Kevin's Inglenook Junction

Posted
Rating:

Two Planks Become One

Hi Matt.   Thank you for your reply. I have heard bad reports on track rubbers, but hardboard is a new one to me.It seems that I have wasted my time with the track cleaner, but, I do have another wagon. Best wishes Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
You certainly don't need to use a tanker track cleaner for a plank layout Kevin. By the time you fill the tank, clean the track and empty the tank, you will have the job done manually with IPA and a soft cloth. 

If your track is particularly heavy with dirt, run a small piece of wood along the rails before the IPA. Don't use abrasives such as a track rubber, as these leave tiny scratches on the top of the rails which fill with muck and hinder conductivity.

Do not forget to also clean the wheels of locos and stock, as dirty wheels on locos will not pick up power even from clean teack, while dirty wheels on coaches and wagons will simply make the track dirty again!

A know it can be a pain, but it has to be done regularly if you want good running.

Best,

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bill.  Thank you for your reply. I just fancied, although it is over the top, buying one. My plank has not been used for too long due to this and that? Too much time in hospital and now that I am out too many visits from all sorts of health workers etc.   Best wishes Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Whilst I do have  a CMX track cleaner Kevin, for the odd spot where I hit trouble, I use a small wood block - just slightly bigger than the track gauge - onto which I glue a square of cork.  I douse the cork with IPA and give it a quick rub - works a treat because the slight "give" in the cork ensures a tiny bit of the top inner face of the rail is also cleaned.  When the cork wears out, just replace it with another piece…..

Same idea as Matt's hardboard method but I didn't have any hardboard and my wood block is thicker so it keeps my fingers well away from the ballast ….. 

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac.  I didn’t think that the CMX was necessary, but, that is why I purchased a knock off version, just for a laugh. I will weigh up all the pros and cons, but sending for whatever, unless you fill up your basket, the post and packaging can cost as much as the items. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
As I said Kevin I can easily post you a few squares of hardboard, I have a plentiful supply and postage realy wont break the bank  :thumbs
Just PM me your Address ? last time I posted something to you it was when you were in hospital  :roll:

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Petermac.  I didn’t think that the CMX was necessary, but, that is why I purchased a knock off version, just for a laugh. I will weigh up all the pros and cons, but sending for whatever, unless you fill up your basket, the post and packaging can cost as much as the items. Best wishes Kevin 

I wasn't in any way suggesting you buy a CMX Kevin - I was just making the point that for smaller cleaning jobs, Matt's system is ideal and, as he's kindly offered to send you a square or two, it's an absolute no-brainer……….

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac.  Thank you for your reply. I wasn’t suggesting that you were. But, now that I have one, I could really do with a funnel that would fit in the filler hole, rather than make a bigger mess of the railway room than it already is.Best wishes Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Are you saying you've bought a CMX cleaner Kevin ?  I'm amazed !!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=1814]Longchap[/user] wrote:
You certainly don't need to use a tanker track cleaner for a plank layout Kevin. By the time you fill the tank, clean the track and empty the tank, you will have the job done manually with IPA and a soft cloth. 

If your track is particularly heavy with dirt, run a small piece of wood along the rails before the IPA. Don't use abrasives such as a track rubber, as these leave tiny scratches on the top of the rails which fill with muck and hinder conductivity.

Do not forget to also clean the wheels of locos and stock, as dirty wheels on locos will not pick up power even from clean teack, while dirty wheels on coaches and wagons will simply make the track dirty again!

A know it can be a pain, but it has to be done regularly if you want good running.

Best,

Bill
Don't forget to clean the wheels Kevin, otherwise you are wasting your time cleaning the rails!

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac.  Thank you for your reply. No. I  purchased a “Knock Off Version “, and that was a bit of a gamble for my plank. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt.   I found a spare piece of hardboard, ex cutting board, I do have an actual board designed for the job. Which means cutting up the hardboard. I have been looking for a small funnel online, but one cannot judge the size very well.  Best wishes Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt and interested parties. After enlarging and emailing the “ background scene “ that pleased me most “ to gaugemaster,, it turns out, that they were out of stock, and other’ outlets were in the same boat, I managed to purchase the item in question Now for the hard part, holding up the background in position, as the lid of the box is made of plywood, I have been caught out with that material before. Every time the board expands or contracts the paper gets another crease. Which means that a medium is required, no not for a seance? Can anyone please advise me on a happy medium that will fit the bill.  Best wishes Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Stick it to a separate board Kevin, something that DOESN'T expand and contract, then just attach it using magnets when you use your plank. This also means you can change the 'feel of your plank by having a couple of different backscenes on separate boards. Although I'd be surprised if there is THAT much movement on a small piece of board  As it's in a fairly, warm, dry, stable environment ??
Belt and braces though, mount it on a piece of mount board or something like that ?

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt.   Thank you for your reply. I was thinking about cardboard but for the dog ears , then hardboard?Best wishes Kevin

Posted
Rating:
MDF is totally stable anbd comes in 5mm thickness ………….

Excellent idea about the magnets Matt - I'd have thought about that but didn't have time …………….  :thumbs :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
What a good idea about magnets! Haha. Given me an idea!

Posted
Rating:
Hi Petermac.  Thank you for your inspiration, with the last couple of years that I have had I need all the help that I can get. On the other hand you seem to be getting on okay.  Best wishes Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Chris.  Thank you for your reply. Only one year old? Your railway seems to be doing very well, with all your ideas 💡.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
Hi Matt.   I don’t know if you have a knowledge of iPad, but , it is most annoying, every so often I loose every tab. I fish around and cannot find anything and then I start again, and before I know it, I get the tabs pop up, Can you help?  Best wishes Kevin 

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.