N Gauge - Marty�s Project � Pentrecourt Halt

Posted
Rating:
[user=201]georgejacksongenius[/user] wrote:
Oh My God!!!
        ……..You must be devastated,mate!
If you're looking for a new cab for her,I think NBrass do a Castle cab that would fit.(I think Kings,Castles,Halls AND Manors all had a standard cab.
   Jeff would probably know for sure.
You just get that net in place,Marty….we don't want any more "mishaps"….(The GWR had mishaps….it didn't have accidents!):lol:

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Thanks John,

Getting a kit cab is a good idea, even if it's to scale, which the Manor wasn't, it will make an interesting retrofit.

Mike,

I've had a couple come off the layout and escape with minor damage, it should have been a warning to me.
Now $AU250 of engine is sitting in the Henllan yard looking like it's being scrapped. :oops:

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Marty,
       I emailed the guy from Nbrass who tells me the cab I saw was a sample.He hopes to have them ready for sale sometime next month.(if you're interested!)

Cheers,John.B.

Posted
Rating:
Just had another look through…….P' Hall came up as the bottom corner piccy to prompt me, I still think it's 'luffly'!

Does anyone else have a layout/scene/diaorama they go back to on a regular basis? [I know we all frequently go to a cold place in the U.S.A.!]

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Doug,

I keep on going back to it and saying to myself "Did I do that?!!"… from the current status of the layout "I don't think so!!".
But it does give me hope…

Weathers warmed up now, should be able to pour the rivers over christmas and call the diorama finished…. unless I try for telegraph lines? Still thinking about that one.

There are plenty of layouts and diorama on here that I keep going back to for inspiration, each is unique and has something special 'bout it that inspires and tells me to "get on with it".

That freezing cold rail yard in New England is one of the them.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
I helped with some OO telephone lines ages ago when we used 'tippet', the fine nylon used between a fishing fly and the fly line. I remember it was very fine, limp and a middle green/brown colour and made by a firm called 'Orvis'. We touched off-white matt enamel on the little insulators, twiddled once round with the tippet' and on to the next one, here is the clever bit, we hung an opened out paper-clip with a blob of blue-tack on the wires as we did them two at a time to keep the tension.

They lasted all of a month, until someone wearing a blazer with the little cuff buttons reached across and took out about a scale mile of line and posts!

Later, I was lucky enough to own an beautiful Orvis fishing rod when SWMBO  worked for them.

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I've just had another good look at this thread and have come to the conclusion that this layout has got to be in my top ten of best layouts I have seen on the web.
It's a shame it's not seen by a lot more people or is it?
Marty you really do have the "Finescale attitude" which makes your work stand out from the rest.
I'll follow it a bit more closely in future.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Frank and Doug,

Thank you for your comments and suggestions, somewhere in the hurley burly of our Christmas madness I missed them and only found them today doing this update.

Doug, the telegraph lines will have to be at least attempted sometime or other.

Frank, this forum is the only place that the diorama is featured. Maybe on day I'll do up an article for the N gauge magazine but that will be another story…

Such kind thoughts do encourage me immensely.

So… after much ado… an update….

A newcomer and, finally, the rivers run!

Haven't been as active on the forum as much as I would like of late.

Amongst other things works been manic, SES training is in full swing and the Sydney trade show and the shocking head cold, sourced, I'm sure, from the persistent cough-er in the seat behind me on the 4 hour plane trip home, have kept me away for the last week.

However, a lazy Sunday afternoon, feeling a little more human, allowed the" I really must finish that diorama" to become "bite the bullet, now is the time" and here is a first photo of the Afon Teifi underneath the rail over bridge just west of Pentrecourt Halt. The two pack epoxy resin is still a little wet. Lighting is overhead fluoro only.

The Australian dollar is a strong as it has ever been against the pound sterling at the moment and taking advantage of this fact I've added some new items to the Newcastle Emlyn layout.

In particular this is the first real diesel locomotive, Warship Class D815 Druid in BR Maroon, in my motive power fleet.
Seen here, running light engine under the Altycefan road bridge past Pentrecourt Halt in the afternoon sun of a bright summers day.

A panoramic view, with tantalizing glimpses of the river.

Rumbling gently across the bridge, heading for Henllan…

… and a closer view showing the superb detail of this Bachmann/Farish model, whose slow speed control is delightful and whose direction specific head and tail lights were a lovely surprise.

The sticky tape dam is still in place in the shot above, it peeled off beautifully after about 90mins of curing when the resin was still a little sticky.

cheers

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Now that I like :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Marty,they are great pic`s, nice to see the Halt again,
let us hope things settle down for a bit work wise.

:doublethumb:lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
The work on that bridge is great.
I'm going to steal / be inspired to do something similar.

I think most observers would be pushed to tell that it was 'N'.

Congratulations.
Where did you buy the large pot of 'atmosphere', Marty?

Last edit: by ddolfelin

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Thanks lads, plenty of inspiration on this 'ere forum, I like to respond in kind to the best of my ability,  I can't come up with the quirky names though.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Well done, Marty.
The loco looks right at home [not that I'd know if it wasn't  :mutley]
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Marty,
       I think this forum is about due for another N gauge header photo!;-)
:wow

P.S.(And while not being a particular fan of diesels,………..she IS a little beauty!!)

Posted
Rating:
S'good, innit!

[and when it comes to a little bit of water for mine, Marty has done all the ground work for me  :thumbs:thumbs]

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Stunning work Marty, I am hard pushed to think of anything better in N gauge (or any scale tbh!)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
It can't be N scale !
 It must be built in 0 & he reduces the photos to give the impression of a smaller scale with all the detail one can build in 0.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
"Marty,
       I think this forum is about due for another N gauge header photo!;-) "

yeah but which one?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Mike C,
         My money is on the 4th one down!!:lol::lol::lol:

Posted
Rating:
This small layout is amazing, how the heck do you manage in N scale beats me.Lovely pics mate and a lovely building job as well, like the river as well, oh sod it i love the lot :thumbs

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Absolutely beautiful photos Marty. Looking at them, and realizing that they are N gauge, I feel motivated that I can do just as well being that my HO gauge scenery is TWICE the size of yours. Then again, maybe your fingers are half the size of mine!  :shock:

Great Job Marty!

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.