A Village General Shop after John Ahern.

Posted
Rating:

Another Ahern classic in card.

Thank you Max and Peter.  They do look rather large but I am actually working to a drawing by John Ahern and they are spot on.  Peter is quite right, the gutters will cover them to some extent. I forgot to mention that during the process of gluing the squares of card in place, I pushed a steel rule against the bottom edge of the squares to ensure they all lined up.
Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Looking good Terry.

There must be a technical term for those blocks, but whilst I don't know what it is, I do know that they're a pain to do in 2 mill.

Regards,

David V

Posted
Rating:
Thanks David.
The gutters were glued on today (Evergreen No.242 half-round strip styrene). As you can see, they reduce the amount of fancy brick on view below the eaves…

Down pipes going on next.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Now that does look better Terry - very impressive.   :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
She’s a beauty Terry.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Peter and Marty.
The downpipes are made by my usual method - Evergreen No.221, 3/64" rod.  Always willing to try something new, I decided to make the small brackets, which hold the downpipes to the wall, from the same self-adhesive labels used in making the windows.   Part of the label was coloured black with a felt-tipped pen and a narrow strip cut off.  A 5mm long portion of the strip was cut off for each bracket and carefully laid in place and firmed down with tweezers.

I need to touch up the ends of the gutters with black acrylic and then on to the flashing around the chimneys.
Terry

Posted
Rating:

Subtle weathering was applied to the roof using watercolour paints.  I had previously sprayed the roof tiles with Testors Dullcote matt varnish before fitting to the roof.  This meant I was able to apply watercolour paint without fear of the ink running.  The tops of the chimneys were added using the strip of card covered in stucco paper, as used for the decorative brickwork under the eaves.  The flashing around the chimneys was added using Scalescenes TX00b Roof Flashing.
Chimney pots next and then the shopkeeper's name and some advertising signs to finish off.
More soon.
Terry

Posted
Rating:

Today I put the finishing touches to the model.  Rectangles of card were glued to the chimney tops to represent the mortar into which the chimney pots are set, these being commercial white metal items which are widely available.  Using watercolour paints I applied some more subtle weathering, such as rainwater streaks running down from the window sills. Advertising signs are from the excellent Sankey Scenics range.  Lastly, the shopkeeper's name was produced on my computer.  I have used the same name as per the John Ahern drawing.
Without further ado, here is the finished model…

Thanks for your interest and support during this build.

finis

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
VBG Terry  :thumbs

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Lovely.

Posted
Rating:
Hello,
Its been a well documented build and a pleasure to watch. Thank you
Stephen

Last edit: by GreenBR

Acording to a recent visit to a supermarket at check out time, I an not loosing my memory it has been downgraded which means i am not stupid afterall - Sorted! - What a relief

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Simply excellent  Terry  :thumbs
Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Thank you all.  Very kind of you.
What to do next I wonder?
Time to peruse Mr. Ahern's book again.
Best wishes,
Terry

Posted
Rating:

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
A really lovely piece of work Terry :doublethumb

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member

Very atmospheric indeed, Terry.

A superb top-notch job and John Ahearn would have been very proud of you I'm sure.

Looking foreward to your next step-by-step  build if only to nick some of you're techniques !

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
Thank you one and all.  Allan, I'm sure you have got nothing to learn from me.  I must pay tribute to John Wiffen at Scalescenes.  Without the introduction of his kits I would never have taken up modelling buildings in card.  I was a committed plastikard and noxious solvent modeller.  However, I have discovered the joy of working in card.  It's cheap, clean, easy to work and feels natural.  There is the added benefit that the adhesives used do not give off toxic fumes.  I would also like to pay tribute to Doug (Chubber) who has freely shared his knowledge and from whom I have learned so much about working in this medium.
I was reflecting on the cost of this current build.  A whole sheet of mounting board, enough to make several buildings, costs about £2.50 or thereabouts.  The window glazing was free, being clear plastic packaging  salvaged from the recycling bin.   A pack of self-adhesive labels for the window glazing bars cost 99p for 50.  I used a couple.  I used part of two sheets of Scalscenes' paper - red brick and stucco, both at £1.99p each, print and use until you shuffle of this mortal coil, to quote Hamlet.  The cast chimney pots cost £2.00 but you could fabricate them yourself from rolled-up paper or use plastic tube.  The guttering and downpipes utilised two different types of Evergreen styrene strip, the cost of which is now getting on for almost £5 a pack, but again you get enough for several buildings.  I have used Artist's watercolour paints to add weathering, but I also use them for painting pictures.  You could use a cheap set of Chinese watercolour paints from your local £1 Emporium or even 'borrow' a cheap paintbox from your children or grandchildren, as the case may be.  
So, taking everything into account, I would estimate the cost of this build in terms of materials actually used, to be about less than £4.00  When I compare that to the cost of the current card kits, I think it's quite cheap.  You also get a building which is not going to be replicated on most other layouts.  Unless of course, in the case of this current build, there is a sudden rush to copy all of John Ahern's buildings! 
Regards to all,
Terry

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.