Old Pug, New Pug...

Posted
Rating:

A make over of an old CR Pug

Gary: I noticed that the locating spring for the motor had been tucked down almost out of site. Your modification? It certainly improves it visually, as do the hand rails on the saddle tank.

Ed: Interesting observation re DCC. Any details on what decoder and where  it went?

I found I have 2 of these - one recent in LMS red with a saddle tank (China), the other is the GWR No. 101 1835-1985 150th anniversary commemorative edition (Margate), certificate number 3858, £10.49 new, not many produced by the look of things. Not suitable for Zero 1. It's a limited edition according to the certificate (not to exceed 6,000, must be worth a fortune:lol:). GWR green with copper capuchon and brass dome with side tanks. Not sure I would want to convert either of them to EM gauge.

One thing that could improve these models visually are new cab sides (from styrene sheet and/or 10 though brass), as the thickness is a scale 3", as well as some panel/rivet detail on the tank. And the the newer style narrow tension hook couplers (or Kadees).

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Nigel

I don't want to hijack Gary's thread but I've stuck a Digitrax DN136D to the top of the motor.

I've put a couple of pictures in the Gallery.

Don't know about Gary's version, but mine all have the couplings molded as part of the chassis, so would be more of a job to change.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Hi Nigel & Ed,

The locating spring has had no modifications what so ever. This is just the base model I started with. As Ed has stated regarding his model, mine is much the same re couplers. I won't do anything with the couplers at the moment, but maybe at a later date. I do like the idea of the boiler rivets, perhaps Archer (http://www.archertransfers.com/) or MicroMark (http://www.micromark.com/ho-scale-decals-with-raised-3d-rivets-and-other-surface-details,9968.html).

Ed, please do not feel that you are 'highjacking'. Your replies are all very helpful to anyone wishing to upgrade their Pug. ;-)

Cheers, Gary.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.