Kent Coast Railway (formerly Faversham Creek)

Posted
Rating:

OO Gauge, end to end, Museum line, Broadly based on the Kent Coast line

[user=1512]Headmaster[/user] wrote:
I am having a bit of trouble with my ballast (!)  In the dioramas I made, I used grey ballast, but from my youth I remember ballast being a light brown and cream stone in our neck of the woods - although it is all grey nowadays.  I have tried a variety of greys with mixed effects;  Some turned green when PVA was applied…. "OO gauge" ballast looked more like boulders and didn't really sit well, so I ended up using a much finer variety which I think worked better…..
So, I bought some fine brown ballast, trying to get a light brown, rather than dark, but it has a sparkle to it which will need to be toned down a lot if I am to use it.  I did a test piece, but I ended up making it look….grey!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Regards
Michael
Hi Michael.

Use N gauge ballast.
Woodland Scenics ballast doesn't turn green when in contact with pva.
Spraying the ballast with Acrylic Matt Varnish should kill the sparkle.

Tony.

"The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"
Regards.
Tony.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Tony - Do you happen to know if they do a light brown ballast?  Computers don't always give an accurate representation of colours.
Cheers
Michael

Posted
Rating:
[user=1512]Headmaster[/user] wrote:
Thanks Tony - Do you happen to know if they do a light brown ballast?  Computers don't always give an accurate representation of colours.
Cheers
 Michael

Hi Michael.

Try this video.
https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/video/Ballast

Here's a link to the colours available.
https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/BallastAndCoal

Tony.

Last edit: by amdaley

"The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"
Regards.
Tony.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Tony

Maybe a mix of the browns and buff will hit the mark. I'll give it a try

Michael

Posted
Rating:
Started painting track….

Posted
Rating:
While England enjoys some unusually hot weather, it has been a bit too warm to work in the loft, even with cooling fans, so I have been busy painting track downstairs and working on a prototype for The Abbot's Hotel.  I have been experimenting with different materials to make guttering, and after quite a bit of trial and error, have come up with this……

It started life as a bamboo skewer, but with a bit of work is now quite a passable length of guttering! It's pretty good for scale too, being about 2mm across.

Regards

Michael

Posted
Rating:
That is a novel idea. Looks very good too.

Gary

I am no expert but I do what I can, when I can, with what I can.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I found fine granite chippings went green after applying watered down pva  I changed to green scene (ithink crushed coconut shell) and found that to be OK

reg

Posted
Rating:
How on earth did you rebate the channel in the bamboo skewer!? Dremel cutting disc? It looks a very good gutter.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Yes Marty…. I started with a Dremel cutter and finished it with a small round file.  I'm pleased with the finished guttering, although there are few that didn't work so well!

Michael

Posted
Rating:
Nice work!

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Well it has been a while since I updated, but work has been progressing steadily.  Quite a bit of track is laid and I've done some temporary wiring to make sure that everything is OK before I start ballasting.  I've fitted 7 cobalt ip digital point motors and got them all working.  They really are a breeze and work wonderfully.  I've also been working on the scenic area at the rear of the layout which is tricky to reach…… all necessary jobs but not particularly exciting to show people!

Maybe some pictures to follow though

Michael

Posted
Rating:

I've used a tracksetta for the first time that is great for straights. 

Last edit: by Headmaster

Posted
Rating:

And I've also used a gauge for track spacing for the first time.   Again, so useful and great for consistency

Posted
Rating:

The next section of the backscene completed.  The sky doesn't change colour like that…. just my photography skills!

Posted
Rating:

I've also decided to go with DCC Concepts levers for my points control.  They work just fine as momentary switches, but will probably link them through the required encoder to make everything digital and reduce the wiring.   They are lovely!!

Posted
Rating:

The final corner at the rear of the unit is prepared and drying, ready for a coloured basecoat and some scenic.  I hope some animated rabbits might appear here!!   (See my question about using old solenoid points motors!!).  I intend to have some of the abbey ruins on this section and a matching backscene.  In keeping with my theme, this section is inspired by the novel, Love Among the Ruins….. 

Posted
Rating:
So I am still working on the end of the layout and the scenic while I await the arrival of some track to finish off this part the goods yard.

I thought I might put some Abbey ruins in this corner, so have taken some old linka bits I have lying around

And I've added some clay which I used to fashion some of the stone filler

Posted
Rating:

Then added a bit of colour…..

Posted
Rating:

I've started to prepare the final scenic section at the rear of the layout, and the first of the ruins is planted.  Some more to be added, some footpaths, trees, bushes and the odd climbing plant to break things up.  Maybe some figures…… and some rabbits!  This fits into the corner and the colour match with the back scene is quite good.

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.