This arrived today

Posted
Rating:
:mutley:mutley

Sadly Owen, dead right. :oops::oops::oops:

There's apparently an article about using Hexfrog Juicers to switch frog polarity in the current Hornby magazine.  They claim to make wiring slips and diamonds as easy as wiring plain track.  Has anyone got any experience of them ?

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I was looking at one  last year for my diamond Peter but decided it was better to get the track right, rather than rely on a piece of electronics to resolve a problem that shouldn't really exist.

Just my view.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
For me Ed, it's not so much a case of getting the track right but the ease of wiring.  I'll change my dead frog diamond for a live frog version but then I'd need, I think, a couple of DPDT switches on the points feeding the diamond to control it all.  The Frog Juicer just seemed to offer a much simpler solution.

I had my concerns about accepting a short as "norm" but they claim it works so fast, the chips don't even see it coming. In fact, they say it's designed specifically for DCC  :roll::roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
I had my concerns about accepting a short as "norm"
Exactly.

Two wrongs making a right :???:

I'm sure lots of people will be along and say they're the best thing since sliced bread in a minute.

However your railway, whatever suits, Rule 1.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Whilst trawling the net for ideas for changing my station throat point work, I came across the following paragraph  on Gaugemasters "Wiring the layout" tips.  The comments originated with DCC Concepts.

Beginners AND clever buggers like me should take heed……………..it's so very true ;-):mutley:mutley

"No matter what scale you will model in, DO NOT even consider using insulated frogs! Yes, lazy retailers who do not understand what they sell - and modellers who have never done a proper job of laying track so it runs well may well recommend it to you    …    but do NOT be tempted.

No matter which brand makes the turnouts, if you use insulated frogs, you WILL have small loco stalling or also suffer from wider wheels bridging the frog tip and creating momentary shorts that are hard to fix and really are a source of constant frustration"

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Whilst trawling the net for ideas for changing my station throat point work, I came across the following paragraph  on Gaugemasters "Wiring the layout" tips.  The comments originated with DCC Concepts.

Beginners AND clever buggers like me should take heed……………..it's so very true ;-):mutley:mutley

"No matter what scale you will model in, DO NOT even consider using insulated frogs! Yes, lazy retailers who do not understand what they sell - and modellers who have never done a proper job of laying track so it runs well may well recommend it to you    …    but do NOT be tempted.

No matter which brand makes the turnouts, if you use insulated frogs, you WILL have small loco stalling or also suffer from wider wheels bridging the frog tip and creating momentary shorts that are hard to fix and really are a source of constant frustration"

Haha, wise words indeed Peter and I'm saying nowt about anyone here being silly, old or even a bugger! Others more qualified will surely do that! (I know, don't call you Shirley).

Bestest good wishes for getting the trains running (and coupling) again soon.

Bill :) 

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.