Tutorial Speed Profiling

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

I need help with CV editing please

John, when you use a Speed Table, CV 6 is deselected (as are CV 2 and CV 5).  ECos does it automatically, but the control for 3 x CV speed profiling and Speed Table is in CV 29 > Bit 4 = 16 so the Speed Table consists of CV 67 - 94 instead.

I found that the Speed Table didn't work well with TC and went back to the 3 x CV option.

I hope that makes sense.  :pedal
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
On some of my loco's I have a top speed of 90kmph - to accommodate this I've had to adjust my set up and I now have  the two run in-outs at 95cm in length, although the locos are stopping at about 75cm. The centre section is 104cm in length.

I've been following the recent posts with interest - I have been setting the CV's as instructed and then setting up the speed profile using DecoderPro before I start the speed profiling. Now I'm not sure if I should be doing this - the loco seems to run Ok when controlled by the computer but I've noticed the results in the speed profiling window graphs look different from those in John's tutorial and in the manual.  Whoops and I have just noticed that I'm not using the same measurement method as in the tutorial -  I will redo and see what results I get.:oops:

Last edit: by gdaysydney

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software

Posted
Rating:
Dave your measurement method looks ok, automatic measurement with occupancy sensors which it the one we all use unless you don't have sensors?

Don't forget to set the contact range, i measure from the buffer to the point where the first pick up wheel comes in to contact with the track.

As for different graphs they will vary between loco and loco and dependent on your cv settings. the aim is to get all the speed steps dots below your max speed line to keep Dr Railroad quiet. Sorry i haven't got an example to hand i am in the middle of rebuilding.

Last edit: by wogga

Regards
Pete.

ECOS2 with RR&Co Traincontroller and a load of other electronics so i can sit back and watch the trains go by.

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
John, when you use a Speed Table, CV 6 is deselected (as are CV 2 and CV 5).  ECos does it automatically, but the control for 3 x CV speed profiling and Speed Table is in CV 29 > Bit 4 = 16 so the Speed Table consists of CV 67 - 94 instead.

I found that the Speed Table didn't work well with TC and went back to the 3 x CV option.

I hope that makes sense.  :pedal

I could do with a bit more help Max………………this is what I currently do before I start Speed Profiling

I adjust CV2 to get the slowest crawl speed…………….then I do a single speed test with TC at the max speed set up for the loco and I adjust CV5 until I get there

When I alter CV2 or 5 I adjust CV6 to be somewhere in the middle

Once crawl speed and max speed are sorted I speed profile and once complete never touch the CVs again

What should I be doing?

As you know the DCC system is Lenz…………..The chips are either Lenz or TCS

ps Off topic do you know when DCC concepts will release their new loco decoders.

Kind Regards

pps I now know you will answer this when I have my afternoon tea:lol: 

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:
I could do with a bit more help Max………………this is what I currently do before I start Speed Profiling

I adjust CV2 to get the slowest crawl speed…………….then I do a single speed test with TC at the max speed set up for the loco and I adjust CV5 until I get there

When I alter CV2 or 5 I adjust CV6 to be somewhere in the middle

Once crawl speed and max speed are sorted I speed profile and once complete never touch the CVs again

What should I be doing?

As you know the DCC system is Lenz…………..The chips are either Lenz or TCS

ps Off topic do you know when DCC concepts will release their new loco decoders.

Kind Regards

pps I now know you will answer this when I have my afternoon tea:lol: 

What you're doing is what I did to the loco I use on my TC layout, John.  CVs 2 5 and 6.  That's why I suggested that Dave's approach using a speed table, may not be helping.  I also set mine up so that there are no grey dots above the red line.

I hope that explains it better.

I haven't heard when Richard is releasing his decoders.  Perhaps a PM to Sol?  He knows him better than I do.

Cheers

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Bromsgrove Models normally stocks DCCconcepts decoders but out of stock. I do not know who else supplies in the UK.
All I can suggest is that a direct e-mail to DCCconcepts  on sales@dcccconcepts.com
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Max/Ron

Bromsgrove will not supply North America……I will emaill DCC Concepts

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Hi John ,

I emailed Richard a few days ago asking about the new DCC Loco decoders - so far no response

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
Dave, give him a ring   08 94372471 but not on Tuesdays

When are we open?

We try to make it easy for you, so we open at times that suit Modellers best!

Mon, Wed, Thur. Fri:     10am to 5pm

Saturday and Sunday:  12pm to 5pm
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Sol - will do

Dave
Notmutley

Posted
Rating:
[user=434]John Dew[/user] wrote:
Thanks Max/Ron

Bromsgrove will not supply North America……I will emaill DCC Concepts

John

Just received a rely from Richard in response to my question as to when the new decoders would be available-
"Right now Dave - I am just waiting for added stock before releasing online.  Regards  Richard"
:doublethumb

Dave
Notmutley

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Dave

I got a very helpful reply from Richard……it looks as though they will be available shortly

Regards

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Mr Naive here, what's the attraction with DCC Concepts loco decoders then?

What am i missing when they are released?

Regards
Pete.

ECOS2 with RR&Co Traincontroller and a load of other electronics so i can sit back and watch the trains go by.

