Granby Junction 1948 N. Wales

Posted
Rating:

GWR/LMS OO Gauge DCC RR&Co

"Bon voyage" John if you get this before you go.

I love both your steel bridges - the weathering is excellent - what make is the girder bridge ?  It looks incredibly well detailed.

Oh - nearly forgot - what make are the people in that last shot ? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
"Bon voyage" John if you get this before you go.

I love both your steel bridges - the weathering is excellent - what make is the girder bridge ?  It looks incredibly well detailed.

Oh - nearly forgot - what make are the people in that last shot ? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks Peter

I think it was Kibril or similar…………it is more detailed than the Peco, Atlas and ex Airfix versions but it was both fun and easy to build.

French (I think) Canal du Nivernais 2008 

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Thats great progress John - the different angles and height variations made by the bridges and retaining walls makes this a very interesting area to look at .

I dont know whether you realised that the way you have done the canal edges is exactly (and I mean exactly) the way the Shropshire Union Canal Company built their edges to protect the banks. I dont think we have mentioned it before .

Have a great time sailing and I promise not to start nagging as soon as you get back :eek: - I am honoured you have named the wharf after me and I am so glad you have found my input usefull.

Richard. A sorely missed member who lost a brave battle in 2012.

Posted
Rating:
I dont know whether you realised that the way you have done the canal edges is exactly (and I mean exactly) the way the Shropshire Union Canal Company built their edges to protect the banks. I dont think we have mentioned it before .

Thanks Richard

Thats a real bonus……you mentioned the height and a variety of materials but not this specifically……they are actually Slaters Flagstones. I attempted to cut them in half to create 2 courses but the cuts were too difficult and there were gaps etc.
I am honoured you have named the wharf after me and I am so glad you have found my input usefull.
My pleasure :lol:. Your input has been more than useful….it has been invaluable. And Richard has a sort of Welsh sound to it……eventually you will have a Halt on the branch in the Foreground as well

My Wife found a way to pack the viaduct so when I get back it will be completely painted along with sheets for some of the retaining walls 

I do hope you are making progress with the treatment………..talk to you soon.

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
I have been back in town for a couple of weeks so when I havent been glued to the computor reading about the Exhibition I have made a little progress………..I think little is the key word……… having read Stubbys achievements with Frenzied Wharf I think this is more like laid back wharf:lol: 

We managed to get the viaduct on to the boat and I was able to complete the painting and install the inner retaining walls and track underlay

I just need to add some moss  to hide a couple of joins and a bit more weathering……moisture dripping down….. and its done

From the other side with the Girder Bridge removed

Yet another shot of the downstream lock (sorry this must be amazingly boring) where I am slowly…..very slowly…..laying the revetments and tow paths but at least you can now see the recess outside the lock for the gate when in the open position 

After reading Wheeltappers emails I ripped out the upstream lock sub structure and cut the lock gates down so that the upper lock is a more realistic height.

Here is my second attempt using black foam board (to be clad with Slaters sheeting). It now projects beyond the bridge which enables me to set up more realistic ramp lengths…………you can see the spaces set up on either side of the bridge

This next shot shows the foamboard is cut in a curve (when clad it will be smooth). The curve follows the radius as the lock gate arms are pushed round to open the gates………….I got this idea from a superb photo Wheeltapper sent me…..thanks Richard

You can see the hash marks for the tow path…..the micro strip extends the tow path width…..otherwise the horses would need to be amphibians

And now for a change of pace……..

The next shot should prove conclusively that Captain Vancouver was in a very bad mood indeed when he named this stretch of water…………………….Desolation Sound!!!

We are back on the boat tomorrow for the last time this year……………

The 2 week cruise is optimistically called "The Last of the Summer Wine"    having heard the weather forecast I fear the wine is likely to be watered down……..Wet and Windy I am afraid

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I suspect they were down to half rations of hardtack  and quarter rations of rum when it was named.  Great view!

Beautiful viaduct too.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Towpaths often ended at tunnels and resumed the other side, John.
The boatmen used to lay on their backs and 'walk' the craft through the tunnel while the horse was led around by another route.
No need for aquatic horses (sea horses?).

