Yet another building

Posted
Rating:
Not a car park. There is a building as part of it that the columns support. I've placed some blue card temporarily in place where the building will be (in the pic below) to give a better clue. It is meant to represent a real structure, although compressed and simplified:

Z.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
The "flatiron" and the Hays Galleria front are turning out quite nicely. I should be grateful to have the station I'm doing come out one quarter as good

Posted
Rating:
[user=1916]ZeldaTheSwordsman[/user] wrote:
The "flatiron" and the Hays Galleria front are turning out quite nicely. I should be grateful to have the station I'm doing come out one quarter as good

Thanks for that. But I'm sure that your models will turn out far better than you surmise. Just take your time, some care and make progress in simple steps.

My main tip would be to break the project down in to easily achievable stages and work out your build methodology before doing anything.

Z.

Last edit: by Zodiac

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=575]Zodiac[/user] wrote:
Not a car park. There is a building as part of it that the columns support. I've placed some blue card temporarily in place where the building will be (in the pic below) to give a better clue. It is meant to represent a real structure, although compressed and simplified:

Z.

Ooh, you are a tease Grahame :lol:

It's like something I think I've seen and I should know what it is …………………….. but for the life of me I can't think what its is :hmm

Ed

Posted
Rating:
It's a commonly seen structure by many commuters every day, even walking underneath the building along high level walkway.

This afternoon I've made up the pedestrian stairway that leads down from the walkway to the street behind the building. This is at the left end of the building. The walkway also continues on and gently down a ramp to another street but this has not yet been modelled. 

It's a very iconic concrete stairway design that confirms the structure as being from the 1960s London brutalist architectural style - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutalist_architecture   Unfortunately as I've needed to compress the size of the model it is one flight of stairs short (that would complete a second flying landing turn). Nonetheless I hope it still captures the character and style. Here it is just placed in position (not fixed) and in grey primer. There are some details to add, tidying up and painting yet to undertake.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Is it the vandalized Euston Station?

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member

Zed, that geometry is  totally mind blowing. Explanation please !

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Presumably you mean the stairway. It's a classic and iconic brutalist style design with the stairs wrapped about a central concrete upright flat core and the landings as flying returns. A fairy simplistic design but a lot more complex to model to fit an existing location. The photo below possibly shows the detail and geometry bit better:

It's mostly made from card, although the stairway steps are plastic mouldings (from the 4D Model Shop) and the wrap around banister wall is cut as one piece from plasticard (it's easier to bend in to tight radius curves than cardboard).

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Whatever it is - it's beautifully crafted.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
Whatever it is - it's beautifully crafted.  :thumbs
got to agree with Max,
:thumbs:thumbs;-):cool:
Owen

web-cam 2.2.74.174:8081
if the lights are off no cam

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the compliments guys.

The big issue with this structure is that at the rear the road is level for most of the length and starts sloping down (right to left), while at the front is a gentle hill sloping up from right to left - hence the odd widening gap along the front. The stairs have three levels: the upper walkway, the front mid level and the rear lower level. Complex and fiddly stuff but luckily it's all cast concrete so there are no worries about brickwork lines/levels.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I can see the building on google maps, with Evans Cycles next to the London Bridge Experience, but I have no idea what the building is called.

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
[user=1043]Wizmacnz[/user] wrote:
I can see the building on google maps, with Evans Cycles next to the London Bridge Experience, but I have no idea what the building is called.

That's the one - well done. It's called Colechurch House.

My version is much scaled back, but hopefully captures the character of the brutalist architecture and look of the real building.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
It looks just like it.   :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Quality work, Z, like the models that planners etc sit around in board rooms and debate profits  whoops! planning matters…

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
As a possible matter of interest - though probably not ! - there's a multi story building at Guys Hospital where one of the stories is only about 5ft high due to an architectural mistake ! This is true because I have actually seen it myself when once delivering some hospital equipment there.

Allan.

Last edit: by allan downes

Posted
Rating:
[user=1427]allan downes[/user] wrote:
there's a multi story building at Guys Hospital where one of the stories is only about 5ft high due to an architectural mistake !
Ha ha. And only just around the corner from Colechurch House. Great for topless cars and low slung sports types, but not so good for the tall tanks that mothers now drive their kids to school in. Some car parks have a low height entry barrier to prevent vans and trucks using them.

Thanks for the comments and apologies for the recent lack of building progress/updates. Two reasons for that.  Firstly, I'm waiting on delivery of some circular punches to cut the curved window corners. And secondly, I've been spending time working on the next issue of the NGS Journal.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
I'm still waiting on delivery of the punches - it seems like they are taking ages.

In the meantime there's not a lot I can do, although today I had a bash at some of the roof top features. The pictures below show progress although they are only the basic structure and details need to be added. The front wall is not fixed and is just clipped in place. It can only be glued in place when all the wall details are completed included windows and glazing  :

Z.

Posted
Rating:
I've been away for a few days so very little done:

Z.

Posted
Rating:
I just find it mind boggling that you can find time to model AND produce the NGS journal!!!!
Very glad that you can though. Still working my way through the last issue and I found the jargon buster very useful.

cheers

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.