Chacewater to Newquay Branch

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

Robert said

The black and white photographs are excellent. Really bringing back memories.
yes they do,how railways used to be,what a pity they they are just
memories.
 :cry:  :lol:  :lol:  8)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Excellent - I must go and read that Middleton Press book again.  I just love them!

A rare photo of a Multiple Unit as well, they were not used very often on that route.  They came a bit too late, as with the Helston Branch, and it was more usual for the local trains to be formed of the B Set with a Class 22 Diesel.

Just been watching Seaside Rescue on BBC1 - just think how busy Perranporth station would be if the route had survived.

Looking forward to the next installment John.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I love that wet platform too. Great atmosphere.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I can actually see where beach halt was from my front window its about a 5 minute walk from my house.

the Bamboo club was first built on the site of the station then that was knocked down a few years ago and there are 3 detached houses there now. only the bridge sides remain of anyting railway there now.

cheers Brian.W
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Well,everybody….Its been over 7 months since we've been stuck in Perranporth,plenty of time for anyone to get out,stretch their legs,and visit Henry Parrots' layout!!!
   Apologies for the delay….wrong sort of snow/leaves on the line/track lifted in 1963….(take your pick!)

:mutley
   Anyhow.Ready to continue on?Got your tickets ready????

Right.All Aboard!!! Driver Right Away! Next stop is Goonhavern Halt.We leave Perranporth station and pass through the lovely Bolingey valley and through the little hamlet of Bollingey with its lovely thatched cottages and 17th Century pub The Bollingey Arms,we are heading South now,away from the sea inland,we curve off to the East and now we are in a cutting as we approach Goonhavern.Another typical GWR halt with a corrugated pagoda shelter.
  This first view,looking back towards Chacewater is from the 1920s;

This second shot,looking towards Newquay is from the 60s,and is specially for Mr.Trerise.(only sorry its not a blue diesel!)

Next stop;Shepherds.

Cheers,John.B.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Absolutely fantastic John

I don't know how I have missed this thread, but I will wait a while and then print it out to keep, it's better than a lot of books that I have seen on lines and stations, please don't stop until you have covered every mile of the south west :cheers

I look forward to the next installment
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Well you won't have to wait long,Alan….
    A few miles on up the line is Shepherds.A passing place with facilities similar to Perranporth.However,there was no goods shed as such,although some freight did pass through there.
    It was also the place where Treffreys line from Treamble joined  the branch.This disused line was revived and then finally closed and lifted in the 40s.it had a speed limit of only 10 mph. when in operation.

Here are some images of Shepherds from the 1920s onwards.

Note the wooden platforms(as at Perranporth)

This final shot of the station shows its remoteness.It has been described as having a 'goods depot',although there is clearly no goods shed as such,but as can be seen from previous pics of the station,large wicker baskets and hampers are in evidence.
The treamble branch is still extant in this shot,veering off to the right.It was lifted in the 1940s.The station was demolished in 1963.
  No doubt the locals miss the railway.The station site is now part of an extended farmyard.

More to come soon!
Cheers for now,John.B.

Last edit: by georgejacksongenius

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
John

Great stuff i will try and ask Trevor more questions about shephards as it is strange because it is a large station but in the middle of nowhere i will try and find out more about the goods that were there.

Not much is left of goonhavern halt just the bridge abutments you see in the photo i think.

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Superb John, just superb. I just love this old stuff   …   almost as good as the real models :exclam;-)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I love this part of railways the history and those picks with the folks in what beautys, they look so different back then and when you think of it that was not really that long ago really.

Thanks, cant wait for more.

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Lovely old pics there.  Although I know the area well I never managed to ride the trains on that route.  They were gone before I was allowed out "on my own" as it were to explore.

But I do have an interest in what remains of the old lines and where possible in travelling them by other means.  Walking or cycling is possible in some cases but not for the Perranporth which is fenced off and blocked / vanished in numerous places.

I'll be exploring the area again in May this year.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Very evocative and definitely a prototype that could be modelled.
Nice one John.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
The next stop will be Mitchell & Newlyn Halt…….

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Last edit: by georgejacksongenius

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
John, it has been worth the wait just to see that picture of the Class 22 at Goonhavern!

I have signalling diagrams for this route somewhere that I can add if you like?

Also, I found this site: -

Disused Railways

Amongst many other routes it does the Newquay to Chacewater route as it is today.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
We have that link in the Forum Index Chris, plus another one on disused railways.

Posted
Rating:
Chris,
       Absolutely,mate…..just stick it in.All contributions gratefully recieved!!!
And yes,I've seen the disused line photos.
       Before going onto the next station,I'll be adding some old piccies not yet shown of stations that we've already been through by way of a review,also one or two other bits.
I'll post them this weekend when I've got more time.
      Anyone with any photos or info relating to the line,please feel free to post them…its a forum,and the more that take part,the better.

Cheers,John.B.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
John

Nothing to add to help you, except that I am enjoying this thread so much, I can't wait till you finish it (a long way off i hope) so that I can print it out and refer back whenever I want, think I will even ring-bind it into a book. :cheers
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Well,as promised,by way of a review,here are some more photos of the area already covered that have turned up since I started my research on the line.We'll start back at Chacewater again;a couple of pictures before and after the addition of the branch loop;

As we leave the main line at Blackwater triangle and head north up the branch at the time of the building of the line,here are some pictures of the bridges being built;

Mount Hawke Halt again;

Goonbarrow Viaduct & cattle creep;

Just before Perranporth Beach Halt 1917;

And the same place under construction circa 1903;

Some new shots of Perranporth Station;

One of my best and rarest finds…early motive power;

A colour piccy of the bridge at Bollingey…

And finally,before we move off up the line next week,arare shot of the Treamble branch that joins our branch at Shepherds with a typical tiny train bombing along at the regulation 5mph in 1935;

Cheers for now,John.B.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Sorry Bob, I really should have known that would already be in the index :oops:

Here is the signalling diagram of Chacewater: -

St Agnes: -

Perranporth: -

Shepherds: -

All of these signal boxes were open until the entire route closed, in common with the Helston Branch.  If only they had introduced the "Basic Railway" concept earlier this route in particular may have survived…
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Chris,
      Thanks for the signalling diagrams mate!
The Perranporth one is going to be particularly useful to me!!!
….I now know the dimensions of the signal box that I'm building,too!
:mutley
Cheers,John.B.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.