The art of compromise.

Posted
Rating:

Finally gettiing out of my system.

Hello Kevin.  Good suggestions but I will probably stick with small locomotives.  I have a number of BR London Midland locos.  I fancy running some Jinties through a built-up scene.  No ideas as yet but maybe something akin to the Inkerman Street layout built many years ago by the Model Railway Journal team.

Terry

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry. Many years ago? Sounds familiar, didn’t that come from Coronation Street. But large layouts aside, I hadn’t realised until I saw that video that there was main line steam Loco’s running about with electric Loco’s I thought that they were on branch lines by then . Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
   Hi Terry.   Thank you again, I really got my underwear in a twist. Just to clarify my follow on question. I have purchased my 4ft concrete fence posts LX 378-00 from scale model scenery, but, no wire. When I opened the envelope, the first thing I saw was “ railway modellers club “ . Now I require the wires.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
If you're looking at the Woodhead line, modelling the tunnel would be quite easy ….. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hello Peter.  I envisage just a hill covered in grass with a solitary brick ventilation shaft in the middle.  Every so often a puff of smoke emits from the shaft.  I could automate the smoke emissions which would free me up at exhibitions to wander around and look at the other exhibits or frequent the refreshment area and spend all day reading railway books.  Or I could just set it up on the Saturday morning, go off and do something more interesting and come back at five o'clock to turn it off. No need to waste money on expensive locomotives or other rolling stock.  An additional advantage is that I would not have to engage in conversation with the great unwashed, most of whom appear to frequent model railway shows, present company excluded of course!.

I think that I have hit on the perfect model railway.  I should patent the idea before everybody else steals it.

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Sorry, instead of indulging myself with the foregoing waffle I should have given a layout update.  I am still building some Southern wagon kits from Cambrian Rail.  Progress has been a bit slow over the last week or so due to work and the rather hot days that we have been experiencing in the UK.  Still, that is over now and we have returned to our more seasonal summer weather of cold temperatures, rain, hail and thunderstorms.  In fact, perfect modelling weather!  I shall be venturing down to the model railway shed shortly and hope to report some more progress on the wagons soon.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
[user=711]col.stephens[/user] wrote:
Hello Peter.  I envisage just a hill covered in grass with a solitary brick ventilation shaft in the middle.  Every so often a puff of smoke emits from the shaft.  I could automate the smoke emissions which would free me up at exhibitions to wander around and look at the other exhibits or frequent the refreshment area and spend all day reading railway books.  Or I could just set it up on the Saturday morning, go off and do something more interesting and come back at five o'clock to turn it off. No need to waste money on expensive locomotives or other rolling stock.  An additional advantage is that I would not have to engage in conversation with the great unwashed, most of whom appear to frequent model railway shows, present company excluded of course!.

I think that I have hit on the perfect model railway.  I should patent the idea before everybody else steals it.

Terry

That's exactly the layout I'd imagined Terry.  :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Interesting you should mention modelling during the summer months Terry.  Only this morning when SWMBO asked what my plans were for today, my heart sank !

Wives do have a way of making one feel the grindstone is never far away !

I surveyed the grass which, under normal circumstances, would be brown and shrivelled up at this time of year, but is still growing faster than I can cut it.  I immediately realised yet another modelling day was about to be lost to chores.  At least I can sit down on the job …….

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
"To hear is to obey"

Rumpole, from "Rumpole for the Prosecution" which by chance we watched last night.

Last edit: by Colin W

Posted
Rating:
I always hope Rumpole would come back on over here, seeing as Leo McKern was an aussie.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
[user=1120]peterm[/user] wrote:
I always hope Rumpole would come back on over here, seeing as Leo McKern was an aussie.
Explore Youtube, some are available there, others for a fee.
BTW sorry for detour OT :off topic  "Guilty m'lud".

"Oh no, never ever plead guilty!"

They've helped us stay sane thru these times  :cool:

Last edit: by Colin W

Posted
Rating:
Yep, I've slapped me wrist for aiding and abetting you. You're a bad example.  ;-)

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
The second SR wagon has arrived at Farleigh. I managed to get a photo as it stood empty in the goods yard. It must have been in service for some time to get into this state… 

As mentioned once before it is Cambrian Model Rail's C50 - 10 ton five-plank wagon to Southern Railway Diagram 1380.
More soon.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
That looks fabulous Terry - a brilliant bit of weathering.   :pathead

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Peter.  Very kind of you.

I am starting the next kit this evening - twin bolster wagons, of which more soon.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry.  I hope that you are well  l. It is so long since I traveled on the District Line, but there was a selection of styles of water tanks and water cranes, and I don’t even know if they have been taken away, but I never knew why some stations had tanks where others made do with a plain crane, just a pipe with a large hose. Was it something to do with the water supply .  Best wishes Kevin 

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Posted
Rating:
New arrival at Farleigh - Kernow Ex-LSWR 10ton Road Van.  And a very nice model too.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
I've been admiring these road vans Terry, as they're delightfully different and a fine addition to Farleigh.

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry. I had put my name down with Kernow , on their waiting list, but I never got a reply, and I didn’t bother. Best wishes Kevin

Posted
Rating:
[user=1814]Longchap[/user] wrote:
I've been admiring these road vans Terry, as they're delightfully different and a fine addition to Farleigh.

Bill
Hello Bill,
               Not cheap at a tad under £35 but the detail is superb.  For instance, the representation of the metal plate above left of the letter 'S', which was affixed to cover the area where the side lamps had previously been.  This happened in the vans' later lives and is appropriate to the livery shown.  Also, there is a representation of the label clip just above the van number, as well as all the brake gear beneath the vehicle.  

Hello Kevin,
                   Now would be the time to contact Kernow again as they have taken delivery of the vans from China.

Terry
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.