Chacewater to Newquay Branch

Posted
Rating:
It's a mystery.
Something fetching £20 on eBay can sell for £100+ at a live auction and vice versa.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
John,

Have just re-read the whole of this thread. As I said to you at Carn Brea, I've always wanted to make a model of Shepherds Station - well I've decided to do it over the next two years, although in 00 not N. I've got the Middleton Press books of the area, showing most of the same photos you have in the thread, and of course the track plan, though I probably need more specific photos of the buildings, especially the station buildings.
I'm also going to imagine that the line never actually closed, so is still active today. Hopefully I can then use any stock from the early days right through to the modern units used in the area at the moment.

Cheers

Stu

Last edit: by Stubby47

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
[user=201]georgejacksongenius[/user] wrote:
Well,everybody….Its been over 7 months since we've been stuck in Perranporth,plenty of time for anyone to get out,stretch their legs,and visit Henry Parrots' layout

With reference to 2 pics on this thread

The white railings on the right of this pic of Perranporth Station is where the steps went down to Station Road.
You can just see the steps through the railings.

If I remember correctly, these steps were fully enclosed going down from the centre platform to another level where the road was, and the sides, and I believe the ceiling were white tiles.

Going back to page 3 on this thread, I don't know if anyone has pointed this out, but there were three bridges in a dead straight line at Goonhavern in a very short distance looking back towards Chacewater. This pic shows the first bridge. You can just see part of the second bridge through the arch.

I have seen a picture of these three bridges looking back down the line.

This information and picture was given out by Clive Benney at one of his slide show talks, as I mentioned previously.

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
[user=838]Manxie[/user] wrote:
With reference to 2 pics on this thread
Deleted the 2 blank pages because of possible copyright reasons, but I have reposted using the "quote" system which I believe is legal and above board.

Last edit: by Manxie

Posted
Rating:
:hmm:hmm:hmm

Go on then - I give up - what is it ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
:hmm:hmm:hmm

Go on then - I give up - what is it ?

See the above statement.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Some photos are from within this thread, Page 3 for example.First photo from post 58 & the second from post 45.
The copyright info was all discussed on the post in Page 1.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Manxie,
         apparently the whole subway area was infilled with the debris from the demolotion of the station,and the entrance is now bricked up with breeze blocks.I'll be dealing with this area on the model in coming weeks!
         According to Trevor Miners there was a ramp built from sleepers where heavy items of luggage like trunks were slid down to the car park by the subway entrance.Do you remember seeing this???

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Hi John,
       No, I don't remember the ramp, bearing in mind I was only a young boy from the mid 50's to the very early 60's when there were steam trains. Just remember vividly the white tiles on the subway entrance leading up to the station.
I was out Goonbell and Mithian today and took some pics which I will post, with one very interesting pic.

Posted
Rating:
I believe some of these pics have been posted before, but here goes anyway.

Whats left of Goonbell Halt. The iron gate and railings at the top of the path that led down to the halt

Another view of the railings with some of the bridge wall. On the other side of the road the bridge wall has been removed and houses now stand on the filled in line.

Looking over the bridge wall towards Mithian and the Wheal Liberty Viaduct. You can just make out the cutting between the trees and bushes.

Looking at the Wheal liberty Viaduct from the northern side.

Just a few yards on from the Wheal Liberty Viaduct is Wheal Liberty Bridge. Pic taken by Henry Parrot.

Looking back towards the Wheal Liberty Viaduct from Wheal Butson Bridge.

Looking the other way from the Wheal Butso Bridge towards Mithian. The line has been completly filled in and is now a field.

Here is a pic of the road that goes over the Wheal Butson Bridge. The road coming up from the left goes down to Wheal Butson where my mother lived as a young girl, and the Wheal Liberty Viaduct

Mithian next.

Posted
Rating:
Nice pics Manxie.keep 'em coming!!!
:pathead

Posted
Rating:
This is Mithian Bridge about quarter of a mile on from the Wheal Butson bridge in the Newquay direction, unless there is another one on private land, but I don't think so.

It is just on the outskirts to Mithian village coming in from Mithian Downs.

Looking over the bridge in the Mithian Halt direction

Looking back towards Wheal Butson bridge.

Posted
Rating:
I am not aware of the bridges on the line having names apart from the Wheal Liberty Viaduct, that's why I have named them after the area in which they were built, hence Wheal Butson bridge, Mithian Bridge, Goshan Bridge, Mithian Halt Bridge, and so on to Goonhavern, where the line stops for me.
There is a small bridge between Wheal Liberty Viaduct and Wheal Butson Bridge, which I call Wheal Liberty Bridge, which I have just inserted above to keep them in order.

There is I believe from memory, another small tunnel bridge between Mithian and Goshan bridges. I can remember it from a young boy visiting my aunt who had a small holding at Goshan beside the railway line, because we used to walk back along the railway line to where the tunnel bridge was, drop down the enbankment, through the tunnel under the railway line, to pick wild apples.

Next stop. Goshan Bridge.

Posted
Rating:
Here we are at Goshan Bridge, which is situated on the top side of Goshan a small hamlet on the outskirts of Mithian.
The white building you can just see at the bottom of the hill is Goshan Farm, which was once farmed by Ken Miners (deceased), relation to Trevor Minors of Perranporth.

This pic shows the view looking back to Mithian Bridge.
As you can see the line is now a field, and in the background you can see a house. This was a farm cottage which belonged to my aunt, and had some wonderful times there playing in the fields. It has since been completely rebuilt, and nothing like I remember it.

Goshan Bridge looking towards Mithian Halt.

You can just see the cutting in this pic.

If I am boring you, please tell me to stop.

Posted
Rating:
Not boring at all, makes me want to get out there and trace the route myself.

Last edit: by Stubby47

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Stubby.

This branch line has sentimental reasons for me. It just takes me back to my childhood, and the stories my mother told me.

MITHIAN HALT
This pic is most probably the saddest one for me, because as far as can see there is nothing left to mark the spot of the halt, or where the bridge was. The line has been completely filled in to make a field.

I believe from memory that the row of trees going away on the left was the top of the railway line embankment, and where the wooden fence is, is where the metal gate was at the top of the path that went down to the halt.

Posted
Rating:
This is that all remains of the next bridge on from Mithian Halt.It is very close to Mithian Halt being the next road over.

Looking back towards Mithian Halt.

Note the metal base plate of the bridge on my side side of the road that indicates that the bridge and line were offset to the road. Something for John B to make note of when making his model.

This pic shows the other side towards Perranporth, and the metal base plate.
As you can see, the gate and lane is now where the track was.

Posted
Rating:
I can't believe you'd think this was boring mate.As far as I'm concerned,and I'm sure everyone else would agree,this is pure gold.Not only some unique pictures of the line as it is now,but some lovely anecdotes that take us all back there with you when you were a lad.
  Lovely stuff Manxie,don't you dare stop!!;-)
Hopefully,as work progresses on my layout and I bang up more pics of that,that may spark off more memories for you as well.And Stu is doing Shepherds too!!
  You never know,we might even inspire someone to model Chacewater or St.Agnes….
….might even end up recreating the entire line in miniature between us all!!!
:cool wink

Posted
Rating:
[user=201]georgejacksongenius[/user] wrote:

You never know,we might even inspire someone to model Chacewater or St.Agnes….
….might even end up recreating the entire line in miniature between us all!!!
:cool wink

Now that would be something to create the whole line between you all, and show it at one of the village halls on route.

They have a lot of exhibitions at St.Agnes Mens Institute.

How much of the line are you recreating John?
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.