Rob P's Rolling Stock Workbench

Posted
Rating:
Another one rolled off the bench today, just for those who thought that I had forsaken the Cameo.

The tar tank now has all it's underpinnings and just needs weathering to complete.

I am particularly pleased with how this one turned out because it was really just an experiment that wasn't meant to go further than seeing if I could make the riveted tank. Which in turn was a trial for creating cracked tar spillage….

Regards Rob
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That's lovely, Rob.

I'm interested as to how they kept the tar as a liquid back in the day.  Today in Oz, we have LPG burners on our tar trucks.

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
That's lovely, Rob.

I'm interested as to how they kept the tar as a liquid back in the day.  Today in Oz, we have LPG burners on our tar trucks.
Funny you should say that,  there has been quite a discussion about it on RMweb and although I haven't read the many arguments in depth I think that the conclusions were that coal tar was a lot more liquid than the tar that we have today.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Think it's coal tar.

http://mike.da2c.org/igg/rail/12-linind/tardis.htm

Scroll down near the end, Butler's tar tank.

Ed

Last edit: by Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Interesting.

Does coal tar have the same uses as what ever we have today?

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Dunno Max, just remember seeing that type of wagon on the 'Goods & Not So Goods' site.

We don't mine much coal and haven't used coal gas since North Sea  gas was introduced in the 1960s, so I assume a lot of things that were made as a bi-product are now petroleum based, soap maybe.

Someone on here must know a bit about it.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
For anyone who is interested, I will be doing an InkScape/Silhouette Cutter demo at the Stainmore Railway Model railway exhibition on the 24/25th of June at Kirkby Stephen East Railway station. A bonus is that admission is free too.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
In between building the Kirk coaches I have also been assembling the other exNBR bogie CCT. This one will be finished in LNER livery for my own stock.

In NBR and LNER days the side panels were all half beaded this has been added using 0.8mm half round Plastruct strip.

Although I will be making the sole bars from plastruct strip they are too long to make it out of one length so it will need to be joined. 

In order that this isn't visible on the finished model I plan to draw up and cut some 10 thou overlays. Which I plan to rivet in the same manner as the tar tank. This is in the hope that it will save me from drilling, cutting and inserting the many stubs of rod that would otherwise make up the multitude of bolt/rivet heads visible on the sole bars.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Rob, you could use the Archer rivet/bolt transfers.  These have resin blobs on transfer film and look very good.

Archer Surface Details

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Thanks John,
I must have a bit of a blind spot where Archers transfers are concerned because despite having been aware of them for a good number of years I have never even thought of giving them a try

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Hi Rob,

Decal rivets - highly recommended.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi All,

Just a reminder to anyone in the vicinity that I will be demoing Inkscape and Silhouette Cutting at the Stainmore Railway in Kirkby Stephen this coming weekend and I look forward to seeing and having a natter with any one who pays a visit.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
Well I am back from a successful weekend demoing the Silhouette cutter. 
It was well received with lot's of interest from both people who have a machine but have done very little with it and  those that have never seen or heard of them.

It must have been seen as a success because I have been asked to do another demo next year on Loco building.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
A short while ago I thought that I had posted photo's of a Model T tanker truck that I picked up for a pound but I can't find it now. 

In between other modelling projects I have resprayed it into LNER blue and added some transfers and a light waft of weathering.

I just need to glaze it now.

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
A charming model Rob, well done.   :cheers

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That's very nice, Rob. 

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Gents,
One of my better investments I think. :thumbs

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
In between refitting seats to the Gresley all 3rd I glazed and weathered a couple  of my £1 bargain buys.

]

]

second 'umpteenth' hand vehicle that had been hand painted with ex military khaki and subsequently neglected.]

]

]

]

]

Regards Rob

Posted
Rating:
A while ago you may recall my building of a couple of LMS vans, an LNER 12 ton van and an ex NBR coke wagon? Well I finally made a start on weathering them. There is still work to do but I am pleased with where 3 sessions with the airbrush have got me to so far.

]

]

]

]

]

]

]

]

]

Regards Rob
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.