Posted
Rating:

As envisaged by John Ahern.

Thank you Kevin.  Very kind of you.
Terry
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Congrats on being pic of the week Terry!
Well deserved.

Shaun.

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
A well deserved picture of the week Terry. Seeing the scale of the entire structure resting on your pc tower, made me realise just how much work and detail you've put into this small country station.

Great stuff!

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Thank you all.  Very kind of you.
Regards,
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
John Ahearn would have been proud of you, Terry and rightly so. A magnificent job to say the least.

When I started out in modelling I built every building in his book and I can tell you now that my version of that station wasn't even half as good as yours and, if I still had it, I certainly wouldn't be posting pictures of it on here now I've seen yours !

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Thank you so much Allan.  That's very kind of you.  However, I'm really just an average modeller.  It just goes to prove that, with patience and practise, anyone can achieve good results.  Beginners please note!
Regards,
Terry

Posted
Rating:

The final touches were added to the model this afternoon.
Chimney pots are from the Dart Castings range, painted with acrylic sienna brown (from a tube 'borrowed' from the wife's craft shed), and weathered with a lick of black acrylic paint.  Forget the fecky little pots sold by the main model paint manufacturers.  Get yourself down to your local crafting emporium (in my case Hobbycraft), and buy their own brand tubes of acrylic paint.  I recently bought a huge tube of black paint, on offer for £2.  Dart Castings chimneys come with a handy spigot on the base, useful for both holding whilst painting and for firmly fixing the chimney in place.  Drill a hole, plop in the glue, push the chimney in, job done!
The nameboard was printed in a dialogue box in Microsoft Word.  This is useful because you can also add colour.  It was cut to size and glued to card (our old friend the pizza base).  A felt tipped pen was run around the edges and the front was given a light spray of Testors Dullcote matt varnish to seal the ink.  Cosmic Shimmer acrylic glue was run along the bottom edge of the nameboard and it was placed in position over the main door.
Easy, Peezy, Chocolate Squeezy - we are all done and dusted!

Here are the final photos…

The model took far longer to complete than it should have done, only because I have the attention span of a goldfish!  I would like to thank everyone who took the time to comment during the build for their support and encouragement.
Where to next I wonder?  There are still lots of wonderful buildings to drool over in John Ahern's 'Miniature Building Construction'.  Hmmm…………..?
Best wishes.
Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Well, that looks very nice, Terry.   :thumbs

Do you have plans to weather it - or add Ivy?

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Now that you have finished it, it is for me to say

VBG

:thumbs

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Magnificent Terry and a credit to you and your railway.

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Now that, Terry, is modelling at its very best and how long it took you isn't important - it's the end result that counts and, boy, does it count !

Magnificent.

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Thank you all, very kind of you.
Max, the building is actually slightly weathered from the bottom up, but it doesn't show in the photos.
Regards to all,
Terry

Posted
Rating:
I've had all three of John H. Aherne's books since I was a lad and they are still my bibles. Anything I do is just a slight modification to allow for different materials.  I also got a copy of Min. Building Construction at a Sunday market for 50p!  So, one to read and one to keep extra safe. His Miniature Locomotive Construction is all you need to make your own locos too and I have done just that over the years.
Nice work,
Martin

Manifestly it is better to use simple tools expertly than to possess a bewildering assortment of complicated gadgets and either neglect or use them incompetently. ( L.T.C.Rolt)

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Martin.  I also have had all of JA's three books since about 1971.  They are three classics.  For those readers wondering to which books we refer, these are:
Miniature Building Construction
Miniature Landscape Modelling
Miniature Locomotive Construction
Terry
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.