Another Building

Posted
Rating:
#219050 (In Topic #11936)
Further to the Shipwrights Arm pub and Kebab shop I've started another N gauge scale building in the same street. It will be a multi-media effort using whatever materials are appropriate; card, styrene, Redutex and so on.

Pictured below is the early cardboard engineering phase built from 2mm thick card giving a very strong frame on which to hang the walls and so on;

Z.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
All the heavyweight card frame modelling is now complete. It's nice and firm and strong. The front fascia (along Bermondsey Street) includes three different buildings - hence the compartments - while the rear has two (along Tooley Street). As this will be facing away from the viewing position I wont bother with details for it. The front will be fully modelled although I may simplify some of the complex details to keep the modelling straightforward. And, of course, roof details are important particularly for N gauge models. 

The corner building, with the rounded end, is currently a Mextex restaurant called Chilango but previously it was a Chinese restaurant called 'The Great Wall'. I really need to find out what it was in the 1980s. Does anyone know?

Z.

Posted
Rating:
I've started on making up the front walls with the office building on the right. It's made of brick embossed plasticard and styrene strip. The relief is built up with various layers and strips. Next is to cut out the windows.

Z

Posted
Rating:
Windows cut out and the wall temporarily offered up to the framework to see how it looks. Next step is the window frames and gazing, and painting to finish the wall.
Is anyone following this thread on this step by step build?

Z

Posted
Rating:
Window sills added and wall primed/undercoated ready for painting:

Z

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=575]Zodiac[/user] wrote:
Is anyone following this thread on this step by step build?

Z
Yep, for sure  and there has been over 100 views.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Me too.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
And me …………………:cheers

What glue do you use for the brick laminations Grahame ?  It looks like a very clean join but I'd have thought any over-run of MEK or similar, would have marked the embossing …………..:roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hello,
Great work i am watching too
Stephen

Acording to a recent visit to a supermarket at check out time, I an not loosing my memory it has been downgraded which means i am not stupid afterall - Sorted! - What a relief

Posted
Rating:
Ken
Inactive Member
Very good window cutouts Grahame, particularly the curved ones at the top.

As a matter of interest you'll find that on this forum you will more than lucky if you get 10% of viewings commented on (in fact this was discussed in some detail a few weeks ago but no real solution was arrived at).  :cry:

Ken

'It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Swing'

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Loads of us watching.  Keep it coming mate.  :thumbs

reg

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I watch every post, so keep em coming
:thumbs;-):cool:
Owen

web-cam 2.2.74.174:8081
if the lights are off no cam

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
What glue do you use for the brick laminations Grahame ?  It looks like a very clean join but I'd have thought any over-run of MEK or similar, would have marked the embossing …………..:roll::roll:
I've been using Humbrol Liquid Poly (it is less aggressive/strong than say EMA Weld) and try to 'paint' the glue (with a fine brush) just on the underside of the part to be glued before pressing it in place. Sure I sometimes get some solvent where it is not wanted, but the trick is not to touch it or try to wipe it away. The solvent softens the plastic and touching it will cause it to misshape/fuse and mark. If it's on the surface then just let it evaporate and dry on it own.
Z.

Posted
Rating:
I was out all day yesterday taking a day trip to Weymouth so nothing done on the building. But this morning I've got some paint on the front wall. It's starting to look reasonable but I think I need to tone down the dark mortar lines.

Z.

Posted
Rating:
[user=34]Ken[/user] wrote:
As a matter of interest you'll find that on this forum you will more than lucky if you get 10% of viewings commented on (in fact this was discussed in some detail a few weeks ago but no real solution was arrived at). 
Yes, a possible problem. However, getting views (especially without posted comment/feedback) doesn't mean that the thread is of interest, appreciated and worth continuing. People may simply have stumbled across it, clicking up the 'view' count but also making a mental note not to return to it.

That said, obviously, a lot of 'looking good' and similar such posts are not much help and a waste of electrons. I'd rather just see the occasional question or feedback comment that related to the project directly (showing that the viewer has some interest). I'm not looking for constant applause but would prefer and welcome feedback (even if it is critical) and suggestions - that is how one learns and can improve their modelling.

I just asked on my fourth post as there had been no responses or indication of whether the thread was worth continuing with. Apologies if it has caused an issue.

Z.   

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
As a Moderator, I read every post from every member in every thread; but I don't always open them as this forum has the facility to send email notifications about every post.

My motivation for replying is different in many cases.  It might be my intention to encourage someone starting out or it might be to express a contrary view from the poster's view - sometimes I have to discourage unacceptable behaviour.  There is a whole spectrum of incentives for me.

In this thread I wanted to let you know that I'm watching and that it appears to be interesting modelling. 

I also post my modelling efforts here.  A tiny number of the members post replies, but I've learned that I shouldn't be discouraged - as lots of the members read the forum the same way as people read the newspaper.  Hardly any of the readership takes the trouble to write a letter to the Editor. 

To my mind this forum works in two ways.  Members can ask questions to gain advice/help/information.  Or members can share their efforts with a group of like minded people.  If it's liked, sometimes the best you can hope for is stoney silence.  :lol:

I don't think it has caused an issue.  Believe me, if it had, you would have heard from one of the management team by now.  :lol:

Now, as I was about to say, I think the mortar lines look fine.  ;-)

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I must admit I'm not one for commenting much, even on Sites which have a choice of Buttons such as, "craftmaship" which applies to you.

Now I've finally started a model railway…I've inherited another…

Posted
Rating:
It's a shame that some people don't feel the need or are not able to comment (where appropriate). It's encouragement that helps the forum overall as well as the thread initiator. It also beneficial for those viewing threads to get involved. And they are more likely to also receive comment and feedback when they start a thread. Being insular and secretive does tend to make others wonder . . . . .

Anyway, I've made a start on the next building, an office block with entrance from the other side, front wall:

Z.

Posted
Rating:
I am only just commenting as I have been on holiday for a week.

Interesting way you are going about your buildings with making the internal structure first, I think I may give this method a try although in 4mm.

Now waiting for your next posting.

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
I've toned down the end building with a dirty wash covering, and have painted the middle building front wall although further work on it is required. That's it for today as I'm off to get ready to catch a train to Waterloo to meet some friends for a beer.

Z.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.