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
They would have to have pretty long legs to walk thru the viaduct!  The towpath was set out but I misaligned the viaduct so I was committed to the path but it was too skinny………..fortunately after the extension the canal measures just (only just) over 15' so there is room for two narrow boats 

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
If you built that viaduct on your cruise John, the weather must have been extremely kind.  I'd have expected a slight list to starboard at least although I suspect you did one side then the other as you came about !!!!

It really does look superb - it's almost a shame to weather it but I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job.  My layout is planned to include at least some bridges and viaducts - I love them !!  Given the time I spent "planning" my module and the fact that I really must finish it, the actual layout may well be built from inside my coffin !!!!  At least there'll be plenty of wood but I don't think they use many screws. :roll::roll:

The shot of "Desolation Sound" looks wonderful - a real picture postcard shot.  It doesn't look as if you had much wind there either judging from the jib.  It's a nice looking boat - what is she and do you lift her out during winter ?

By the sound of the forecast, your "Last of the Summer Wine" weekend could end up becoming a "Last of the Summer Whine" weekend :lol::lol::lol:.  Hope you enjoy it. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
If you built that viaduct on your cruise John, the weather must have been extremely kind.  I'd have expected a slight list to starboard at least although I suspect you did one side then the other as you came about !!!!

It really does look superb - it's almost a shame to weather it but I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job.  My layout is planned to include at least some bridges and viaducts - I love them !!  Given the time I spent "planning" my module and the fact that I really must finish it, the actual layout may well be built from inside my coffin !!!!  At least there'll be plenty of wood but I don't think they use many screws. :roll::roll:

Thanks Peter……I have to be honest……I only painted the viaduct on the cruise and only when we were at the dock/anchor…..its the original Langley Kit glued (no screws  :lol:) to ply formers………..I would thoroughly recommend it having read Rick (Gwiwers) execellent thread in Penhayle Bay I think with the Langley kit being more flexible it is easier to get the Arch inlays set up properly……………takes forever to paint though

The shot of "Desolation Sound" looks wonderful - a real picture postcard shot.  It doesn't look as if you had much wind there either judging from the jib.  It's a nice looking boat - what is she and do you lift her out during winter ?
Its a fabulous cruising area……lots more vistas like this………..you are right about the breeze…..probably 7-8 knots on the beam……no rush…..glass of wine in hand …..perfect :cheers

Thanks for the kind remarks about Jess (named after the indomitable Scots mother of our ex Partner….she immigrated to Canada when she was 75 and lied about her age to get into the bowling club!)  Jess (the boat) is an eight year old 40' Jeanneau (made in France not that far from you?). We are very attached to her and go out as much as we can…..a true case of last of the Summer Wine because eventually old age will creep up (actually it seems faster than a creep!) and we will no longer be able to handle her…….but for now Carpe Diem :thumbs

Last edit: by John Dew

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hello John,

Thank You very much for such an enthralling and interesting escapade. Some great posts on excellent modelling and and timely and precise advice from Richard on "Canal Building"(or is it Navigational Digging). The Viaduct Bridge assembly was very good, John, and very much appreciated, as my 1st project for my Lay-out will be an elongated S-shaped Viaduct in N Gauge 6/8ft in length of approx 30+ arches, which will span a valley including Canal and River. Any problems and I will "shout loudly" for you or Richard, so keep a "weather-ear" open, Cap'n. Once again, Many Thanks,

Kind Regards,

Michael Thornberry.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..Its a fabulous cruising area……lots more vistas like this………..you are right about the breeze…..probably 7-8 knots on the beam……no rush…..glass of wine in hand …..perfect :cheers
………………………………………………………………………………………………
You've said it all John - what could be better - a zephyr like breeze, a  lovely boat (as you said, based just north of La Rochelle about 3 or 4  hours drive north of us) and a glass of (no doubt) good Bordeaux in hand  …………………mmmmm, I'm dreaming again  !!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=469]Michael Thornberry[/user] wrote:
……………………………………………………………my 1st project for my Lay-out will be an elongated S-shaped Viaduct in N Gauge 6/8ft in length of approx 30+ arches, which will span a valley including Canal and River………………………………..
I'm eagerly awaiting this one Michael…………:shock::shock::shock:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
With the summer drawing to a close I am finally starting to make some tangible progress. Although having said that, I am afraid this is yet another string of photos of the canal. A health warning for readers…..if you are disturbed by more pictures of this unfinished project complete with paint smudges and nasty gaps……switch off now.

