00 Gauge - Jeff Lynn / SRman's New Layout

Posted
Rating:

Progress (or otherwise) on Jeff's new layout

[user=2172]Claus Ellef[/user] wrote:
Hi Jeff  I may be able to help with your Swedish.  No guarantee but it's fairly close to Danish. 
Thanks Claus. I can send you the scanned original and my Google version to see what you think. I'm fairly sure I've got most of it right.

:cheers

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I'm often fluent in jibberish, yiddish and rubbish its that's any help………….

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
[user=2006]Barry Miltenburg[/user] wrote:
I'm often fluent in jibberish, yiddish and rubbish its that's any help………….
Isn't that a coincidence. I was just about to say that I can offer Jibberish as well. I also do a good line in Double Dutch, and I am learning Unwinism - [yt]TiPbkVlJkKQ[/yt]

:mutley :mutley :mutley

Jeff Lynn,

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
We should start a thread on translation services ………………. :roll:

From time to time, I buy stuff from Germany and, (in the case of decoders) Austria.  I thought I'd learnt German at school but I can't even remember being at school now !!
There's definitely more in the Austrian version of the Zimo manuals. Someone has made a good job of translating for us English speakers, but it's not up to date. I'm just happy that it's been done at all.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
I have just posted a short video of the Jeco SJ X2000 unit crossing the Piko Hobby DB AG ICE 3 unit.

[yt]9TBSoAz3fak[/yt]

Jeff Lynn,

Posted
Rating:
Back to British: My Bachmann Collectors Club LT class 20 arrived today. It has had a quick test run and a few CV tweaks applied (mainly to lower the top speed and increase the time taken to accelerate), but is otherwise straight out of the box.

I will attach the etched name plates later, and maybe some of the buffer beam details, which may have to be cut down to allow me to retain the tension lock couplings, or I may actually detail up the cab end and remove the tension lock altogether. I envisage using it to top-and-tail trains with 'Sarah Siddons'.

20 142 'Sir John Betjeman' is here posed on my combined programming and photo-shoot track.

Last edit: by SRman

Jeff Lynn,

Posted
Rating:
Hi Jeff.  A rather smart Loco in my old firm’s colours. And named after a fine poet laureate. I won’t be getting one though it’s a bit big for my plank, considering I have a class 33 and a 71 already. Best of luck with your new driving force.  Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Certainly looks the part Jeff. Glad to see you're having more luck than me.

Edit to say have a look at my thread 'Adams 02 disappointed' thread for more of what's turning into a saga.

Last edit: by peterm

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
I fitted the pipes to the cab end only of 20 142, and glued the etched name plates on, then gave her (him??) a stretch with the pseudo-Dreadnought coaches. I posed it beside a Met Bo-Bo, but this one is actually No. 8, 'Sherlock Holmes'. This is the reason I chose 'Sir John' rather than the alternative class 20, which also bears the number 8 and name 'Sherlock Holmes'. I do actually have 'Sarah Siddons' in preserved livery.

Jeff Lynn,

Posted
Rating:
Hi Jeff. Nice video, but, a dodgy red aspect? it looks more like a road traffic signal with a dual aspect but red at the top and the other being yellow instead of green. A sudden attack of colour blindness by the linesman?  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Jeff. Nice video, but, a dodgy red aspect? it looks more like a road traffic signal with a dual aspect but red at the top and the other being yellow instead of green. A sudden attack of colour blindness by the linesman?  Best wishes Kevin 
You've lost me, Kevin. Which video are you referring to? None of my colour light signals have red at the top, and all of the 2-aspect signals are red/green. The colours do tend to wash out a bit on video or photo shots though.

The only dodgy signal I do know of is the Dapol working UQ distant signal, which has red and green lenses instead of red and yellow. I haven't figured out how to fix that yet.

Jeff Lynn,

Posted
Rating:
I have been experimenting with some coloured LED strip lighting. This is a lot dimmer than the bright white ones (which are still in place as well), but can be made to display a range of colours, including a dim cool white). In this case, I'm using blue to simulate a late twilight.

I have yet to wire up the Newton Broadway platform lights, but it will be interesting to see the effect once I do that.

Jeff Lynn,

Posted
Rating:
A few red lights on the various establishments of the Broadway "District" would complete these pictures! Not an area for the sensitive though down amongst those railway viaducts.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Jeff. I beg your pardon I received a Railway video and just, mistakenly, assumed it was from yourself. Anyway whoever sent it I must direct my criticism towards them. The subject of the video was goods trains running through a tunnel. Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
[user=2170]Colin W[/user] wrote:
A few red lights on the various establishments of the Broadway "District" would complete these pictures! Not an area for the sensitive though down amongst those railway viaducts.
Since the viaducts are still very much under construction, with the temporary placeholders needing to be replaced, I may be able to arrange a few red lights. I may need some expert advice though, Colin; are you available? 

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:mutley :mutley

Jeff Lynn,

Posted
Rating:
A few photos with my new Rapido West Midlands Daimler Fleetline. Compared with the prices of other diecast bus models, this is very good value as it also includes built-in lighting and poseable front steering. While a Birmingham bus doesn't really belong on Newton Broadway, I plan to alter the livery a little and put it into service as a second-hand bus with a more southerly operator (undecided whose, yet). I am so impressed I intend buying a second one and giving that a complete repaint. Rapido put out a warning that these models require only a 9 Volt supply, and that 12 volts might blow a component on the PCB. As a temporary measure I hooked this up to a variable voltage wall wart, set to 9V, but it also worked well at 7.5V, with no loss of brightness, although I would not have minded the interior lights being a bit dimmer.

Jeff Lynn,

Posted
Rating:
I've seen these in the press and they seem good value. Your twilight shots look really good  :thumbs

Best,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Jeff.  Nice bus, the 9 volt battery, is that the same type as were used in transistor radio’s, and possibly still are?And you are going to keep it static what about a driver and maybe an inspector? When I first came back to model Railways, before I realised that my planned layout was too big for my room space, I purchased some London buses maybe a small diorama would would work once I have finished work on the Inglenook Junction.  Best wishes Kevin 

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Jeff.  Nice bus, the 9 volt battery, is that the same type as were used in transistor radio’s, and possibly still are?And you are going to keep it static what about a driver and maybe an inspector? When I first came back to model Railways, before I realised that my planned layout was too big for my room space, I purchased some London buses maybe a small diorama would would work once I have finished work on the Inglenook Junction.  Best wishes Kevin 
I didn't use a battery Kevin, although that would work. As I said before, I used a variable voltage "wall wart" power supply.

Jeff Lynn,

Posted
Rating:
That look excellent Jeff.  :thumbs

As you say, slightly dimmer would have been better but it beats no lights at all. ;-)

Any way you could reduce the overall blue colour a bit  ?

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.