00 Gauge - The Far North Line

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member

ScR steam in the 50's

Just gone through the whole thread again, the layouts are quite stunning and the backscenes are second to none.:thumbs

Bozzy(never known to pass a pub)
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Thanks- one or two more, starting with a weathered van at Thurso, and then a view of the coaling stage and water tank.

Then a couple taken at Helmsdale recently.

Last edit: by Ben Alder

Posted
Rating:
Incredible detail Ben - virtually nothing to suggest they're not "real" locations.

You must have spent a long time studying the full size version and your powers of observation must be good to incorporate all the "little things" that take it to the top of the modelling field.  I love that displaced edge stone in the first shot - together with the scrape marks that dislodged it. :thumbs:thumbs:thumbs

Are they outdoor shots ?  If not, your lighting is superb. :pathead

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Thanks,- the lighting is indeed superb- it's natural daylight coming through a Velux, and gives very interesting results at this time of year, if you are around at the time…. that, and the little Powershot with manual controls does the rest.

Thanks for the excuse re. the displaced edging stone- it only really shows up in digital, but is one of the many that needs to be attended to. Lots to be done yet, but I'm getting there.

Posted
Rating:
[user=772]Ben Alder[/user] wrote:
…………………………………………………………………….

Thanks for the excuse re. the displaced edging stone- it only really shows up in digital, but is one of the many that needs to be attended to. Lots to be done yet, but I'm getting there.
Please don't "attend to it" Ben - I honestly thought it was done on purpose and was one of the "details" I referred to.

It is perfectly conceivable that it was hit by some passing loco or wagon - even down to the paving having lifted during the event.  You can even see what could be scrape marks just before whatever hit it, dug in and lifted the end of the platform.  Perhaps some kind of warning barrier to keep people off until repairs have been carried out.  I don't think they used that red and white tape in those days but a hastily erected post and wire fence with a "Keep Out" would do the trick.

I thought it a really nice touch. :cheers:cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Stunning work here Ben. As Peter mentioned
Please don't "attend to it" Ben - I honestly thought it was done on purpose and was one of the "details" I referred to.

It is perfectly conceivable that it was hit by some passing loco or wagon - even down to the paving having lifted during the event.  You can even see what could be scrape marks just before whatever hit it, dug in and lifted the end of the platform.  Perhaps some kind of warning barrier to keep people off until repairs have been carried out.  I don't think they used that red and white tape in those days but a hastily erected post and wire fence with a "Keep Out" would do the trick.

I too thought the damage to that part of the platform was intentionally modelled for effect.

As I said stunning work.

Always try to look on the bright side of life!

Barney

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Right, thanks- I'll leave the stone alone! The setts will need a bit of flushing though, although I suspect that it'll hardly be apparent to as it is at a casual glance- another case of the unforgiving digital eye here, I think.

A couple more from the archives now. A view of the Ratio coal shed in late evening light-

And one of the shed, with the Ratio coaling tower- they have been kind to the HR area modeller, and a view of The Mound, which I might have posted up already, but irs one I'm fond of, so we'll see it again, perhaps!:lol:

And lastly, another of the fleet- a Langley Clyde Puffer, as immortalized in the Para Handy stories.

Last edit: by Sol

Posted
Rating:
A bit of a test here- an image uploaded to 1024, as mentioned in the recent photographic upload topic.

Hmm, doesn't seem to be any different from 800x600 - baffled yet again :roll:

Last edit: by Sol

Posted
Rating:
I always resize mine to 800 wide Ben.  :thumbs

I have no idea if increasing to 1024 is to do with physical size of pixel density.  Whatever, as you say, it seems to make no difference to either the quality or size of the image.  Maybe that's because our screens aren't good enough to detect it …………….:roll::roll::roll:

Good picture by the way - I note the coach has featured in earlier shots, is it kit built ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
It's an Ian Kirk kit with Comet underpinnings, and is used to represent an LNER restuarant car sometimes seen at Helmsdale. not sure if it is the correct type, but it's close enough for me!The photo was taken in daylight and the engine is due for a visit to the airbrush for toning down next week, if the weather holds- my spraybooth is the outdoors, so this sort of work is very seasonal….

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
I have been taking advantage of the recent good weather to do some airbrush weathering- spray booth being the back door….  thus limiting frequency of usage severely. but the Bens now look their age!

Posted
Rating:
Banned
As always Ben, superb modelling. The loco does look great in its weathered appearance.. I too do not have a spray booth, so it's off to the verandah on the back of the house. This is where a disposable face face comes in handy…

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks,- most of my weathering is drybrush and washes, but locos do need an airbrush to get a smooth finish. I apply tis with very diluted acrylic coats- Humbrol 79 being the base, and with this lot I used their recently released acrylic thinners, which worked well with the airbrush. I never worked with enamels this way- far too toxic for my liking- but with a compressor set at a low pressure I'm quite happy to spray away; but then I'm only doing thin washes, and some of it is done on the table inside- don't mention this to the wife, BTW, she's off on holiday at the mo.

Another distraction recently was trying out macro shots with the camera- I've gone back to manual operation- far more fun- and here are a couple from the last day or two starting with a general shed shot.

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Now you are really teasing us ! Those close-ups are fantastic and to say your just having a play with macro function, eh ?? The two Black 5's look awesome on shed.

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Brilliant photos Ben - I presume using the delay on the shutter release and camera on the deck ………..:roll::roll::roll:

Can you tell us a little more about your airbrushing ?  It's something I've never really tackled.  Paint consistency and pressure always seems to be a bit "hit and miss" with me plus, I really don't want to spend 4 hours setting up and then cleaning the airbrush just to do a single coat on a 16 ton mineral wagon …………..:???::???::???:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I just feel like giving up !!!!!

Wonderful as always
Regards  Ray

Regards

Rhiwderin_Ray

Posted
Rating:
Thanks all- I'll come back to this later, but here's some more of the close up brigade, and another of a slightly distressed Ben.

Posted
Rating:
The latest work has been with the Peco points- trying to make them look a bit more like British trackwork- which has involved sticking cosmetic chairs to the outside of the track. A bit tedious, and still ongoing, but makes a difference, I think.

And finally, another close up.

Posted
Rating:
This shot shows a modified and untouched point, for comparison. The untouched one is behind the worked on one.

Posted
Rating:
That certainly makes the connection between the rail and the sleeper Ben.

I,ve never noticed before, but now the bought one looks as if the rail has just been laid on the sleeper.

John.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.