N Gauge - Marty�s Project � Pentrecourt Halt

Posted
Rating:
Told you you could do it!!! Never doubted it.As for the rest of you lot………….VOTE MARTY!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  You know you want to,don't fight it….even you,Phill.(Just pretend its NOT GWR!!??)

Cheers,John.B.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
everything has been said, well done:thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=22]Wayne Williams[/user] wrote:
Sometimes the naked eye and photos see things differently, does it look that good in real life?

Wayne

Yes and No…

Seems to me there are advantages and disadvantages of both a photo and viewing by the naked eye.

With a photo I can frame the picture and cut out the workbench clutter, loft bed frame, etc, etc, and modify the lighting to get a particular mood or time of day.

I can also get an awful photo at just the wrong angle that shows the plasticy dust covered modelness of it all.

In real life I can peer over the platform into the depths of the wood and think "I need a squirrel or badger in there" (and I do peer at it quite a lot 'cause I'm really pleased with the outcome) where I think the shadows and depth would make it difficult to get a good photo.

Because it's N scale viewing the diorama from 2ft away is vastly different from viewing it from 6 inches.

but, overall, Yes, I'm pretty happy with it so far.

A couple of tweaks and the rivers to go.

Many thanks all for your support.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
DD's Hut,

As previously discussed, the downloaded hut has been finished and a section of the embankment leveled to allow it's placement at the base of the telegraph pole.

I'm not entirely sure but I think it is a gangers telephone hut allowing the ganger to tell the signalmen where he is working and therefore allowing the signalman to alert the engine drivers.

Difficult to get photos because it is right on the edge of the diorama.

One from the Pencader end…

and one looking through the bridge from the other end…

cheers

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
That effect with that just-out-of-focus distant landscape is lovely.
 My eyes have had to become very adept at ignoring clutter. I can very easily lose myself in the scenery and yours is very inviting. I like your not too white insulators too.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Looks great Marty, nice paint job.

Phill

Posted
Rating:
When I get home from the office I sit down in front of the diorama with a cup of tea and… just get lost in it, wishing I was there fishing under the bridge.

Sigh… I wonder if there is a cure….

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
You can solve the problem at the ganger's hut by a small extension … :twisted:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
You're not helping with my cure :twisted: :lol::lol::lol:

Last edit: by Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Marty, I hate to tell you this, but that IS the cure! :Happy:doublethumb

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Hey lads,I thought being 'devils'advocate' was my job on this project,constantly mithering poor Marty for a video….But now you're asking him to extend it????:twisted::twisted::twisted::lol::lol::lol::lol:
   ………….Poor old Marty!!
P.S.When can we expect the video then,Marty???:mrgreen:

:mutley
(And a shot or two of that new loco???);-)

Cheers,John.B.

Posted
Rating:
Marty I really like the results of your efforts with your back scene. It solves a problem for me as I was trying to work out how to put trees into a narrow background - very effective. I like the view through the arch as well.

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Glad the wood backscene has helped with inspiration.

If was to do it again after the printed backscene is in place I'd try building up the low relief trees first.

Twigs from the garden split in half and glued to the backscene to provide a trunk, Noch foliage glued over the trunk and too the backscene.
Once dry the foliage teased out with a pair of tweezers to give a bit of body.
The foliage then given a gentle spray of isopropyl alcohol to help break the surface tension of the glue applied shortly after, using a 50/50 PVA water mix.
Woodland Scenics fine grass scatter then lightly sprinkled from above, hopefully indicating new growth and providing some contrast.
You could almost do away with the printed trees cutout except I didn't want to see any sky behind the trees lower down, looking for the impression of a deepish wood.
So… a layer of Woodland Scenics fine grass scatter, a mix of colours to suit the style of wood, glued to the backscene between the low relief trees with the same isopropyl and pva mix technique.
Be careful not to blanket the entire backscene, leaving gaps here and there showing the printed wood to try and enhance the feeling of depth. It would be easy to over do.
In other places chunkier bits of Noch Foliage (found in the bottom of the Noch foliage mat bag) can be added to try and represent tree tops that are a little bit "proud" of the backscene.
Once all dry a toothbrush could be used to clean away the fine scatter that has spread too far skywards.
Noch Foliage shrubs, "hairy" cleaning cloth grass and a small scourer/scatter hedge added to the top of the bank and…
finally the model trees.

Hope that helps.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Marty, thats a great explanation on how to do it. Thanks!

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
For somebody who prefers the urban scene that view through the arch is very enticing.

'

Posted
Rating:
Well, I have finally started going through your thread, Martin. I haven't yet got through the lot, so forgive me for being a little behind.

From what i've seen, the layout looks passable, passable.   :thumbs

Actually, I don't have enough superlatives for it, just thought I'd say something a little different!   :twisted:      :hi

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
And you know me….not one to nag,:mutley,but…………
   Its been some time now since you promised us all a piccy of that nice new loco….:twisted::twisted::twisted:

Cheers,John.B.

Posted
Rating:
Sorry John, I missed this one somehow…

I dare not show you a photo, the poor girl came off the Newcastle Emlyn layout :shock: and the entire cab disappeared under the gap where the skirting isn't flush with the floor… never to be seen again. :cry::cry::cry:

The whole disaster was heart breaking and I've resolved not to run another loco until there is a safety net of some kind in place.

It gives me a reason to try scratchbuilding a new cab but… lots of other things to deal with first.

I haven't forgotten your video, I'm keen to do it but there is a diorama completion project underway in the background at the moment of which I shall reveal more annon.

cheers

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Oh My God!!!
        ……..You must be devastated,mate!
If you're looking for a new cab for her,I think NBrass do a Castle cab that would fit.(I think Kings,Castles,Halls AND Manors all had a standard cab.
   Jeff would probably know for sure.
You just get that net in place,Marty….we don't want any more "mishaps"….(The GWR had mishaps….it didn't have accidents!):lol:

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
That's a great shame, Marty :cry:

A diesel came off mine not so long ago and crashed to the floor via my chair. Of course I was at the opposite side at the time. I was thankful to be the only one who witnessed it.
 Chair and loco escaped with minor damage.

Mike
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.