The art of compromise.

Posted
Rating:

Finally gettiing out of my system.

Terry

Its all looking wonderful and very much respectful of the original plan.

I would guess that your Goods Shed comes from Edward Beal.  I have a number of his books, written in a wonderful style that just oozes the 1940's and 50's.  If its not him or Ahern the perhaps a very early Freezer???

Barry

Last edit: by Barry Miltenburg

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=1632]BCDR[/user] wrote:
Hi Terry,

I checked the website, they have proper 7 hole GWR ones. After drilling countless holes on 40 feet of posts a few years ago this looks to be a great improvement.

Re Douglas' comment: India Ink comes in all sorts of colors. Sleeper grey should be appropriate.

Nigel
The black dries out to a silvery grey colour if the mix is not too strong, looks like weathered oak. Once dry it has the advantage of being water resistant when splashing round weathering/ballasting etc..

D

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
[user=711]col.stephens[/user] wrote:
Thank you Nigel.

Last night I turned my attention to finding a suitable goods shed for the layout.
As Scalescenes' small station building is being used and the layout is quite small, I don't want a large goods shed which will dominate the scene and make it look unbalanced.  I also want a building which has character and is not the usual block with office attached.  Whilst perusing some old books I came across this drawing from 1955…
That will do very nicely, thank you.  Now, do I make it a brick built model to reflect the station building, or should it be of lighter construction such as clapboard?  Decisions, decisions!
Today's quiz:  name the author and the book from whence the drawing came.
More soon.
Terry

Edward Beal A&C Black Ltd, 4,5, & 6 Soho Square, London W.1. "Modelling the Old-time Railways" Page 113.

One of the harder ones to find in good condition, n'est ce-pas? I too love a good 'peruse'!

D

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
Well done Barry and Doug.  Yes, Edward Beal, 'Modelling the Old Time Railways'.  Wonderful book.  Full of interesting modelling ideas.  I also have his other book, 'Railway Modelling in Miniature'.  Another excellent book full of wonderful drawings.

Regards,

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Today I fitted the water tank in place by inserting small bolts through the holes in the corners of the base and fixed with small nuts.  The bolts were trimmed and a lick of paint finished the job.  The drain was fabricated from  Sankey Scenics' items.
All that is needed now is some gloss varnish on the ground to represent the water which is always splashed around these areas.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
"Now, do I make it a brick built model to reflect the station building, or should it be of lighter construction such as clapboard?  Decisions, decisions!"

Lambourne had a wooden shed almost identical to that one with a brick built station building. Watlington also had a brick built station building and a largish wooden goods shed, in dark [tarred?] clapboard although it did have an office on one end and one window overlooking the weighbridge plate.  

Douglas

Posted
Rating:
This is how this little scene is shaping up…
Jobs to do next:  insert the fence posts into the scenery and turn my attention to building the goods shed.
Terry.

Posted
Rating:
[user=312]Chubber[/user] wrote:
"Now, do I make it a brick built model to reflect the station building, or should it be of lighter construction such as clapboard?  Decisions, decisions!"

Lambourne had a wooden shed almost identical to that one with a brick built station building. Watlington also had a brick built station building and a largish wooden goods shed, in dark [tarred?] clapboard although it did have an office on one end and one window overlooking the weighbridge plate.  

Douglas
Thanks Doug.
Regards,
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Water tank looks 'the business' Terry  :thumbs

Ed

Last edit: by Ed

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Ed.  Very kind.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
I have been pondering over platform fencing.  The various plastic items available always appear to be too thick and chunky.  Step forward Model Railway Scenery who produce a finely finished product, laser cut from .75mm greyboard.  Yes, it's actually cardboard!  My initial surprise was quickly overcome when I assembled the first piece however, as it makes up into a sturdy item.  After all, you are not going to jump on the platform fencing, are you? In the pack you get 120cm of fencing, four ramp sections, and double and single gates.  Excellent value for just over £8 sterling. 

A quick spray of the appropriate colour and we are on our way!
Question?  Would the fencing be fitted with the horizontal rails facing the platform or the other way round?  I must say that the side with the horizontal rails is much more interesting.
Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Alas Terry, I think the horizontal rails would be on the outside.

Fences were usually erected with the supporting timbers on the opposite side from where the "pressure" was expected.  In this case, people on the platform were the "pressure".

If you look at the miles of post and rail fencing along the railways, the posts were track side because the "pressure" was expected from the "public" side.

Great looking fencing nevertheless, and a reasonanble price too.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Alas, I feared that would be the case. Nevermind, the fencing will still look good once it has been painted.

Thanks Peter and Ed.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Terry I thought Ratio or Wills did GWR spear fencing?  Not sure if they do slopes or just level bits but I have used it and its very fine and very pretty

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Barry.  The fencing shown above fits the bill nicely. It does come with four sloping pieces for platform ends, the angle of which fits the Scalescenes' platform  walls nicely. I am going to paint the fencing today. A quick spray with Halford's white primer and then a topcoat of an appropriate shade of acrylic to represent Southern Railway Light Stone. Time to raid the wife's craft shed!

Terry

Edit.  Well, I braved the snow showers (yes snow) and legged it down to my shed only to find that I hadn't any Halford's white primer.  I must have used it up.  Memo to self:  either send the wife to get some during the current Corona Virus crisis, or, wait until it is all over and go and get it myself!  Fortunately, I have a new spray can of Humbrol light grey, so that did the job instead.  On raiding the wife's shed, under cover of darkness, and rummaging through her collection of acrylic paints, I came across one which was not far off the Southern Railway Light Stone which I was seeking.  I smuggled out this paint together with a tube of white which was knocking about, just to lighten the other slightly. The painted platform fence is now dry and awaiting fixing in place.

Posted
Rating:
[user=2006]Barry Miltenburg[/user] wrote:
Terry I thought Ratio or Wills did GWR spear fencing?  Not sure if they do slopes or just level bits but I have used it and its very fine and very pretty

Barry
Your'e right, Barry, this is some Ratio spearpoint in a non-railway setting, sorry it's only a little bit of the picture.
[Back to your thread now, Terry, sorry!]

Posted
Rating:
I recognise that building …………………… :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope all's well with you and the Boss Doug.  :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
All fine thanks, as I hope it is with you and yours. Oh! Isn't it good of Terry to provide this handy way of keeping in touch!!! :lol: :lol:
D

Posted
Rating:
One has to do one's bit in these dire times!

Terry
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.