Scratch building

Posted
Rating:

Cut and Shut?

Kevin, there's a chap doing something similar to what you want to do:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93277-hornby-lswr-m7-245/page-4

Worth following I think.

John

John

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi John.  Thank you, my local library does have some railway books, but, I don't think they go so far? but I will pop in and have a look.
Going back to the O gauge idea, on YMR Colonel Stephens has a thread and layout?  called Halstead, very interesting for a small set up.
all the best. Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Glad to hear you're in contact with the Southern group. If you are trying to get the book by Ernest Carter it's readily available (Amazon, eBay, £££). I used to have a copy with the color "chips" in (they wouldn't pass muster today). I think John (Brossard) has it now. Railway Liveries 1923-1947 by Brian Haresnape is also another useful source.

Try and get a copy of Carriage Modeling Made Easy    (ISBN  1 874103 32 1) by David Jenkinson.

Those Triang/Hornby shorty clerestories bear no resemblance to any prototype, they were generic and just done in various liveries, one model fits all. They are cheap though, and good donors for brass sides to be stuck on. You won't feel any guilt about cutting and shutting them. The Stannier kits from Dapol are cheap enough for hacking and bashing.

For me it would be a toss-up between the Worsley Works range and Roxey Mouldings. Plus the Kernow pull-pushes.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi John. Thank you, my local library does have some railway books, but, I don't think they go so far? but I will pop in and have a look.
Going back to the O gauge idea, on YMR Colonel Stephens has a thread and layout? called Halstead, very interesting for a small set up.
all the best. Kevin

Kevin, I do remember that Terry had an O gauge layout a few years ago.  I recall being mightily impressed.

Nigel, I do have a copy of Carter.  The paint chips in the back are useful to have.

I also have a copy of Carriage Modelling….  Another useful book to have although I doubt I'll ever do anything like that.

It's a good idea to buy books like these when they come out or when you see them, regardless of whether you think you'll use them.  They get sold out quickly and almost never get reprinted.  Wild Swan books are really excellent.

One set of books I'm particularly fond of is "Locomotives" by A.M. Bell.  A 2 volume set - mine is the 6th edition from 1948.  Lots of lovely schematics of locomotive parts and a detailed description of how they worked.  Diesels only get one chapter.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Kevin, another thread that might give you some ideas.  Some of the posts are pretty pedantic.

Using RTR models to represent the LSWR - Pre-Grouping - Modelling & Prototype - RMweb

John

John

Posted
Rating:
John.   I have had a quick look at that thread, I will read more later, the interesting part or me is the various liveries for the Hornby M7, which has been criticised by the "Rivet Counters". As I don't know one livery from my elbow, I must be careful if I do make a kit or cut and shut a pre owned carriage. In the meantime I am building a Ratio plastic kitall the best. Kevin,

Staying on the thread Kevin.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.