Another Building

Posted
Rating:
I'd agree with you to a point on posting response.

We all like a pat on the head from time to time and, I think, most could handle critical comments provided they're made in a gentlemanly way.  The problem arises when it's just a "like it" type of comment.

Unless it's a part of a "conversation" that has taken place between myself and the poster, I now tend to hold back from simple "that looks good" posts.  We could fill page after page of such posts and they only serve to tell the poster that someone has read it and thinks it's good.  The "views" tally identifies member interest and, whilst maybe the odd one is an arrival by mistake, most are the result of members showing an interest.

It's true that some posts I read don't impress me but then modelling, like most things, is subjective. I wouldn't be critical just because I'm not impressed - on the contrary, if the modeller was either new, young or otherwise not expected to be gold medal standard, I'd probably make an encouraging comment.  After all, most would be better than my efforts anyway !!! ;-)

I can't model in "N" Gauge so don't post on specific "N" Gauge train stuff.  Buildings and scenery are different in that they're not "scale sensitive".  I've seen some truly stunning layouts on here and elsewhere.  The scale doesn't matter one jot.  It's the bigger picture that's important.

I'm not following this thread because it's "N" Gauge.  I'm following it because the methods can be applied to any gauge - oh, and because it's good modelling. :thumbs

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
wow these building look great, keep the updates going

Posted
Rating:
[user=575]Zodiac[/user] wrote:
It's a shame that some people don't feel the need or are not able to comment (where appropriate). It's encouragement that helps the forum overall as well as the thread initiator. It also beneficial for those viewing threads to get involved. And they are more likely to also receive comment and feedback when they start a thread. Being insular and secretive does tend to make others wonder . . . . .

Like others have said " Me to" I am watching.
 It is very easy to fill up a page with "Me to" responses which turns a lot of people off watching threads, just as there can be a lot of "Off thread topic" responses which can be just as annoying when you are trying to read through the responses on great builds and the like.
So I wouldn't feel downhearted because people aren't saying lot. Chances are they are devouring the info and techniques you are using for a later project themselves. And it is certainly NOT being insular or secretive.

There is another thread that I am watching where some images have been put up. The layout looks great, BUT there was one image that (to me) looked so realistic and just grabs me that I replied and commented on it. It doesn't mean that I, or umpteen others have not been enjoying the thread and watching things develop because we haven't commented so don't take it personally.

Khris

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
I'd agree with you to a point on posting response.

We all like a pat on the head from time to time and, I think, most could handle critical comments provided they're made in a gentlemanly way.  The problem arises when it's just a "like it" type of comment.

Yep, as I said a stream of 'me too' and 'looking good' messages are usually a waste of electrons. What I was looking for wasn't 'pats on the back' (or finding myself 'taking it personally') but some feedback that there were people actually following the thread and finding it of interest. The number of 'views' doesn't really give an indication of that and without it I was wondering whether I was wasting time taking photos and posting progress. Fortunately it seems I'm not, so here's the latest progress.

I've been rather busy putting together the next NGS Newsletter and Journal so there's only one photo today: 

The rear walls of these two building have been added from card. The pitched roof is basically a card tent covered in Redutex. Ridge tiles are yet to be added. The flat roof (of the centre building)is just card cut to size and is  yet fixed. Tere are chimney stacks that need to be incorporated.

Z.

Last edit: by Zodiac

Posted
Rating:
………………………………………………I was wondering whether I was wasting time taking photos and posting progress…………………………….
You'll never do that on here Grahame - someone will always be interested - we're that kind of close-knit group. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Still spending much time on the NGSJ, but I've managed a little bit of a start on the end curved building. The odd roof on it is giving much thought about how to replicate it. Overall the building looks like it might have been a pub at one time. I'll have to research back (unless anyone knows).

Z.

Posted
Rating:
I'm waiting to see how you curve the walls and then do the roof ……………;-)  I'm assuming it is a curved roof rather than a "segmented" roof. :roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I've started getting the details on the end building façade. It's all styrene sheet which is quick and easy to work with and glue with liquid poly. And while the glue dries/hardens it is possible to start to form a bend in the appropriate area where there are laminations which will hold it when set;

I need to add windows/glazing and paint before gluing the finished wall in place. I'll start with supergluing the flat section in place and when that is dry slowly bend the curved section around the card formers, gluing and holding with elastic bands until set. 

Z.

Posted
Rating:
And there was me thinking it was card ……………….you'd said earlier it was styrene but I'd been reading about card models just before I posted.  I'm easily confused ………..:???::???::???::thud

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I've made a start made on the roof frame and support. It will be covered in card and the vertical and sloping sections themselves covered in Redutex tiles. There's some fancy chimney stacks and dormer windows to made and add before the Redutex. The front walls are not finished or fixed and are just resting in place in the photo below.

Z

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
This question of  little response to a thread has more to do with nothing really worthwhile to say than it has to do with  a lack of interest where, for example, I might only get a few comments on a building I've posted yet the viewing figures alone are most encouraging.

Anyway, 'hits' far outnumber comments. Always have done.

Allan.

Last edit: by allan downes

Posted
Rating:
I've completed the roof sub-strata and now need to tackle the chimney stacks and dormer windows as the roof top surface finishing, mainly tiling although the vertical section already has Redultex tile covering applied so as to be able to overlap with the sloping parts, will need to be undertaken around them;

Z.

Posted
Rating:
I've made the two edge located tall chimney stacks and started on the two at the rear. Being N gauge they are small - just an inch tall. They need final painting and adding pots but I tend to do that near the end when adding fine and fragile details as pots are the sort of thing easily broken off when handling the model;

Z.

Posted
Rating:
And here's pic of how they fit in place. Currently they just have a base coat of light red brick colour.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I've made the two edge located tall chimney stacks and started on the two at the rear. Being N gauge they are small - just an inch tall. They need final painting and adding pots but I tend to do that near the end when adding fine and fragile details as pots are the sort of thing easily broken off when handling the model;

Z.
How on earth did you make those Grahame, is that styrene?

Ed

Last edit: by Ed

Posted
Rating:
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:
How on earth did you make those Grahame, is that styrene?

Ed

Yes; they are basically thick card covered with thinner brick embossed plasticard. The top plinth is a rectangle of the card (showing the thickness) that is just superglued in place and painted. The grey 'bare' part is the inner card core.
Z.

Posted
Rating:
The three dormer windows are being built from styrene sheet (plasticard) - they too are pretty small and fiddly to make. They will be painted and glazed before fitting in place as that will effectively make them sealed.

Out of interest this is the stage of build reached so far - with parts just resting in place and not glued. The rounded end building only has a very rough coat of paint to get and idea of how it will look.

Z.

Last edit: by Zodiac

Posted
Rating:
Ken
Inactive Member
That is painstaking work to a very high standard - and you don't waste time either! :thumbs

Ken

'It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Swing'

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I'm getting the feel of it, Z.

Is it a model of a prototype?

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
I'm getting the feel of it, Z.

Is it a model of a prototype?
It's roughly based on the buildings at the corner of Bermondsey Street and Tooley Street (London Bridge) SE1. They are compressed somewhat and the details simplified, but hopefully it retains the character and captures the atmosphere of the prototype.
Z.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.