Comments On Winston's Travels In The UK.

Posted
Rating:
Recieved Winston today and so photo shoot and then i shall send it on its way tomorrow. Will post pics later on Saturday.

Phill
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Well after a hard and long journey from Jim S-W New Street layout I received Winston on my PJ & SJ'S layout and boy is she cute, so I had the team pull out a Class 0-4-0ST Queen Elizabeth II to pull her into the maintenance shed, which is new to the network but not quite finished, here she was washed, touched up with some paint where the stone chips from the track had chipped her and a general check all round to make sure she was ready to go to Wallreg.

Here are a few shots of her being looked over. Some O.A.P'S came along for the send off, no idea why, just being bloody nosy and also for the free spread laid on after?.

The team getting her ready for the off,

Ok just had news that she is ready, so about  09:30am she will depart PJ&SJ's railway and make her way to the main line to head up to Wallreg's railway.

This is her on the way to the main line,

Nice and clean and should be at Wallreg's railway sometime Monday or Tuesday. Been a pleasure having her on my railway, thanks for the honour guys, :cheers.

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I don't want to sound pedantic here but I'm recording this as we go in pdf files for forum distribution so I want it to be correct. I can alter spelling mistakes on here OK but I have to be sure that what I am altering is a mistake. I presume, for example that the above 0-4-0ST above is Queen Elizabeth II and not Queen Elizabeth 11 (eleventh) but I could be wrong as the picture isn't quite clear enough for me to make out..

Another point is how Winston is referred to. Is it a he or a she. Matilda is obviously a she but Winston is also being referred to as a she at the moment.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
To my eyes Bob the loco is clearly Queen Elizabeth II (the second, not eleven).  I would also advance the theory that Winston might be referred to in the female gender just as a ship, aircraft or very often a locomotive is referred to in the female gender whatever name might be applied to it.

Thus the good ship TS Malcolm Miller was always "she", and the locomotive named Sir Archibald Sinclair was described by the crew as "She's a good 'un".
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Its II, SECOND Bob. Bloody comp is playing up, :roll:

Phill

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
OK chaps that's that cleared up. A she Winston is and it's Queen Elizabeth II. Great.

Posted
Rating:
Sorry - I'm late again !!

Great photos Phill - thanks and Wallreg is expecting him / her !!

Great that you're recording it all Bob - it will make a very interesting dossier wqhen it's all complete.  I'll start a mileage record just as soon as I have a moment. :thumbs

With regard to gender - I usually refer to "Winston" as "he" but I suppose a "wagon" would be "she" - like a car or, as Rick said, a ship.

To avoid any future confusion, I'll now refer to both Winston and Matilda as "she". :cheers:cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Updated on the show website…

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/page/52/KMRE_Wandering_Wagon

Presumably we will get a view from Jim any time as well?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
And very nice too Chris, there's a fair bit of publicity there for us.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Very good Chris

Just remind me never to have my photo taken by one of you lot, it will be on Chris's site before the flash has finished :It's a no no
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Here's Jim's shot Chris: -  post#62 in this thread.

A spot of posing outside New Street's signal box

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I am obviously losing the plot because I have seen that picture before as well!  Now on show site along with Matilda update.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
The current mileage for Winston is:

126 miles (203 km)

Well done everyone.  :thumbs:thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I mentioned something earlier in Matildas thread but worth saying again. It just go's to show what a Forum we have, everyone willing to accept this project and take the time to receive it, photo it and then send it on, marvelous. Mindue one member is getting on now and cant recall seeing a pic with Winston on the first layout, never mind we let him off for now, but we pounce if he do it again :thumbs:mutley
Just a thought how are the GWR guys going to cope, i mean they a different gauge to us proper modelers, :mutley

Phill

Last edit: by phill

Posted
Rating:
[user=9]phill[/user] wrote:
I mentioned something earlier in Matildas thread but worth saying again. It just go's to show what a Forum we have, everyone willing to accept this project and take the time to receive it, photo it and then send it on, marvelous. Mindue one member is getting on now and cant recall seeing a pic with Winston on the first layout, never mind we let him off for now, but we pounce if he do it again :thumbs:mutley
Just a thought how are the GWR guys going to cope, i mean they a different gauge to us proper modelers, :mutley

Phill

As this is such a prestigious project we'll get the engineering team in and narrow our gauge just so that it can run. You never know it might catch on :roll:

Posted
Rating:
Nick,
Speak for yourself….I need to broaden my gauge!!!:roll:
:mutley:mutley:mutley

Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Last edit: by georgejacksongenius

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
The current mileage for Winston is:

126 miles (203 km)

Well done everyone.  :thumbs:thumbs

Glad to see you put it in miles as well as km .

I just cannot get on with km at all  - it means nothing to me :roll:

Richard. A sorely missed member who lost a brave battle in 2012.

Posted
Rating:
It's just over 1/2 mile Richard :mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley

From now on, I'll show distances for both Winston and Matilda in miles (UK) and kms.  Miles for the "oldies" and kms for those of us more "with it" !! :lol::lol::lol:

It's only the States and UK who work in miles (I think) and the US mile is different to that of the UK (as is their gallon) - most confusing !!!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
…It's only the States and UK who work in miles (I think) and the US mile is different to that of the UK (as is their gallon) - most confusing !!!!
According to Wikiwassaname the difference between an international standard mile and a US and UK miles is something like 1/8".  Shouldn't cause too many problems.

Cheers
Dave
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I said they were different Dave. :cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:mutley:mutley:mutley

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.