Level Crossing Gates

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

Level Crossing Gates

Excellent shots, Chris.  Great modelling!  The stuff is called tulle and comes in various grades.  It is available in cotton and plastic.  Great stuff to work with.  I made a long chain mesh fence out of it.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Hows about  nylon mosquito netting .I used it on the club crossing gates ,also ok for security fencing with the ratio posts ,(with the angled top section) for barbed wire i used  5 amp fusewire and for the barbs ran some self adhesive siver glitter along  the wire at the top three strands.

reg

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Mozzie netting sounds good, Reg.  Did you get a picture of the gate and fence?

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
 Max sadly the club disbanded (the school where we met changed use) So the club layouts were  sold off.I still have the gates ,and will look for them in the morning.May even do a sample stretch of fence it doesn't take long.

reg

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That'll be great, Reg.  You can't have too many fences, you know . . .  ;-)

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Great pictures Chris. THankyou for including them. Seeing is believing.

Craig SR

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Ok Max. where do you get 'tulle' from??

Craig SR

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Craig.  There's a fabrics shop at the top of Port Road near the old Hindmarsh Police Station (North side of the road).

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Wendy says it's called DK fabrics.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
thanks

Craig SR

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Lesley bought me some tulle yesterday :lol:
 Fence building commences soon.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I have a siding which crosses a road at an acute angle. I have been trying to find pictures to see if this ever occured in the prototype - I am sure it must have done somewhere?

Assuming it did(does) can anyone tell me how the gates should be aligned? I think they should probably be straight across the road, and then swing back through more than 90 degrees to sit across the track when the road is open. If this is correct, I imagine that I need to try to model it with single gates, as I cannot work out how to do this with double gates each side?

Any help, much appreciated.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Many private  or industrial sidings would not have had crossing gates at all where they crossed a road and would have just relied on a flagman.

Richard. A sorely missed member who lost a brave battle in 2012.

Posted
Rating:
[user=320]CraigSR[/user] wrote:
Ok Max. where do you get 'tulle' from??

From Jethro………..O.K., I'll get m'coat…..

[anyone remember the 'Heavy Horses' L.P.?]

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Geoff

Every situation would be in some way unique and some sidings (usually where there was minimal rail traffic crossing a fairly quiet road) would indeed be ungated and controlled as required by a "flag".

There is nothing wrong with a gated crossing on such a line.  It might be used where either rail or road traffic, or sometimes both, were considered to be of sufficient density as to warrant that degree of protection.

The gates would need to be presented to road users at or close to a right-angle so that the compulsory warning disc and lamp could be clearly seen.  That meant in many cases the rail track crossing at an angle.

The gates must fully close across the roadway and normally are arranged to do so over a railway as well.  In cases where the road is wider than the railway then gates can be closed over the track doubled up.  The reverse can be true for a railway - perhaps of multiple tracks - crossing a narrow road with the proviso that which ever gate was nearer to the waiting road traffic when closed that must be the one to carry the red warning disc.  The lamp could in theory have been on either gate.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
It's pronuonced, "Tool."      'Nuff sed?  :mutley

Posted
Rating:
Interesting to read about the crossing regs.

As an Englishman living as a guest in Wales for many years, I'm aware that, virtually every year here there are Crossing tragedies.
I'm not surprised.
On the west coast there are many, presumably 'private', crossings on rural lanes protected by nothing more than ordinary farm gates, sometimes with a crude notice saying 'Please shut gates'.

One I particularly remember because the crossing was immediately after a bend in the track.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the info, Rick. I will see what I can come up with.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Geoff,sorry a bit late but am very busy just now,

i have acrossing at an angle on my layout,not acute but it will show the setup,

the gates are set to the track across the road,if double gates just make sure they

meet in the middle of the road,then set the posts to the angle of the road,

h t h .

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
might give you some idea`s.

Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.