My first attempt at a scratch build

Posted
Rating:

A local church.

Just to update

The church is a almost copy of the one the next village to mine called willsrhorpe where I uses a bit of modellers licence was with the colouring of the stone and with the entrance porch which is not located on the side of the tower but on the front I like it more on the side. I chose this church as its where I got married and has a really strange spire roof. Most spires are all one angle where as this has two.

Jim
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Jimmy.

I ordered several packs of "Wills Kits OO Building Pack Coarse Stone (SSMP200)"

-Clay

Posted
Rating:
Thats what I used your the church you'll have to let me know what you think of it.

Jim

Posted
Rating:
Just playing catch-up with this post.What a superb church,and to say its your first effort in scratchbuilding…..outstanding….in particular the paint job you've achieved on that stonework!!!
:pathead

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
[user=981]jimmy styles[/user] wrote:
 I chose this church as its where I got married …
"What's this mess all over my grandmother's dining room table?"

"I'm scratchbuilding a model for my model railway, Sweetheart - uh - of the church where we were married."

"Oh. Well, alright then."

Posted
Rating:
:mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley

How true !!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Well done,it looks fantastic.

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Thank you all the kind words. I have. Ow fitted lights including a lamp over the door and I'm painting the wedding party. I will upload a photo soon.
Jimmy

Posted
Rating:

i thought i would share some more pictures of my church and what bits i have added. as i was once told a model is never complete and how true is that.

this is a picture of the hurch spire that mine is based on

always have to model the wedding party no model church is evr complete without one. i was going to model a funerial but my wife said that was morbid.

i couldn't help myself when i decided to add a light over the doorway it just looks great when illuminated.

and finally in this shot you can see all the detail in the window i really love this when its illuminated.

hope you all like these.

Posted
Rating:
Beautiful work, Sir.

Your stained glass windows and application of lighting are especially efective. If not a funeral, perhaps a nicely grim unkempt graveyard?

Posted
Rating:
I have seen some lovely white metal tombstones that will look great once heavily weathered but I really must get on with preparing the loft for the base boards although my toddler does slow progress somewhat

Jim

Posted
Rating:
"If not a funeral, perhaps a nicely grim unkempt graveyard?"

I thought I'd cornered the market in those!

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Wow, nice church ! My missus asked for a model of a church, so I purchased the Dapol kit. The Dapol kit ain't a scratch on your model. I do like the windows, very nice. I didn't know what to do for stained glass in the kit, so I took to some clear sheet with a few permanent markers of different colours to give that stained glass look, then glued inside the model.
Your model is very, very good, well done.

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Gary it's always nice to hear kind words I'm currently working on a pub and a terrace of shops will upload soon.

I'd like to take full credit for the stained glass but it is printed by Langley models

Jim

Posted
Rating:
Just caught this thread Jim. I'm not a fan of the Wills sheets myself, much preferring card to plastic, although I have been known to use plastic sheet on ocassions. A church is not an easy subject for your first scratchbuild and as Doug has said the stonework colour looks just right. I like the stained glass, that looks very good and you've incorporated the Langley windows rather well. A minor critique if I may which comes from my building background… the window openings should have a stone cill at the bottom. Not immediately obvious but would improve it beyond the already 'good work' category 

That aside I have to say what a great job you've made for your first Scratch build. :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Thank you woody it's always good to hear ideas on how I can improve on future models thank you

Jim

Posted
Rating:
Well done great first try, it has inspired me to give it a go soon.

Jim 007

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
BRAVO!  :thumbs

Bozzy(never known to pass a pub)

Posted
Rating:
[user=2]Robert[/user] wrote:
Excellent for anyone's first attempt and should certainly encourage you to do more. I for one look forward to more of your scratchbuilds.

Woteesed, is it me or is the standard of modelling getting higher on YMR?

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=312]dooferdog[/user] wrote:
[user=2]Robert[/user] wrote:
Excellent for anyone's first attempt and should certainly encourage you to do more. I for one look forward to more of your scratchbuilds.

Woteesed, is it me or is the standard of modelling getting higher on YMR?

Doug

not on my layout.:mutley

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.