Train Sets 3

Posted
Rating:
What is the set up for Schedule 7 Max

What should be in Block 12 and 10 at the start of the schedule?

If there is nothing in block 10 the schedule will work

If a car is in Block 10 it wont work because you havent amended the rules to allow entering an occupied block.

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:
What is the set up for Schedule 7 Max

What should be in Block 12 and 10 at the start of the schedule?
In Block 12 will be the loco and the boxcar.

If there is nothing in block 10 the schedule will work.
There is nothing in Block 10

If a car is in Block 10 it wont work because you havent amended the rules to allow entering an occupied block.
I never amend the rules to allow entering an occupied Block.  It was one that you asked me not to do.
can you see the Rules for the Schedules?

Posted
Rating:
Cracked it …….I think

I am dumb for not asking the set up earlier

If block 10 is empty a conventional stop marker activated by the contact indicator in block 10 is all you need

However you have a stop marker in block 10 specifically for schedule 7 (see conditions) that is activated by a VC which I think we are agreed will not work……and that prevents the other stop marker from working

If the VC isnt required for anything else get rid of it and the associated stop marker……just leaving the one stop marker with the CI………………the schedule should work and the loco should stop

I got your PM but got sidetracked with this (and a hockey game)…..I will reply shortly

Kind Regards

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Not so fast, Moriarity.  :lol:

A conventional Stop Marker doesn't like having to stop connected trains.  Pete suggested this solution, but I think it failed because of the boxcar.

However, in deference to your eminence, I'll give it another go.  I hope my memory has failed me.  :shock:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
OK.  Here are the results:-

With the VC deactivated and just two simple Brake/Stop Marker sets (one for Schedule 4 and one for Schedule 7), the loco runs on in Schedule 7 because of the boxcar.

With both Schedules assigned to the one Brake/Stop Marker set, the loco stops as soon as it enters the Block, again I'm assuming it's because it's a Train Set.

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
A conventional Stop Marker doesn't like having to stop connected trains.  Pete suggested this solution, but I think it failed because of the boxcar.

I dont understand what you mean by "conventional" Stop Marker?  I use stop markers activated by contact indicators that are assigned to specific schedules and they work whether with a single loco or a loco set up with cars

In fact TC treats everything as a trainset .Other than weight and length TC doesnt differentiate between a train set of a single loco or one with a loco and a number of cars.

I had a go with the simulator……if I run schedule 7 as is ie straight from your zip file with a trainset consisting of the loco and  car B in block 12…….. the schedule starts and the train enters block 10….the CI is activated but not the VC…….herefore the only stop marker available is allocated to Schedule 4……..the train runs on

I altered the Schedule 4 stop marker by adding schedule 7. Schedule 7 ran ok ….the stop marker was activared the train stopped and the schedule finished cleanly and sched 8 started.

Then I set up a new stop marker activated by the Block 10 CI using the distances in your VC stop and assigning it just to Sched 7 and again everything worked fine………..obviously I dont know where the loco would stop in real life but as far as TC is concerned the stop markers work correctly

However although Sched 8 started correctly and there were no error messages the loco just stayed in Block 10 carrying out the sched start operations and never entered Block 12……………I notice that you separate the train set in TC as an operation at the finish of Sched 7 and physically uncouple at the start of sched 8……..when I do this with the kaydee shuffle it is the other way round………maybe I will have a try later

Kind Regards

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I've printed that post off, John.  I'll sit with it this afternoon and follow it through.  Thank you. 

Edit:-  I just read the post after I printed it off.  If I add Schedule 7 to the Schedule 4 Stop Marker, it is as you said, but the loco stops as its front wheels hit Block 10 (as in the video).  This means the boxcar is not in the right place for the proposed ensuing programme.

The loco stops at the right spot in Schedule 4, but only stops just into Block 10 in Schedule 7.  I know that it looks right on the simulator, but on the layout, it's about a boxcar and a bit, short of where it's supposed to be.

My reference to conventional Stop Markers was to differentiate them from delayed Markers controlled by a VC.  I think Juergen calls them Shifted Markers in the Manual.  The Markers for Schedule 4 just use the CI.  The Markers for Schedule 7 are shifted or delayed by linking them to the VC.

This makes me think that you are on to something with your suggestion that two blocks aren't enough as the train isn't passing through the triggering block and so can't start the timer.  There are quite a few options in that Properties window for triggering the Markers.  Maybe something else might work - a Flagman, perhaps. 

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I think I know the answer.    :doublethumb

When the loco is running as a loco, the stopping distances are much shorter to stop in the same place than when running as a train.  If you look at the stopping distances in Block 4, you will se what I mean.  I was looking at them when the penny dropped.

The loco is actually obeying the Brake/Stop Markers for Schedule 7 in Block 10 BUT because it's now a train, it stops short of the place where it stopped when it visited as a loco.  It just happened that it was so much short that it appeared that the loco was stopping as it hit the start of the block.

I've increased the stopping distance by 15 cm in the Schedule 7 Markers and the Train stops in the right place.

So, John and Pete you were right.  Shifted Markers aren't necessary for that Block.  I just have to make the stopping distances much longer for Trains.  I just have to figure out why they are necessary for Block 4.

. . . and resize the images  . . . and change the descriptions of the Brake and Stop Markers.  Dr Railroad will be pleased.  :lol:

Mindue, the engine has begun switching off properly in Schedule 8.  I have no idea why.  :shock:

Posted
Rating:
I think you may be on to something and I should have thought of it sooner 

All your stop markers are head of train I believe

I wonder if TC assumes the loco is always head of train?

Therefore if you have a schedule where you back a train set into a block I wonder if the stop marler measurement condition should be tail of train?

That way it wouldnt matter if the trainset you backed in was 1,2 or 3 cars the measurement for the stop distance would start when the first (ie tail) car entered the block

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I have noticed that when the train runs back across the layout, the graphic of the loco faces the other way.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.