Members Monthly Project - May

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

Improving RTR Locomotives -

[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Apology accepted Derek :mutley

Whilst by blood, I'm half Scot, I spent most of my life in Yorkshire so am virtually "nationalised" and we're very touchy on that side of the hill !!  "Lanky" to us means long legged - when we mean "Lancashire", the words we use are best not committed to paper ………..:lol::lol:;-):cheers
:mutley:mutleyMind you don,t get green fly on your white roses. :mutley:mutley
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I'm sending out an order to N Brass Locos today for some LMS bogie kits,one of which will be for the 4P.I've also ordered a couple of chimneys and some lamp irons.I really want to get cracking on with things this week.
  I'll post photos of any changes as they happen.

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:thumbsNice one John my friend! I too am waiting on some deliveries. I suppose I had better confess now ;-) I have changed my track gauge to EM 18.2 . Busy regaging some 70 metres of track :roll: useing C&L EM track bases. Ordered a load of EM Markit axles for loco,s and Markway EM point kits, Also a L&Y Non gangwayed brake, brass kit coach.Plus I have a nice little Comet 0-8-0 loco chassis to build.

I have always wanted to try the wider 4mm Gauge, As I figure this will be my last big project, Might as well go for it now.

P4 Well lovely,But no way I could fit those long sweeping curves into my railway plan, Best I can do for my station/MPD room is 3'-6"radius curves.

:mutleyNext time the Jinty is here it will have EM axles.

Looking forward to your builds John :thumbs

I hope Peter did not get mad over my greenfly comment?

:cheers Derek

Last edit: by shunter1

Posted
Rating:
[user=477]shunter1[/user] wrote:
…………………………………………….

I hope Peter did not get mad over my greenfly comment?

:cheers Derek

It takes far more than that to upset me Derek - as a "nationalised" Yorkshireman, we're pretty thick ……skinned !!! ;-)  However, I have spent the last 4 days checking every petal ……:mutley:mutley:cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Not much done on the old girl as I'm still awaiting my order from NBrass Locos.(I'll get in touch later and see what's happening)However,I spent a large slice of yesterday battling with the lining out over the splashers and cab on one side,using Fox transfers.Curves are a particular swine of a job,as they twist and knot up as you get them off the backing paper…incredibly fiddly!! Don't do it lads,it'll do your heads in!!! :brickwall(Bloomin' N gauge!)
  The method I finally adopted was to break the lining down into smaller sections and add a bit at a time…very,very time consuming and requiring the patience of a Saint.(Saint John of Hyde!):roll::lol::lol:
  I'll do the other side this afternoon and hopefully post pics tonight.She does look TONS better,but I wouldn't fancy doing this regularly,as it was very,very trying.
  Wondering how my three partners in crime are getting on with their locos.Don't just forget about them lads…locos need love too!!
:mutley

Posted
Rating:
Mine's still on the workbench John - resting but definitely not forgotten.

We're in full swing with our summer letting season now so time is somewhat limited to say the least.  The "season" here is short but intense.

The problem seems to be that by the time I get my mind into gear and things set up to do some modelling, it's either time for bed or time to get back to the grindstone.  Summers are very frustrating when it comes to trying to do anything model-wise ………….  The pendulum rapidly swings between "working" and "knackered" but never holds long enough in between.  Then there's Rotary - I'm our club President this year ……….:cry::cry::cry:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Still aways to go yet.Waiting on NBrass Locos for an LMS bogie and new chimney,lots of other bits and bobs to do,but the lining is looking much better…

The frames have been corrected,but still need holes drilling through.

The join is still visible on the chimney,but I'm not too bothered as its only a temporary one.Next jobs are outside steam pipes,cab handrails,tender details and a crew.

Last edit: by georgejacksongenius

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
John
finally found it,good work.See you yomoz
Ged
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
sorry John,meant tomoz
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:hiJohn, Your Midland compound is coming on a treat and that lining is very much improved :thumbs Bet you sweated blood over that Mother of all Fiddly Jobs.

:oops: The Jinty is in bits, waiting for me to shift myself and give it some TLC, Must rev up the lathe and give it some presents.

:cheers

Derek

Posted
Rating:
Derek,
        I'm saving the most fiddly job of all for last.Putting the number on the smokebox door.
Now that IS a nightmare.I thought the buffer beam numbers on my GWR locos were a pain until I tried the smokebox door numbers!
       I may need to 'do a Baldrick' and come up with a "Cunning Plan!"
:mutley

Posted
Rating:
Nick of NBrass Locos has been back to me this week,the delay in my order was that he was waiting for some wheels for the bogie kits.These small cottage industry manufacturers that make those otherwise hard or impossible bits to get,really are worth their weight in gold,and I'm now looking forward to getting 1014 finished.
   I should have my bits and bobs by weekend!

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:thumbsGood to see you are getting the bits and pieces together John, Best of luck fitting them!

regards,

Derek

Posted
Rating:
I'm awaiting the handrail knobs from Markits for my Class 2.  Not at all their fault they're late - I've only just ordered them :oops::oops::oops::oops: (it's been hectic here recently).    Markits don't appear to have a secure site for card payments and I'm waiting for them come back to me with a price for delivery to France so I can send my cheque off.  I wonder why they offer an online shop but with no secure card payment system installed ……..:hmm

Having said that, the last 2 replies I had from them answering questions, landed in my mailbox at 1.26am and 3.04am respectively so maybe by tomorrow morning, I'll know my postage charges !!! 

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Peter, That non secure card system of payment seems to be common among small and cottage suppliers.
It does feel dodgy for online customers these days.

regards,

Derek

Posted
Rating:
My handrails and knobs arrived from Markits on Saturday. :thumbs

At least I think they did - good grief, they're small. :shock::shock:   12 in a packet, 2 packets (short and long) and I was sure they'd forgotten to put them in the bag.  Also ordered was a firebox door handle and that seems to be even smaller.

Who suggested this project in the first place ? :twisted::twisted::twisted:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
……….not me mate!!
:mutley:mutley:mutley

Last edit: by georgejacksongenius

Posted
Rating:
Well,my order from NBrass locos has now finally arrived,so work on 1014 can proceed!!
Yee-haww!!
:doublethumb
(lets see if I can remember how to do this…)

Posted
Rating:
Well,better late than never! 1014 has finally got her new chimney and correct bogie/wheelset.
Here's a couple of pics taken earlier today before I added the outside steam pipes.

As you can see from the 3rd photo,the cylinders need to be hacked on the insides to allow the bogie to move with its larger,more accurately scaled wheels.A downside of this will be that the loco will not be able to negogiate tight curves any more!
  I plan to put new bogies on a lot more of my locos despite this,as I prefer them to look "right".

Posted
Rating:
Any more updates from my fellow loco-improvers,Petermac,Shunter,Owen???

:cool wink

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.