Granby Junction 1948 N. Wales

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member

GWR/LMS OO Gauge DCC RR&Co

Yes a pump house or feeder stream emerging from under a building would work.

Richard. A sorely missed member who lost a brave battle in 2012.

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I have had a thought which would mean the lock didnt have to change level. Where two canal companies property joined it was often the case that a Gauging Lock was installed . Gauging calculated the weight a boat was carrying to enable the tonnage tolls to be worked out. When a boat first went into service is had different weights added and the freeboard measured . Each boat was numbered and a record of these measurements were kept at the toll stations so every time a boat was loaded the company knew what to charge which was done by placing a measuring stick against the side of the boat and measuring the freeboard from the waterline to the gunwales . A Gauging lock looks just like a normal lock and were also sometimes used as Stop locks to protect each companies jealously guarded water supply. You would need to place a toll office next to the lock if you adopted this raison daitre.

Posted
Rating:
[user=373]Wheeltapper[/user] wrote:
Yes a pump house or feeder stream emerging from under a building would work.

Perfect

I think my basin may have to become a wharf……through traffic only:cry: I dont think I can accommodate 70' + x 70'+……anyway I will keep working on it

Many thanks for all the input Richard :cheers

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
A wharf may be a lot easier and look right with perhaps a waterside warehouse with over water canopy and you could represent two locks with your lock kit , one at each end of the baseboard ( bottom gates of one  and top gate of the other),

Its a general belief that  model canals dont take up much room - a quickly dispelled myth when you try to lay them out on paper in a prototypically correct manner :roll:

Posted
Rating:
I have resolved (if not solved) the problem of the girder bridge and the viaduct arches. The last two arches have been added which involved cutting one arch away and then butting the trimmed section to the existing pillar

This shot shows the rail bed exiting the bridge on a 36" radius curve and entering the penultimate arch

And this shot shows it exiting through the last arch. You can really see the skew effect here

The cut away pillars will be clad with stone sheet and the two end pillars will have wooden supports added and be similarly clad. The bridge support will be clad as well

The viaduct itself will be embedded into a rock face and the railway will enter through a tunnel portal…….the raised track bed will be concealed by an embankment or a rocky causeway………..I guess I will have to determine which came first…..the viaduct or the Girder Bridge……I suspect the former is the more plausible. 

Its a little unrealistic but once dollied up will, I think, look ok………….particularly as the skew has forced me to put the canal at an angle and I now have room for this Warehouse

This is another Langley kit which I have had for some time. I used it as a back scene on my last layout but there is a lot of cool detail  which will look better close up as a warehouse for the canal wharf  

I guess I will have to invent some legend about a GWR wharf because I aint going to repaint it!

You can see it will effectively mask the exit from the bridge.

Of course there is a snag :hmm

It is ultral low relief so I will have to get involved in some pretty major scratch building

Now the bridges are sorted I can mark out the canal . For clarity I have temporarily moved the bridges

The first scrappy bit of green tape shows the right edge of the main road which enters from under a bridge on the main branch baseboard,skirts the triangular girder bridge support and exits through the  the first viaduct arch.

The third arch will have a road servicing the Warehouse

The canal enters from the bottom via a downstream or lower lock into the wharf (diagonal tape) which thanks to Richard (Wheeltapper) is a scale 30' wide by 80' long…….at the end of the wharf it narrows to 8' to go through the second arch with a tow path on either side as it approaches the upstream or upper lock

Is this typically how the canal would narrow down?

The next shot shows the lock and how I am going to build up the surrounding ground around the lock with 3/4" ply

I believe I have got the lock gates wrong …….this is a top gate and should be in the lower lock

And these are bottom gates and should be on the upper lock

I have deliberately squared off the wharf at this end to maximise the loading area

Comments, queries and advice much appreciated before I start cutting the canal outline from the 1/4" ply overlay (the lower lock will actually be cut into the duck under itself). Hopefully I will get a seal of approval from Richard

Kind Regards

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Coming along nicely, JD.  I particularly like the warehouse.  A few OHS issues there!!    :mutley

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Well done with the viaduct problem John you have resolved that well

That Ware house is a lovely kit which suits prefectly to area you want to use it so well worth spending the extra time scratchbuilding the back of it.

I can see this part of the layout is going to look really interesting

Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
John that viaduct and warehouse look wonderful.  Langley kits you say.  The stonework is really good. :thumbs:thumbs

I suspect you're right that the girder bridge would follow the viaduct in age but I do like the way you've intertwined them to get around an awkward corner.  When it's all landscaped, it will look great.

Richard's the expert, but I'm pretty sure you're also right about the lock gates although in many (if not the majority of) cases, particularly on "broad" canals, there were twin gates both top and bottom of the lock.  The single gates tended to be used mainly on the narrow canals - it was all to do with strength in that the double gates form a stronger barrier than the single one.

