Dapol D class loco

Posted
Rating:
#290234 (In Topic #21882)
A lovely looking loco it is. It ran very nicely until for no apparent reason it began stopping and/or stuttering. Checked for clean wheels, pick ups and track. No difference. Then I found that if I waggled it around a bit it'd start again, until it stuttered or stopped. I sent off to DCC Supplies for both parts of the electric couplings. When they arrived, I changed them over and started by checking on the programming track and changing the address a couple of times. All OK.
I ran it forwards which was all right then I ran it in reverse… and pfft one MX658N18 decoder up in smoke. When the steam stopped coming out of my ears I stripped it right down and removed all of the Dapol wiring except the couplings which I'd all ready checked.

As there was no original wiring in there ecept for the couplings I used a Zimo MX631 that I had spare and hard wired it. I also put a Lais stay alive in with the decoder, both wrapped in Kapton tape. I won't bother getting the 18pin decoder fixed as I have no need for anymore. When I've saved up I'll get a Zimo MS500 and hopefully this tale of woe will be behind me.

This is the second time that I've had trouble with Dapols wiring. I think I might steer clear of them in future if I buy any more loco's.

Cheers Pete.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I don't have any Dapol locos Pete but your tale of woe will make me think hard if I'm ever tempted.

I do have enough locos to last me out but one never knows what the future holds in that "Hmm, I need another loco like I need a hole in the head but that one does look nice …………..and it fits my era/livery/type " !!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
You've said it all, Peter. Never say die?

Cheers Pete.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.