I have painted what I hope is the final base coat on the canal and lock beds. I have a test bed ready so next week I will do a trial pour with the Magic Water.

The canal revetments, towpaths and lock walls and quays(?) are paved and walled

The Langley Lock Gates have now been assembled and painted………. 

These are the Top or Upstream Gates……….I think I have rather overdone the weathering and I still need to establish some evidence of green slime.

The woodwork is painted grey rather than black because my Honourary Canal Adviser Richard (Wheeltapper) advised me that the Shropshire Union Canal Co (who were taken over by the GWR) bought a load of Royal Navy Post WW1 surplus Battleship Grey……….this is actually LNER Freight Grey but it probably came from the same source

Hopefully Richard will see this post………should I paint the very end of the gate bars white (like Langley) or leave it as is?

The above shot illustrates some of the frustration I have with this project. It was only after I had carefully cut down and weathered and fixed the paddles that I realised (as you will shortly see) that they are immersed in the canal……never to be seen again:twisted::twisted:

Here is the side that will be exposed

The grey bit between the gates is surplus epoxy and is semi deliberate……the plan is to touch it up with white paint to simulate water obeying gravity

I think the paddle ratchets are a bit high and should be of even height……as the they are open a little I guess I should have a guy working on the bridge……..should there be a safety rail on each gate?

Here is the bottom or downstream gate

The gate hinges Langley provide are quite neat….

Here is the bottom gate temporarily in position……

And here are the top gates in position

The lock area is now clad using a variety of wills granite sett off cuts. Painting and filling the cracks with moss etc is one of the next jobs

This shows the Exchange Siding bridge in place……..I have to constantly move the bridges back and forth not just to take photos but also to access the canal and then put them back again to ensure the side structures (in this case ramps) fit flush.

Despite the brown paint smudge this shot actually cheered me up a lot because I can now visualise the end result of this little scene and I am quite pleased with overall effect

Conversely this shot with the viaduct in place I found quite depressing…………..the viaduct isnt finished after all……a very obvious crack and some very unconvincing stonework…..ugh!!!!

The next shots illustrates some of the problems/frustrations I am having with the project. I preach Broad Brush and then waste days fine tuning some aspect of the lock which will eventually be dominated and overshadowed by the girder bridge.

Having shared my frustrations I still think there is some progress. Any day now I will get a delivery of urgently needed road materials from Cornwall and I can finish laying the roads and towpaths……and in the meantime I can look forward to my first experience with Magic Water.

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Looking good, John.  :thumbs  Two bits of advice from one who has used Magic Water.   1 Make sure there are no holes in the baseboard, and 2 Make sure the layout is level.  It's the very devil to get out of the carpet.  :mutley

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
This is fascinating, John. I like it a lot.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I can see the work that has gone into that, John.

I don't think the 'crack' is too much to worry about.
Perhaps a little scatter where plant life has found a foothold?
Maybe a dab of paint on the edges near your 'brown smudge' but the whole thing looks very impressive.
Photo's famously enlarge any blips.
The fact that it's partly hidden is an attraction for the viewer - the implication is there is a lot going on elsewhere.
Great project.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
watching a scene come together is never boring John, so plod on,
the girder bridge looks brill, nice bit of weathering, the canal too.

:doublethumb:lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=15]owen69[/user] wrote:
watching a scene come together is never boring John, so plod on,
the girder bridge looks brill, nice bit of weathering, the canal too.

:doublethumb:lol::cool:
woteesed!

If you think your hard work on the lock gate will be overlooked, perhaps a light coloured 'something' behind to draw the eye in would help?

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Hi John

Excellent progress on the lock.  Ends of the beams would have been white - very well worn to fit into the same pattern as the rest of the gate weathering. Paddle racks are right to be uneven as no two sets are exactly the same and the height looks fine.

The ledges on the downstream side of the gates often have large quantities of ferns and greenery growing on them - not unknown for ducks and other birds to nest on them hidden in the foliage.

Its coming on a treat.

Richard. A sorely missed member who lost a brave battle in 2012.

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.