Model making, what a great pastime.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I can only agree with what everybody else says. Brilliant workmanship, it just goes to show what can be achieved scratch building. I'm about to take delivery of some Admiralty charts for H.M.S. Hood which hopefully will dominate a layout:  I wouldn't mind picking your brains for a few items - there's always something to learn.Highlander 2
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=1902]Highlander 2[/user] wrote:
I can only agree with what everybody else says. Brilliant workmanship, it just goes to show what can be achieved scratch building. I'm about to take delivery of some Admiralty charts for H.M.S. Hood which hopefully will dominate a layout:  I wouldn't mind picking your brains for a few items - there's always something to learn.Highlander 2
I have only built 3 maritime models all plank on frame, the USS Constitution was a kit and my first attempt. The other two were scratchbuilt. The war department TID tug was relatively easy as it was a hard chine hull made up of mostly flat panels. The third model was a Bathurst class minesweeper (corvette) and that was a lot of work as there are so many "things" on a warship. The man I made it for was regularly sending me photos of all the bits that needed to be included on the model and I was quite relieved when it was finished. I am sure that building a model of a serious warship is quite a challenge especially in 4mm scale, no doubt the Admiralty plans are very detailed. I am sure that there are numerous suppliers in the UK who can help out with some of the detail parts. There is a group here in Australia called Task Force 72 who make warship models in 1:72 scale, I am sure that this scale has a universal following and although the difference in scale is only marginal compared to 1:76 it might be a good option for detail parts.

Robyn

This is the Bathurst Class

Online now: No Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.