Yard Security Lights

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
The Gold is the tolerance, Shaun = 5%

So brown = 1, black = 0 and the multiplier, red = 100.   So 10 x 100 = 1000  or 1 kOhm

then green = 5, blue = 6 and the multiplier, brown = 10.    So 56 x 10 =   560 Ohm

He's given you the opportunity to start at 1kOhm and work up in increments of half a K at a time

All you need is a colour chart from Google and you'll be fine.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Bod
They sound like a 1K and a 560 ohm respectively.

There is a resistor colour code calculator here:

http://samengstrom.com/24614782/en/read/4_Band_Resistor_Color_Codes

Edit: oops didn't see that a new message had appeared on a new page :oops:  The calculator may still be useful though.

Last edit: by Bod

Posted
Rating:
Well max this is starting to go over my head so if i go with the ones that are green ,blue,brown,gold  these will be ok or will i have to use two ? to make the lamps? sorry to sound thick but i am when it comes to this.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Shaun. Brown, black, red are 1 K ;   green, blue, brown is 560 ohms.  Max's colours are for 5 band resistors whereas  you have 4 band units.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_color_code
Use the 1k for the LEDs.

Can I suggest you obtain a multimeter - invaluable in this hobby.

Edit - oops posts crossed in the night.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks sol i never noticed this when i got the stuff i got 3mm leds and just asked for 12 volt resistors so are the ones no good what i got? .god i hate been clueless.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Yes Shaun, they are good - but as Max said, start with 1K & add 560 in series if still too bright for your needs.

Have a look in the YMR index under L for the various topics on LEDs.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thank you all for the help what would happen if i put two together?? :hmm would it still work.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=95]Sol[/user] wrote:
Shaun. Brown, black, red are 1 K ; green, blue, brown is 560 ohms. Max's colours are for 5 band resistors whereas you have 4 band units.
That's not right, Sol.  My codes are for four band resistors.

Use the Brown black red for a start, Shaun.  (1K).  Then add in green, blue browns (560s), one at a time until you get the brightness you want.

Ultra brights don't change as much as the lower brightness ones, but 1 K is a good place to start.

Posted
Rating:
thanks sol so if i made a lamp with just one resistor green blue brown how bright will it be?

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
How long is a piece of string?
Brightness is normally a personal thing - I would start with the 1K first as Max had said, then add a 560 if you think it is still too bright but if not bright enough, change it to a 560 but then if too bright, add in series two 560 in parallel ( which makes 280 ) plus the original 560 = 840. trail & eror but do not go below 560 at all otherwise magic smoke may  happen.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
i am going to make some of these but is there anyway to make them look like modern lights ??

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=381]shaun2000[/user] wrote:
i am going to make some of these but is there anyway to make them look like modern lights ??
Max made his based on photos of the era he is modelling so I guess if you can find photos of more modern lamps, then it would be a case of building one your self to start with ,using the same practices that Max used.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
thanks sol just wonderd if anyone has made them ? and could i bend the led up instead of it pointing down to make it look modern and if i gluded part of a plastic spoon on to the led to make a shade type thing .

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Have a look in the Forum Index Shaun as there maybe things there to help you. Try different letters for lamps.

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=381]shaun2000[/user] wrote:
thanks sol just wonderd if anyone has made them ? and could i bend the led up instead of it pointing down to make it look modern and if i gluded part of a plastic spoon on to the led to make a shade type thing .
I don't know if anyone has made a modern version but why not try it yourself based on your words - you can only muck one up - no great loss but then you are learning new things as you go.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.