Now - watch Richard tell me I'm talking out of the top of my hat (maybe Mr Brunel's hat :roll:) !!!  :hmm:hmm:hmm:mutley

Right or wrong, it's going to look fantastic.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
i agree with all that`s been said,a good solution to an awkward problem.

:doublethumb:lol::lol::cool:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
John,
I really like the Langley kit, but you have stated that you will not be re-painting it. That scratchbuild will be very interesting, adding on to it and not re-painting it? Not sure I could do that. Maybe I can learn something here. :lol:

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:

Coming along nicely, JD.  I particularly like the warehouse.  A few OHS issues there!!    :mutley
Thanks Max……….OHS is oz for what in Canadian?:lol:

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Thank you all for approving the work around……its really encouraging to get that sort of feed back……very re assuring 

I am afraid I havent mastered multi quotes……could anyone give me a hint? 

Meantime

[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
John that viaduct and warehouse look wonderful.  Langley kits you say.  The stonework is really good. :thumbs:thumbs

The Warehouse is a plastic extrusion or forming just like the viaduct and retaining walls. Its quite thin and I typically back any free standing structures with card or ply.

The kit comes with plastic loading doors but they sell a number of white metal add ons like the window corbels (?), drainpipes and loading doors which look a lot better than the plastic version……the figures are all from Langley along with a gibbet crane which I have temporarily mislaid:roll:

Wayne

The paint comment was primarily in relation to the GWR Light and Dark Stone paint scheme and my sneaking feeling it shouldnt really be a GWR Warehouse on a canal but I have one or two cunning plans to deal with that

I hadnt thought about the actual stone work too much but the actual building is so thin I will attempt to build a completely new side wall………..I may try and squeeze in a bit of extra frontage to look like a a later extension and that will justify the different stonework both in colour and texture…………the roof will be an issue though

I am going to have to discipline myself not to start this right away otherwise I will never get track to the other side

Regards to all

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:

Thanks Max……….OHS is oz for what in Canadian?:lol:

OHS - I think Max means

Occupational Health & Safety
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Oh Elf n safety……………didnt have that in 1947!

Its called workers comp here

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:
Oh Elf n safety……………didnt have that in 1947!

Its called workers comp here

In Uk we called it "elf n softy" - far more efficient at putting people out of work than any recession !!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Richard's the expert, but I'm pretty sure you're also right about the lock gates although in many (if not the majority of) cases, particularly on "broad" canals, there were twin gates both top and bottom of the lock.  The single gates tended to be used mainly on the narrow canals - it was all to do with strength in that the double gates form a stronger barrier than the single one.

Now - watch Richard tell me I'm talking out of the top of my hat (maybe Mr Brunel's hat :roll:) !!!  :hmm:hmm:hmm:mutley

Right or wrong, it's going to look fantastic.

Langley offer a double gate set but I opted for the single lock kit because even then I was worried about space……so the locks and approaches will be 8' wide and only the wharf will accommodate more than one narrow boat

I am just waiting for Richard to give the ok and then I will start cutting out

Having read Waynes Lake thread I have decided to use resin for the water rather than varnish and I have just ordered some  Magic Water (I hope it is magic)

Now that I am pouring rather than painting I think I will have to install the lock gates, side walls and canal embankments first

A couple of questions

[1] Is 2' +- about the right depth from the tow path to the water level

[2] What type of brick/stone was used for the embankments……can I use the same sort of stones that are on the viaduct or will they be too big…………..I will have grass in places but the wharf and lock entries will have to more solid

I thought the forum was strangely quiet and then realised everyone (or almost everyone) is getting set up for the England Game………………because of the tides I have to get my real boat back into the water just as they kick off……..bummer:twisted:

I am taping it so I will have to spend the next few hours not listening to the radio…..even in Canada

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
John,
If you get your Magic Water before me, good luck! I hope it works for the both of us. I'm glad I was able to save you the problems I've run into.

I'll be ordering my Magic Water shortly.

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I used Magic Water, John.  It's terrific.  However for the ripples on the surface, I used Woodlands Scenics Water Effects.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Here are a couple of pics - excuse the photography!

Posted
Rating:
[user=22]Wayne Williams[/user] wrote:
John,
If you get your Magic Water before me, good luck! I hope it works for the both of us. I'm glad I was able to save you the problems I've run into.

I'll be ordering my Magic Water shortly.

Wayne

Well it has a shorter distance to travel……I got a personal email from Dave Williams as well as the paypal stuff……………I will let you know how I get on

Learning from you I am going to do some test pours to understand how it flows and to get the colour right

John
Granby III
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.