Scratch building O scale rolling stock.

Posted
Rating:
Top marks Max, proper job! 

Pete.

it was already on fire when I got here, honest!
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max,

I doubt I could get anywhere near Kadee's tooling, what you have done so far is fantastic. That airline pipe is a really nice touch.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, guys.

Posted
Rating:
Railway wagons? They're just big metal boxes on wheels, aren't  they?

This lovely sort of work proves otherwise, and with a chum like Nigel on the camera to help a good  partneship is born.

I've enjoyed this thread, as you have said, Max, the air-brush awaits!

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Doug.

Only seven to go.

Posted
Rating:
[user=312]Chubber[/user] wrote:
Railway wagons? They're just big metal boxes on wheels, aren't  they?

Doug
Hi Doug,

Wishful thinking.

Next project for me is shown below. Wish I could have afforded the model, it's going to have to be a scratch/kit bash project. It's a sand car, used to deliver dried sand in 50 ton lots to line-side engine sanding equipment from the mid-1950's on. The Great Northern rebuilt some 50 ton Canton open ore hoppers into this starting in 1956.

Max, some nice brake equipment detailing in HO.

The following images are used by permission of the ebay trader sptebu (thanks Scott) who recently had this HO model on auction. Hand built in brass in Japan, note the opening hatches. It went for $307 US. Just a big metal box on wheels…

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That is really nice, Nigel.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Well, that one pictured isn't Nigel's, though I'm sure he wishes it was.

Nigel, it hopefully shouldn't be too big an ouch to do those sand hoppers. I know that short ore hoppers are common on evilBay and a few companies make roof walk stock and hatches.

Max, your hopper continues to look better and better.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Brendan.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Here's a bit more progress . . .

Now for the hatches.  :cool:

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max,

Really looking the part, lots of detail. The hatches. Cement? Grain? Sand? Oh, the suspense…..

One thing I've noticed on prototype photo's is that the sides of hoppers are rarely pristine (out of the manufacturing shop), they are normally dented/bowed here and there between the bracing struts. Plus the occasional repair plate as they get older. Any thoughts?

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
[user=1916]ZeldaTheSwordsman[/user] wrote:
Well, that one pictured isn't Nigel's, though I'm sure he wishes it was.

Nigel, it hopefully shouldn't be too big an ouch to do those sand hoppers. I know that short ore hoppers are common on evilBay and a few companies make roof walk stock and hatches.

Max, your hopper continues to look better and better.
Hi Brendan,

I was a bit shocked at what it went for, it's a rare one (first one I've seen). That's more than my budget for freight/MOW stock for the year. Does look nice though. Something to aim for re detail.

One Accurail Canton ore hopper suitably modified (only source for these cars), one Bowser hopper for the roof parts (hatches), some Ajax walkway from Plano, decal kit (available), scrap styrene from the box, that should do it. The GN were quite good at recycling ore cars, I've found photo's of at least 4 variations used for sand. They would make a nice rake.

Max has shown what can be done from scratch, real inspiration. It's got my interest. Tempting, tempting…..especially with brass sides and dents and dings.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Nigel.

I know what you mean about wear and tear.  I like to build the model as it looks straight out of the factory and then leave time later to knock it about a bit.  I'm hoping to go for a look like the GP 38-2 I bashed from a Weaver - just road grime, for a start.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
The hatches are on.

To make the hatches, I used 1/4" x 3/4" x 1/16" steel washers and glued 6 mm wide strips of 1 mm styrene across them.

Then I filled the holes with Knead Itâ„¢  Then I added 1/16" styrene for hinges and handles and  4 mm wide strips of 0.5 mm styrene across the top.

I can't do any more until the couplers arrive - possibly by the end of the week.

It's difficult to get the exposure right against the stark white of the styrene.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
While I'm waiting for the couplers, I've started a production line.

The glued styrene needs to be left overnight, so I look for something new to work on.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Congratulations on picture of the week Max :thumbs

How many of these do you plan on making?

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Ed.  That's unexpected.  :lol:

There will be eight in all.  A hopper, a passenger carriage, an open wagon, a flat car and four box cars.

http://www.nmra.org/cars

My last Certificate for MMR

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
wow eight more weeksd of pic of the week ?? well deserved Max a lot of work in there :doublethumb
:thumbs;-):cool:
Owen

web-cam 2.2.74.174:8081
if the lights are off no cam

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Owen.  It could get a bit boring.  :lol:

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I have been fortunate in having seen the first one off the production line in the flesh and it certainly deserves not only the Picture of the Week but :pathead :thumbs

what it will be like when painted will be another aspect to drool over  :mrgreen:

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.