OO Gauge - Blossom Hill

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hi Reg

I wasn't that interested in the diesel/modern era, but I think you've just converted me :cool wink

Did you model the canal museum and shops on an actual place? It just looks similar to somewhere I've been.

(Perhaps I've just spent too many holidays visiting museums).

That Deltic is certainly not 'hanging about'.

Great stuff  :thumbs:thumbs:thumbs

Ed

Last edit: by Ed

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Hi Ed .
No particular place ,just trying to fit in with the space formed by the curved viaduct, and the fact that the corner needed to have some sort of activity to fill in with.  i used  some " shops under arches" from Scalescenes ,added some figures and LED ,s . Like Topsy it just grewed.
I enjoy scratchbuilding ,trouble is Ed i find it takes so long ,the remainder of the layout doesn,t get any attention.  Blossom Hill has no platforms yet!
Thanks for your interest ,i will try to show some more pictures later.

reg

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Perhaps i should have added ,i have steam and diesel loco,s.  The steamers though derail now and again,especially the pony trucks.  In fairness that,s probably down to my track laying.   The diesels though are more forgiving, are more likely to not stall on points ,so in order to have a happy running session ,they get used the most.

reg

Posted
Rating:
That's the problem Reg.

I'm a "steam man" myself - love the glamour and raw power associated with steam locos plus, they take me back to my youth but, as in the real world, the diesel models outperform the steamers in almost every way.  I decided to compromise and go "transition" era. :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
That,s a good way to go Peter ,for buildings too.

reg

Posted
Rating:
During the Christmas break I popped over to Reg's to see how he has progressed with Blossom Hill. The first thing noted is that he has decided to focus on Network Southeast and so there is a build up of red white and blue rolling stock - notably a super looking Hornby VEP:

The canal area has received some attention too

There are some lovely little cameos with all sorts to catch the eye:

Also inside the mill there are all sorts of goodies:

The terraced houses also contain a wealth of detail too

And to finish with another train - a class 33:

Bob

Last edit: by Bob K

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks for sharing those photos, Bob.  It really is a great layout.  :thumbs

I've always imagined that if I lived there, one of those long canal boats would make a groovy home.

Posted
Rating:
A really cracking collection of photo's there Bob. Reg has paid a lot of attention to detail in this layout, a real pleasure to view, thanks for sharing it with us. 

Last edit: by spurno

Always try to look on the bright side of life!

Barney

Posted
Rating:
Banned
I want to know how I have missed this superb layout over the time I've been here…? I will re-read this thread over the weekend, but what I have seen is fantatsic. :thumbs

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Really nice work Reg. so nice to see the layout progressing, many thanks for the photos Bob.

All the Best,

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Thanks lads,  Platforms are started ,a bit more water in the canal to add (PVA)   Then repairs to the suspension bridge damaged by the cat trying to get out of the window on to the shed roof.:roll:   Thanks again to Bob for taking the photographs.

reg

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
One platform nearly finished ,needs a bit of weathering ,i will try to put piccys up, to night but struggle with that.:roll:

reg

Posted
Rating:
I'm still trying to catch up Reg and I've got this far now.

A really stunning collection of photos from Bob of a super layout.  I love those little cameos around the canal.  The scaffolding on the terraced houses is also a brilliant addition.

It's so often the little details that lift a layout above the also-rans and yours is full of these details.  Excellent. :thumbs:thumbs:thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Thank you Peter. I seem to take ages to progress these days,but enjoy it just as much.  Like Marty says "life gets in the way"

reg

Posted
Rating:
[user=31]sparky[/user] wrote:
One platform nearly finished ,needs a bit of weathering ,i will try to put piccys up, to night but struggle with that.:roll:
Not to worry Reg. Mr Dapol will be over in March for his quarterly inspection of progress, so best get cracking!

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
It looks like i have the afternoon   clear for modelling today.    Yeehaa

reg

Posted
Rating:
A bit of train spotting at Blossom Hill. I popped over to visit Reg and see how he has got on since my last visit. The platforms are in, a footbridge is under construction and lights are being fitted on the platforms. Here are some pictures. First an overview:

And now some NSE stock:

A BR Class 25 runs through the relief line at the head of a cement train:

A Chilterns Line Turbostar calls by:

The platform seats are the new laser cut kits from Metcalfe.

A Class 47 at the head of a rake of MK 1s.

An old Green Class 24 in the headshunt:

And finally a 9F hauls a tanker train through the station:

Last edit: by Bob K

Posted
Rating:
Some very nice stock there Bob. :thumbs:thumbs

Pity the old Class 24 is just rusting away in that siding - does Reg want to give it a new lease of life here in France ……..along with that lovely 9F ? ……:roll::roll::roll:

The Metcalfe seats look pretty decent.  How many do you get in the kit ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks for the photos, Bob.

That's a nice weathering job on the Class 24, Reg.

Did you do it yourself?

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Thank you for your interest Lads.  
Peter-  The Metcalfe  station seats come in two types ,GWR and plain as i have used.  You get 4 single benches and 1 double bench in each packet.  You can find these together with park benches on the Metcalfe web site.    They make up easily and are self coloured.
They come with a what they call a jig printed on the card.   This is a stiff folded piece of card that is supposed to hold the bench uprights in place while you glue the wooden slats on.  I may be heavy handed but i found they  bench uprights would not hold in the jig very well.  It was easy to stick these uprights on to double sided tape which held them firm on the workbench.  When spacing these out, one has to go by the printed bolt holes in the slats in order to glue the slats in the appropriate spot.  They recommend using UHU which takes a little while to dry ,with the jig one can only make up one seat at a time , with the double sided tape method they can all be made up in a few minutes.

Max- The weathered class 24 came pre weathered ,is one of my best runners ,you know you get one loco that never lets you down ,tha,ts the one.  Its a Bachmann .

Spent a pleasent few hours with Bob (novice) yesterday , who was kind enough to "get the photos up"  Thanks Bob .
I still struggle to get photos on here myself , something i do wrong ( among plenty of ether things).

Thanks again for looking in.

reg
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.