The art of compromise.

Posted
Rating:

Finally gettiing out of my system.

What wonderful stock Terry and the Terrier looks seriously cool idling with its train, waiting for the crew. I didn't realise what a good view there is into the cab.

Good luck with the goods stock. Hopefully you shouldn't need to build too many.

Best,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Generic or not they look nice. That loco looks good too.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Wonderful stuff Terry.  Congratulations on building such a fine little layout

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Bill, Pete and Barry.  It's all gradually coming together.

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
They may be generic, but they look so "right"…That loco just goes with the coaches so well too! Marvelous!!!
Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
What a difference from the bare board you started with Terry.  It looks brilliant, even if it is "Southern"……. :mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Thank you John and Peter.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
So, Terry, having got that "out of your system" and 'knocked it out of the park' as the cousins would say, what's next?  Waterloo, Queenstown Road and Clapham Junction full scale, or another little Cyril Freezer/Roy Link number   :lol: :lol:

Barry

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
The coaches do look good. Were SR of that time mostly 6 wheelers?

Last edit: by Colin W

Posted
Rating:
Some wizard with a time-machine has invented a colour camera! Classy work, when does the museum take delivery?

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry.  You have answered a question for me, when Hattons advertised their new range of “Genesis”coaching stock, that are available in four or six wheel variants I was interested, if only for passing by, with nowhere to go? unless, that is I summoned up the will and strength to build a third baseboard. Best wishes Kevin

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Barry, Colin, Doug and Kevin. 

Colin - It would appear that during the 1930's there was a good mix of bogie coaches and six-wheelers with a sprinkling of four-wheelers, as on the Isle of Wight.  Some pre-grouping companies continued to build six-wheelers for local use long after they had built their first bogie coaches.  The book 'Southern Railway Rolling Stock' by R.W. Kidner (The Oakwood Press) published in 1974, is a very useful reference book in this regard.  My first intention was to run a couple of bogie coaches but I couldn't resist the six-wheelers, resplendent in their Southern Railway livery.  The bogie coaches might still be an option at some stage but might involve scratch-building, unless I can find suitable rtr models to modify.

Barry - The next layout has got to be some kind of heavily built-up, run-down, urban environment with possibly a canal and a splattering of industry.  I fancy making old buildings and alleyways.  An idea is brewing but I haven't got any firm plan as yet.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Mmm  essence of Tetley Mills with a hint of Granby springs to mind  :hmm Having followed your scratchbuilding on here for a while Terry, this I look forward to !  :thumbs
Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Matt.  Don't hold your breath as it is only a vague idea at present. I'll start a new thread when the idea is more developed.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Things have been a bit quiet on the layout of late.  Owing to there being only a few ready to run Southern Railway wagons available, I decided to look at suitable kits to make up the shortfall.  I came across Cambrian Model Rail who have a number of Southern Railway kits in their range.  I bought a number of kits and a wagon building programme is now under way.

The first wagon to roll out of the paint shops is Cambrian Model Rail C33, this being a LBSC/SR open wagon to Southern Railway Diagram D1369.  These wagons were originally built with round ends and tarpaulin bars, but in later life a number had the round ends cut down and the tarpaulin bars removed.  The kit comes with alternative ends to allow either type to be produced and I opted for the wagon in its original form, round ends with the tarpaulin bar.

The kit instructions recommend using either Gibson or Romford wheels but I fitted Kean Maygib wheels and bearings of which I have a number of packs, pre-owned but unopened, bought cheaply a few years ago from our club shop.  

The assembled wagon was sprayed with Halfords' Grey Primer (acrylic) followed by brush painting with Precision Paints SR Wagon Brown (enamel).  

The transfers are from the old PC Models range now available from the Historical Model Railway Society, Sheet 13 - SR wagon insignia (with LSWR, LBSC, & SECR).  I prefer 'Methfix' transfers rather than the 'Pressfix' variety as you are able to slide the transfer around until it is in the correct position.  The wagon numbers and tare weight numerals are all added individually and it can be a bit taxing in 4mm scale to get them all lined up correctly.  Still, I don't think they turned out too badly. Once applied the transfers were given a spray of Testors Dull Cote matt varnish to fix everything in place.  The lower part of the wagon was given a light spray of Humbrol brown paint.  When dry, the whole wagon was given a wash of thinners containing a small amount of matt black enamel paint.  Looking at the photos, I might be inclined to give the larger letters a further wash of dirty thinners.

And here it is…

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I like that Terry, something a little different ! Looks like a nice little kit. Whats up next ? Or is that still under wraps  
:hmm

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
No it's under tarps.  :)

Nice wagon. I wouldn't be able to put the transfers on now that my hands have started shaking.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry.  Excellent, I began some kits, and I believe that there was a Cambrian among them. But, I don’t get very far with kits and often leave them half done. Your wagon could have inspired me to finish them. Usually settling for RTR wagons besides I haven’t finished the baseboard yet.   Best wishes Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Matt, Peter and Kevin.

The next wagon will be Cambrian Model Rail's C50 - 10 ton five plank open wagon to Southern Railway Diagram 1380.  Built in 1930-31 these wagons were rebuilds using wheels, springs and axleboxes from withdrawn LSWR 10 ton wagons.  Just goes to show that recycling is nothing new.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry. New layout? Entirely different? Why not go “up north “. You don’t have to go the whole way to Newcastle, what about Manchester? I was watching a YouTube video today about the Woodhead line . That had Steam, two types of Electric Loco,  all sorts, but that would be too much for a quick plank. Best wishes Kevin 

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.