Shunting Puzzle Plank

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron.   Thank you . I googled Kadee and have been reading various opinions. And of course you ideas are the best.It seems that I really made a blunder with code 75, nice track but had I known the extra work in fitting Kadee magnets , that is assuming I had given " shunting puzzles a lot of attention ". I would/should have gone with code 100 of something completely different ( i.e. code 83 ) but I haven't got a crystal ball. My next task is to find a suitable location for one of my magnets, if that is, it don't involve too much faffing about. All the best.  Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed.  Thank you. That seems an excellent choice, and I will bear it in mind if I build another plank?As I have two at the time of writing. It may have to either wait or one of the planks could get recycled?? And then I could purchase code 100 and using the Kadee would become straight forward ?  All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Ron.   Thank you . I googled Kadee and have been reading various opinions. And of course you ideas are the best.It seems that I really made a blunder with code 75, nice track but had I known the extra work in fitting Kadee magnets , that is assuming I had given " shunting puzzles a lot of attention ". I would/should have gone with code 100 of something completely different ( i.e. code 83 ) but I haven't got a crystal ball. My next task is to find a suitable location for one of my magnets, if that is, it don't involve too much faffing about. All the best.  Kevin

Kevin, I have fitted the standard Kadee magnets into Code 75 track - a little bit of work & time  but I class it as part of the hobby. But as I have found, I prefer the 3mm Cube rare earth magnets in place of sleepers.
That thread if you have forgotten is http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=8481&forum_id=6

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron. Thank you again.  My first trial with Neodymium magnets was with Tension Lock couplers, and  staples glued to the dropper worked well with a pair of disc magnets at 3/4" centres lengthways under the track. But then I "read" about the obvious advantage that you get with Kadee , the ability of being able to uncouple and loose shunt forwardto spot the wagon.   All the best Kevin

Posted
Rating:
I believe you can also do that with the tension lock and staple system Kevin, as described either on Gary's or Gormo's thread.

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.  Thank you for your reply. But there was another good reason fo me to abandon that idea, as I reported at the time, the droppers are aptly named. Because the "Whole Kit and Caboodle " dropped off. The tension lock.And when I realised about the Kadee ability to uncouple and loose shunt, that was good enough for me.
All the best. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed.  I have priced up? A Pug DCC conversion , and I'm not really sure it would be viable to convert all of them, unless "I'm feeling lucky" one day and have beginners luck on the lottery. I may just try one of the ex Dapol Pugs with the upright motor that occupies most of the cab. Or just run them DC? As the Hornby version seem to have the same type of motor, at least I should be okay for spares? Any comments? Please excuse me if I have said this before. All the best.  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Bill.  Thank you for your reply. But there was another good reason fo me to abandon that idea, as I reported at the time, the droppers are aptly named. Because the "Whole Kit and Caboodle " dropped off. The tension lock.And when I realised about the Kadee ability to uncouple and loose shunt, that was good enough for me.
All the best. Kevin
The point I was referring to Kevin, is the simple ability to loose shunt with the TL & staple system, if one desires this ability, without the need to modify all stock to the Kadee system, which often requires differing solutions for varied stock, but can be most rewarding.
Unfortunately, you seem to have been particularly unlucky, as I've never heard of such repeated TL coupling failures as you seem to have been visited by before.

Good luck and Bon courage!

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed.  I hope you aren’t frozen to death on your project . I was eager to know how you got on with the scenery??Every time I look on line for “ scratch built “ all I get is a load of nuisance adverts trying to sell me kits, of course there isn’t anything wrong with kits or skalescenes or whatever, but, I wanted to make my own. Please advise.  Best wishes Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Can't help you Kevin, haven't done any scratch building.

Nothing done on the plank as I've no room for it indoors at present. I might not take it any further anyway and reuse the board for something else.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:
……………………………………. I might not take it any further anyway and reuse the board for something else.

Ed

What !!!  :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:  After all that effort and result ?  What's the problem with it Ed ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac    Sorry for butting in. But I have come a cropper? with the Uncoupling positioning of magnets on my Second “Non standard “ Inglenook Puzzle . Because more sidings looke an interesting proposition  I didn’t allow enough track to accommodate thr magnet. So it is back to the drawing board? Or in my case back to my original  â€œ Standard Inglenook .   Best wishes. Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:
……………………………………. I might not take it any further anyway and reuse the board for something else.

Ed

What !!!  :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:  After all that effort and result ?  What's the problem with it Ed ?
Nothing specifically Peter, but as I said back in post #64 "Think this has turned into more of a practice scenery plank rather than a puzzle".

I have plans for a new project/challenge, but I can't do anything yet as the spot where the plank would normally be indoors, has a table full of boxes of dressings for the leg infection I still have. Still got the district nurse coming in once a week to change the dressing and I need somewhere to store it all.

At the moment I just have to be content with making a few kits sat at the dining table.

When BT finally get around to fixing my broadband connection I'll start a thread on my thoughts/ideas, but reading threads and posting is extremely slow at present.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed,

I know the feeling, no point in going on if it turns out not what was envisioned. Had that with the EM plank I was building at a glacier rate. Lost interest in the end.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.