N Gauge - Marty�s Project � Pentrecourt Halt

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=8]MikeC[/user] wrote:
Heading in the right direction. Very, very nice!

Mike
i agree,don`t be too over critical Marty, it looks ok to me.

:pathead:thumbs:lol::lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Those 'low relief' trees make a big difference:doublethumb

'Kev
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
No doubt about the right direction Marty and not far to go either. The steps are looking good too.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Marty, you've made a good job of that backscene. The last two photos give a real impression of depth and look excellent to me. Now we are all waiting to see the top bit finished, I'm sure it will be worth waiting for. 

Just goes to show how a little bit of thinking can come up with a novel way to overcome a problem. Now we can all pinch your method and improve our backscenes :exclam:exclam 
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
rjr
Guest user
having read the comments about the cut out trees can i suggest a torn edge at the top rather than a cut one, It is very hard to get a soft edge wih scissors it will always long angular and harsh to some extent. If you tear the paper it may look softer. Its a trick decorators use if they ever have to over lap paper in a corner, tear the edge of the one underneath, this stops you having a harsh line and also thins the paper. Sometimes getting the paper damp (apply the glue) first helps it rip.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=3]Gwent Rail[/user] wrote:
 Now we are all waiting to see the top bit finished,
So am I :???:

Thanks Jeff

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
[user=205]rjr[/user] wrote:
having read the comments about the cut out trees can i suggest a torn edge at the top rather than a cut one,

Thanks John,

You've confirmed my thinking, somehow I need to create a fade between the trees and the sky and some further attention to breaking up the linear edge is required.
I think tearing before cutting would work but as the backscene is already stuck down the fade will have to be done in place.

The plan… first to use the craft knife blade to carefully nick out tiny sections of trees and allow the sky to show through, then carefully wet down the backscene so that the paper goes a bit soggy and "fuzz" up the edges of the cuts with my thumb while the paper is wet. :roll: :shock: :???:

We shall see.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Some more on The Wood

How's this?

Isopropyl (sp) alcohol sprayed along the join line while the diorama was on it's back, 50/50 PVA glue and water applied by eyedropper where needed and flock/foliage sprinkled to blend the join between the wood and the sky.

The step and bridge have had an undercoat and Colonel Sandringham (rtd) from the Ministry of Transport is inspecting the workmanship.
The path through the wood can just be seen, Jarrah sawdust glued as above and compacted once wet. The redness fades with exposure to air, the brown scatter on the bank is the same sawdust a month later.

The rest of the wood's trees are now permanently in place along the bank behind the platform along with various shrubs and grasses.

Below 1472 and autocoach at the Halt to pick up Colonel Sandringham.

Pulling out across the bridge over the Afon Teifi towards Pencader.

… and along the line.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
To my eyes, a vast improvement & the last 2 pics are the bees knees :doublethumb
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
 Phew :???: 

Cheers mate… I was stressing :roll: :lol::lol::lol:

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
rjr
Guest user
I think your there !!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Love that last picture Marty!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Oh yes! . . . and a curved platform, to boot!  Is there no end to this man's talent?

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Marty top job,that cracked it looks fab.

:pathead:pathead:thumbs:thumbs:lol::lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Wow, Marty. Those last 3 are tops!!!  Thinking back to your early photos of the area, I'd say you've caught the charm of it beautifully.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Really really nice, and the photos match the quality of the hard work that you have put into the diorama, the trees behind the halt look spot on, well actually the whole thing is spot on.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I must agree with the consensus of opinion here and say EXCELLENT JOB.

I do think you've solved the backscene problem in a way which atually adds to the overall impression. Very often we come up with an idea that solves a problem, but is a compromise, this is one idea that I'd use (and will be using) even if the problem did not exist.

Well done, mate.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Marty, :wow Now that is how you solve a problem! Very well done!

Sometimes the naked eye and photos see things differently, does it look that good in real life?

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Deffo worth the re-working....:doublethumb

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I don't see how it can be improved upon. Very, very nice Marty.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.