An engine shed for a friend

Posted
Rating:
[user=1708]mattc6911[/user] wrote:
Why not make a slightly smaller arched top to the doorway instead of squaring it off , to mimic the effect of the window recesses ? 

Cheers

Matt
I like it, what an excellent idea Matt, I will see if that will work.

Robyn
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=644]Campaman[/user] wrote:
Nice models.

Regarding the roof trusses, I think I would have made the wooden beams the full length of the building and cut out square notches in the card trusses to take the beams, you would then not be trying to glue onto the end  grain.

Now that makes a lot of sense, it would also make it so easy to line them up and get the spacing right. I would have to make the trusses slightly larger where the notches would be or maybe use a thinner strip of wood. I do not have enough area on these trusses to cut a notch as you can see in the photos. I will definitely put your idea into my memory for the future.

I think the best thing would be to start taking photos of roof trusses in old buildings so I have a better idea of how they are made.

Thank you Campaman.

Robyn

Posted
Rating:
My father used to do a lot of woodwork, for joints where two pieces crossed at right angles he would notch half way through each, called a halved joint

Halved joint - Wikipedia

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Hi Robyn,

Just realized, is this a 2-road shed?

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
[user=1397]Dorsetmike[/user] wrote:
My father used to do a lot of woodwork, for joints where two pieces crossed at right angles he would notch half way through each, called a halved joint
I am not sure that my cutting capability is good enough to do that. Mind you the joints would be quite strong.

Robyn

Posted
Rating:
[user=1632]BCDR[/user] wrote:
Hi Robyn,

Just realized, is this a 2-road shed?

Nigel

Hi Nigel, this is a two road shed.

Robyn

Posted
Rating:
Hi Robyn,

Thanks. Thought so. Been bothering me.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
[user=644]Campaman[/user] wrote:
Nice models.

Regarding the roof trusses, I think I would have made the wooden beams the full length of the building and cut out square notches in the card trusses to take the beams, you would then not be trying to glue onto the end  grain.
This has been suggested and I agree this is a much better idea, I must stop calling them sticks, I notice that a couple of you have called the "sticks" beams, I am sure you can tell I am not up to speed on all the technical stuff but thanks to your help I am getting better.

Robyn

Posted
Rating:
We have 11 days to get this layout ready for the exhibition and it is still in it's raw state. I will lose 6 days due to my part time job and that leaves me with 5 days to complete the buildings and do the scenery. I managed to get a start yesterday afternoon and was able to achieve a little bit on the waterfall end of the layout. I use foam to block up the bulk of the scenery and then cover that in plaster bandage. The lid of the mountain will need to be removable so we can access the track and any derailments that may occur. with a bit of luck I should see this almost finished this afternoon.

The opposite end of the layout will have a smaller mountain and I haven't got to that part yet, I may be able to block up the scenery in this area after work tomorrow.

The middle bit, is where the village will be and hopefully will be finished up to a reasonable standard by the time we go to the show. I will upload more photos as the work progresses.

Robyn

Posted
Rating:
I have had to miss a day and a half due to work but managed to get back onto this layout this morning, so far all the plaster work is done and I have pencilled in the line of the backscene I will paint to join it all together. So far it all looks fairly average but as each element is added it all comes together pretty quickly. This section should be sceniced by this afternoon and then I can start on the middle bit. Once this is all completed we can add the buildings.

Robyn

Posted
Rating:
Progress at last and now I feel that the deadline is not so bad. I have managed to get the mountain and waterfall to a near enough finished state except for a bit of detailing and some more trees. The backscene is pretty much done for this section of the layout. Work tomorrow and Wednesday means that the rush is on for the last part of the week and it will be back to the buildings over the next couple of nights.

Robyn

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Very nice Robyn :thumbs

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:
Very nice Robyn :thumbs
Thank you Sol.

Robyn

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I like the painted trees, Robyn.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
I like the painted trees, Robyn.  :thumbs
 Thanks Max, It's all a bit rough really but  that's what happens when you have a tight time frame.

Robyn

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Looking great Robyn… bit like my vino tinto…can be a bit rough and' have the desired effect!

Ian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Looking good Robyn. Looking forward to the next instalment

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Hi Robyn,

Don't know how I missed this thread but I did, and I have just flicked through it. Lovely work as usual and I'm positive the layout will be ready to go in no time. Keep the updates coming. Now, I'm going back to read the whole thread.

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I'd say not bad at all for such a quick job Robyn .I'm sure you will re visit and tidy up any areas your not happy with after the show. How did you do the waterfall ?

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Pucker job Robyn,your scenic skills make me envious.:thumbs

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.