A Small Country Station.

Posted
Rating:
#219961 (In Topic #11985)

As envisaged by John Ahern.

For a drawing of this delightful building, turn to page 146 of your copy of Miniature Building Construction by John H. Ahern.  If you haven't got a copy, you really need to beg, steal or borrow this book.  No serious builder of card buildings should be without it.

The techniques used will follow those used in my recent thread 'a timber-framed cottage', so I will assume some knowledge on the part of the reader and may well gloss over some details if they were already described in the previous thread.

The building consists of three parts, a brick built Station Master's house, wooden offices and waiting rooms and finally, a wooden lamp room and lavatory.  Just to give you an idea, here is a card mock-up which I made some months ago…

I decided to start with the Station Master's house, this being the tallest part of the structure.

Parts were cut from 1.5mm mountboard with chimneys being made by laminating together a number of pieces of card, soaking the edges in superglue and sanding smooth when dry…

The upper edges of the door and windows were coloured with a Pro-marker, 'Sunkissed Pink' to be precise.  This is a good representation of the red brick which will be used for the walls…

For the walls I chose Scalescenes TX01 Red Brick, which was first given a light spray of Testors Dullcote matt varnish to render it waterproof.  The brick paper was glued to the card using Pritt which I find gives a more permanent bond than most of the cheaper versions of glue stick.  You can see here that construction follows the Scalescenes' method where  the brick paper is carried around the edges of the card.

All of the walls have been covered…

The next job is to fit windows and door before the building is assembled.  I find it easier to do this while the walls are flat, so to speak.

More soon…

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I like.  Are you going to make all your buildings the Ahern way Terry?  I think it's good to have the layout buildings in the same style.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Due to the quality of your modelling and your recommendation of J. H. Aherns' book, I've just been on AbeBooks.co.uk and ordered a copy.
Thanks

Now I've finally started a model railway…I've inherited another…

Posted
Rating:
So pleased  this is happening, in the JA resource thread there are references to his very worthwhile landscaping book, get one before they are all gone!

Station added to the JA Resource thread.

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
[user=565]Brossard[/user] wrote:
I like.  Are you going to make all your buildings the Ahern way Terry?  I think it's good to have the layout buildings in the same style.

John
John, my plans for my model railway are quite fluid so there is a good chance that a number of them will be copies of Ahern's buildings.  I have already earmarked his lineside factory (page 148, Miniature Building Construction) to be included.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
[user=1938]The Q[/user] wrote:
Due to the quality of your modelling and your recommendation of J. H. Aherns' book, I've just been on AbeBooks.co.uk and ordered a copy.
Thanks

Thanks Q.  You won't regret buying this book.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
[user=312]Chubber[/user] wrote:
So pleased this is happening, in the JA resource thread there are references to his very worthwhile landscaping book, get one before they are all gone!

Station added to the JA Resource thread.

Doug
As it happens Doug, my baseboards are constructed as laid out in his book (Miniature Landscape Modelling.)  A great companion to Miniature Building Construction.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Ken
Inactive Member
As a matter of interest I based my Quarry building on JA's one and it was the first one I made having wanted to do it ever since I got his books back in the 1950's - mind you it took me over 50 years to get down to it and the area around it still has to be landscaped in more detail!!!!!

Ken.

'It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Swing'

Posted
Rating:
Terry,
I'm interested in the Letraset markers, and see there is a set for about £10. It describes the colour as 'translucent', to my mind that means 'see through' or not very dense. Is tht so, please?

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
Doug, I'm not sure that's true of all the colours , especially the darker colours.  I have found some of them to be quite intense.  One thing to be aware of - these pens are alcohol based and have a tendency to bleed through paper, spreading out from where originally used.  For instance, if you coloured the edge of a sheet of paper, the colour would bleed a short way and show on the surfaces of the sheet.  There is another range called Aquamarkers, I believe.  These are water based and might be kinder to paper.

Ken, nice job :thumbs.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
I've got a bunch of Letraset markers - had them for years and they're still viable.  You're right Terry, there is a tendency to bleed, mostly though, if you use the chisel head.  Another clever thing about these is that they have two heads, chisel and medium point.  In fact, I think I have one with 3 heads - an additional fine point hiding inside the medium.

Highly recommended.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Thank you both for that 'heads up' re the markers.  I wish there was something you could use as a lining pen…I'll start another thread with that question

Doug

Posted
Rating:
The window sills are slim strips cut from the edge of 1mm card which has been coloured with a felt tipped pen…

Windows frames and the door frame were cut from thin white card.  Scenesetters Glazing Bars (available from Freestone Model Accessories) were used with curtains from Scalescenes…

Next job…assemble the walls.
More soon.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Looking very good Terry. Looking forward to the next instalment

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Looking good Terry!

Confusing post from Doug earlier: 'I wish there was something you could use as a lining pen?'… With trepidation, can I say - use a lining pen?

Shaun.

Last edit: by gastwo

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Definitely most J Ahearnesque !

In this past master's day there was no such thing as plastic let alone the glue with which to stick it with which makes the man's work even more incredible. Everything in card. Every building a little gem in its own rights.

Can't wait to see this little station finished and with the right man here on the job  - well it has to be yet another winner.

You'll end up building the entire Madder Valley yet Terry !

Allan

Last edit: by allan downes

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I notice Abebooks has one copy available for £420.30.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Oww!

I could fly to New Zealand for that, and back.

I like the glazing bars Terry.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Allan, kind of you to say so, but just an average modeller doing his best.
Thanks Marty.

The walls were assembled last night.  Note the small triangles of card used to keep everything square…

The roof went on this morning.  Guess who forgot to colour the edges and underside of the edges with a dark colour?  It had to be done retrospectively…not recommended as there is a chance of getting ink on the brick surface…

Next job?  There is a dormer to be fitted on the roof above the scullery (the section protruding beside the door).  I think that should be completed next before fixing slates to the roof.

More soon.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
[user=567]gastwo[/user] wrote:
Looking good Terry!

Confusing post from Doug earlier: 'I wish there was something you could use as a lining pen?'… With trepidation, can I say - use a lining pen?

Shaun.

Trep not, Shaun, from past experience, I believe a cow could play a harp more successfully than I can use a lining pen…..

[I want a 'cheats' means of applying lining to my Dennis and Tugwell-Pushleys]

'Fumbs

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.