A Small Country Station.

Posted
Rating:

As envisaged by John Ahern.

In my view, nothing makes a building look more like a railway structure than a platform canopy.  (Is it a canopy or an awning? Dictionary definitions of both words are similar.)  For the front of the canopy, I decided to use a commercial product from Slater's which they describe as Midland Railway Station Awning.  Surely they mean valence, the awning being the whole structure, not just the decorative board along the front?  Answers on a postcard please…
Firstly, I cut down the height of the valence as it was too deep for this building.  The valence being made of plastic, I decided to cement it to a rectangle of styrene, this being the full size of the canopy.  I then covered the whole area in card as I wanted to maintain the card 'feel' and 'look' to the building. The valence at the end of the canopy was fabricated from styrene to match the Slater's product.  I painted the valence in yellow acrylic which, of course, looked nothing like the watercolour finish of the building!  However, once dry I was able to over paint with watercolour to match the rest of the building.

Terry
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Shouts 'Railway' at me Terry, looks great  :thumbs

Very similar layout to a lot of Great Eastern stations I've looked at, Station Master's house - Booking Hall - Lamp Room/Store, but I suppose most railway companies had a very similar design.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:
Shouts 'Railway' at me Terry, looks great  :thumbs

Ed

RAILWAY!

P.S. I agree….

Doug 

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Thank you gentlemen.  Actually Ed, it might well be a GER building.  There is no indication on the drawing as to its origins but it appears to me that John Ahern based many, if not all, of his models on actual buildings.  This building is intended for my layout (see other thread - London Midland in the Round) which gives a nod towards the London Midland Region of BR, but as it is progressing it is taking on more of a generic railway look. 
Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Have a look as Isfield, on the Lavender line. I'm pretty sure that's what he based his 'small station/shelter' on…

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:

It was a quick job to make and paint the screen outside the gents' toilet.  Sankey Scenics provided the 'Gentlemen' sign…
I have taken the opportunity to weather the building with dark watercolour paint, starting at the bottom planks and brushing upwards whilst adding water.  Only slightly noticeable in this picture.
Next: bargeboards.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
 Time to fit the bargeboards.  Straight away I ran into a problem.  So far, the building has been constructed using 1.5mm mount board, with an occasional piece of postcard.  I needed white card whose thickness fell somewhere between the two.  A search of my card stock revealed nothing of use.  Idea! We had pizzas for dinner last night and they came on a card backing.  A quick dive down the recycling bin revealed two pieces of card about .75 mm thick with a white surface on one side.  Result!
Quite pleased with myself that I had done my bit to save the world by recycling the recycling, I cut 2.5mm strips of the aforementioned card, trimmed the ends to shape and coloured with a felt-tipped pen.  When stuck in place, they look ideal…
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
It's a very nice looking building, Terry.   :thumbs

And a good reason to eat more pizza.   :cool:

Posted
Rating:
I suppose the type of pizza used will dictate the aroma of the attic space ……………………. :roll: :roll:

Still looking good Terry  :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Max and Peter, very kind.
Terry

Posted
Rating:

Guttering.  On prototype buildings, the eaves, a wooden box-like structure (nowadays plastic) is fitted at the top of the walls under the overhang of the roof.  The gutter is affixed to the eaves and catches the rainwater coming off the roof.  The water travels along the gutter and disappears down the downpipes into the drains.  All quite simple really… so why have I never thought of putting the eaves on any model building, relying on the gutter just being stuck to the edge of the roof?  Ignorance is bliss!  But a chance remark by a friend at the club this week got me thinking about how every part of a building has a purpose.  The job of the eaves is to position the gutter under the edge of the roof and provide a firm base to which the gutter can be fixed.
To represent the eaves on the wooden buildings, a narrow strip of the aforementioned pizza card was painted and stuck in place under the roof edge.  The gutter is represented by Evergreen half round strip No.242 which is 2mm wide.  This was painted matt black and then a fillip of glue was run along one edge, this then being pressed against the card eves.  I use Cosmic Shimmer acrylic glue which is quite thick and grabs almost immediately.  It also has the advantage that any excess is easily cleared away with a cocktail stick leaving no trace behind.
Downpipes are represented by Evergreen 3/64" rod No.221, painted matt black.  The top end is bent to shape to meet the gutter and is glued in place.  The brackets holding the downpipe to the wall are simply small slithers of printer paper coloured with a black felt-tipped pen.
Terry

Posted
Rating:

Detail being added to the other side of the building.  This is the road side and will never be seen from the front of the layout.

Posters from Sankey Scenics:
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Nice to see vent pipes being modelled!

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Yup… RAILWAY! Valance looks very similar to the GWR style too. Nice work on the scratch build valance end. Tough to do and get symmetrical.
Thanks for the tip on darkening the tile edges in N gauge Doug. Hopefully I'll remember when I get around to my next building. 

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Doug and Marty.  Strange how the camera makes the vent pipe look crooked.  On the model it is quite straight.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
All gutters and downpipes have now been fitted…

More soon…
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
A charming little model full of inspirational ideas. Thank you for sharing, and what's next?

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Max and Albert.
Next will be the station name board over the main entrance and then the chimney pots.  A few more posters and possibly some lamps under the awning and the model will be finished.
Regards,
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry.   I can only agree with the comments already made. Great, Smashing ,Super. You had better make sure that is secure? otherwise you may get squatters . Best wishes. Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.