,

Looks laser cut. Nice holes. How thin are they?

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Terry, have you considered giving them a simple wash over with diluted Indian ink/smashed up black cartridge, [empty of course]. They look nice and fine, be a pity to bung up the holes etc with paint…

Douglas

Posted
Rating:
Nigel, the posts are 2mm square.

Doug. Good idea, thanks.  I have already given them a couple of thin washes of diluted brown/grey mix of acrylic paint. I blew hard on them which cleared any paint from the holes.

Regards to all.

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry,

I checked the website, they have proper 7 hole GWR ones. After drilling countless holes on 40 feet of posts a few years ago this looks to be a great improvement.

Re Douglas' comment: India Ink comes in all sorts of colors. Sleeper grey should be appropriate.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Nigel.

Last night I turned my attention to finding a suitable goods shed for the layout.
As Scalescenes' small station building is being used and the layout is quite small, I don't want a large goods shed which will dominate the scene and make it look unbalanced.  I also want a building which has character and is not the usual block with office attached.  Whilst perusing some old books I came across this drawing from 1955…
That will do very nicely, thank you.  Now, do I make it a brick built model to reflect the station building, or should it be of lighter construction such as clapboard?  Decisions, decisions!
Today's quiz:  name the author and the book from whence the drawing came.
More soon.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Nice shed Terry.  :thumbs

I wonder if it was a later addition to the station, in which case, it could have been a clapboard construction.  If it was built at the same time, I suspect they'd have used the same materials, i.e. brick …………

Re the author - my guess is it's not Joh n Ahearn - too "architect-like" and could the publication have been Railway Modeller ?  They reproduced many drawings like that …………….

In other words, I've no idea …………….. :roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry,

The shed at Lambourn is a nice small one. http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=12190&forum_id=14#p213996

Currently on the British Model Railway Club of Montréal layout. Smaller than the one you have, and a prototype.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry,

One suggestion for that signal in front of the bridge. Red on red is not good, a white painted rectangle on the brick behind the signal arm would be something different and prototypical.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hello Peter.  Thank you for your thoughts on the construction materials.  Makes sense.  Unfortunately, you are wrong about the publication, and it wasn't John Ahern.

Nigel.  Very nice goods shed.  Thanks for posting the photos.   Interesting suggestion re the signal.  Something to bear in mind when I get down to fine detailing.

Best wishes.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Re the fence posts shown in the 169th post.  On reading the instructions I find that the posts have to be spaced at 24mm (6ft in 4mm scale) and 2mm diameter holes have to be drilled in which to fit them.  Enter the patented col.stephens' fence post measurer and hole jig!  Simply hold the arrow against a previously fitted post, using the pre-drilled holes as a guide, drill four holes into the baseboard/scenery, remove the jig, glue in the posts and start again. 
More soon,
Terry

Posted
Rating:

Peco's water tank appeared to be just what was required to fit between the platform end and the starter signal.  I found it to be a nice model and simple to put together. Unfortunately, the external fittings such as the ladder are made from a soft springy polythene type of plastic.  I found it very difficult to cut flash away from the ladder rungs, it being almost impossible to get a sharp edge to the plastic. I suspect that the fittings are made from this springy plastic to prevent them from being damaged by rough handling.  Nevertheless, the kit made up into a fine model.  I gave the model a spray of Halford's grey primer, followed by a wash of runny brown acrylic paint.  This was followed by a light dusting of 'rust' weathering powder on the main tank.  The top of the tank is modelled to represent a planked cover.  I painted this with white acrylic with a hint of brown, followed by three washes of very watery brown to represent old wood. Here is the model ready to be fixed in situ…
More soon.
Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.