Posted
Rating:
[user=450]wogga[/user] wrote:
Mr Naive here, what's the attraction with DCC Concepts loco decoders then?

What am i missing when they are released?
The main interest for me is the "stay alive feature" 

Here is a post from another Forum (written in January) - a limited supply of the decoders where available from Bromsgrove Modles in the UK and by all accounts were well received.

1. Reference the "stay alive" feature…..

It's a facility provided to allow short wheelbase locos, with relatively few pick-up contacts, to overcome momentary losses of power when passing over gaps or bits of dirt on the track.
It uses a capacitor of sorts and some "managing" electronics to supply power to the decoder for the split second or so when track power is broken or interrupted.
The idea is to prevent stuttering or stalling as the loco passes over such a place (e.g. pointwork).

Most useful on 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 locos and it can be very effective.

2. Posted by Richard himself, so I hope he doesn't mind me reposting it here…..

*** Hi all

A quick bit of feedback on the decoders.

All this is a wee bit premature in a way as I hadn't actually intended to add them to the web until my return from an OS trip early in Feb ( I am visiting UK and EU). I am very sorry that full instructions will have to wait until then too… CV structure isn't different but we are doing instructions a bit differently as we try to with many of our products - really wanting to demistify the act of setting decoders up for use properly for the average modeller.

(1) They are from the ground up our own product. They are not assembled by any other decoder Mfr either. (Yes, as mentioned it is an expensive exercise and at the moment its just the "beginning of the end" end of a more than 2 year investment in time and money.)
(2) We set out to create a good solid product, not to break new ground software wise. They have very good back EMF that can be controlled interactively but does not need adjusting loco by loco. They have exceptionally nice slow speed control and easy direct connection for an affordable stay alive device that is at a VERY low price when bought at the same time as the decoder.
(3) The stay alive has two primary effects: It aids slow running and greatly smooths super slow speed running as the decoder is no longer susceptible to frequent momentary power losses as always happens with very slow speed, even in bigger locos. It is NOT designed to make the loco run over large non conductive areas. It can also be parallelled to increase its effectiveness if wanted (to keep it small, we limited its storage ability)
(4) Price is to say the least very competitive. Not as low as train set brands though.
(5) They are available in two sizes, one relatively conventional and one quite small. Both have removeable harnesses. All harnesses have UK orientation on the 8 pin plugs. Both sizes cope with more than 1 amp comfortably.
(6) They are to be available in 2 and 4 function. They are easily used in multiple (even with the same number using decoder lock) and as they are actually no dearer than most "function only " decoders having 6 or 8 functions if you want isn't going to be a problem :-)
(7) They DO have exceptional function control - lots of neat effects that we are doing our best with instructions to make a really easy thing to use.
(8) We will expand the range progressively, but we are not intending to be all things to all people. The range will take its time to grow as I beta test everything for months at each stage.
(9) Yes some modellers do need lots of function - I doo too sometimes, but see (6) above. Anyway… there is no shortage of 6-function decoders but there IS a shortage of decoders with an easily adopted stay alive :-) :-)
(10) Warranty will be good as always but not quite totally responsibility-free goof proof either.

Visitors to my offices have been seeing them in action on my test track for over a year now as we finally tweaked things. We are very happy that they are nice decoders with really good performance (45 minutes for 3.5 metres isn't too bad as slow running :-) )

So far we have 3 models to hand one of them in limited numbers (full productiondelivery only exists for 2 models) with the third only available in limited qtys until later in Feb.. Full initial range of 4 models will not be available until then either…
<ore models will follow later in 2011. We will be shipping to a wider retailer base ASAP, but I really want to introduce them face to face to most dealers, so look for that late Feb

Please be patient, all will be revealed in due course.

regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

I will be calling Richard to place an order today (midday Sydney time) -

Dave
Notmutley

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I think Lenz has had one of these out for several years, now.  Lenz Gold?

Posted
Rating:
Dave got it in one Pete…………….its the "stay alive" feature……….combined with the price

I think Lenz has had one of these out for several years, now.  Lenz Gold?
The Lenz powerpack is an add on to Lenz Gold but very expensive…….. Decoder and power pack is $100 US (or $95 CDN……I loved writing that:thumbs……..5 years ago it would have been $120 CDN)

The powerpack is quite bulky…………..I splurged on one for a Dean Goods (see Perry's thread) and I have to say it does everything it says it will do……………..run it on to track without power or even run it off the track and its like that battery add……..just keeps on going and going

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I don't remember Ian buying any power packs for his.  I'll check back with him and let you know, John.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Well, there you go, John.  He didn't mention power packs at the time.  :shock:  He's just confessed.  :lol:

It makes them very expensive, deosn't it?

Posted
Rating:
Well, there you go, John.  He didn't mention power packs at the time.  :shock:  He's just confessed.  :lol:

It makes them very expensive, deosn't it?
A two function DCC decoder with stay alive is approx  A$24 -

Dave
Notmutley

Posted
Rating:
Apology for hijacking the forum - my next post will be about speed profiling :oops:

Dave
Notmutley
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.