Model making, what a great pastime.

Posted
Rating:
#203479 (In Topic #11205)
It has been a while since I posted anything here, I have been busy making models which have been selling rather well. I am also in the process of making patterns and casting models for a local supplier as well as manufacturing a promotional truck for a Fruit and Vege supplier. Having been out of work for a couple of years and being somewhat age afflicted (according to employers) it has been a bit of a surprise to find that my models have been so well received. I think I could really enjoy a career change and model making sounds pretty good to me…here's hoping it continues. Somewhere in this busy time I really need to build a new exhibition layout as I would love to see some of my growing collection actually running. I hope everyone is well and enjoying the hobby.

Robyn

Australian N Scale NQIX Wagon

Australian N Scale ROCY wagon

Australian N Scale NODY wagon

Australian N Scale RCTY Wagon

And just to prove I am not scale biased, here is the first of a series of On30 wagons I will be manufacturing

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
You have made a nice job of those Robyn.:thumbs

reg

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
They are all first class. I can see why they are selling. I like the last shot. Plenty of character.

You have a great talent there …….. And making a living at it as well.  …….. Go for it girl. :mutley

I wish you all the best for your potential new venture ….. Your name will be up in lights…….. Just remember your friends at the bottom of the food chain.:mutley

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Excellent models Robyn, well done. :thumbs

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
the talenled people on this forum continue to amaze me wth the skills they have,hope you can make a good living with your chosen carreer
:doublethumb:thumbs;-):cool:

my webcam link 6.19.184.67:8080

Posted
Rating:
Robyn, the realism of the wooden bed wagon is really eye catching!

Just moved house. A new railway plan is inevitable. Watch this space.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Great models Robyn. Keep it up.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
I am somewhat overwhelmed by everyone's lovely comments and encouragement, thank you so much and a big hug to all of you.

Robyn

Posted
Rating:
[user=1505]toto[/user] wrote: 
I like the last shot. Plenty of character.

Toto
Hi Toto,
The On30 wagon has been made from styrene and the woodgrain was scratched into it using an old craft knife, I then cut pieces out to make it look as though the 'timber' had deteriorated. The original pattern was made from timber and surprisingly had no character or grain at all and I was not happy with the finished result so I dumped it and started again. I am much happier with the final model. You have to laugh when you think that using the real material sometimes gives a result that doesn't look like the real thing!

Robyn

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Robyn good to see you back,  definitely think you could forge a career in model making there! some great examples shown, good luck with your new venture, don't be afraid go blinking into the sunlight young one :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Robyn,

That's the way of it sometimes. Your final finished version has no problem convincing me of what it's meant to portray. It really is something special.

Well done

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=1708]mattc6911[/user] wrote:
Hi Robyn good to see you back, 

don't be afraid go blinking into the sunlight young one :thumbs
Hi Matt,
I have to say that I am flattered by being called "young one", don't tell anyone because I might lose my Senior's Card and the discounts it brings.

Robyn

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Robyn  your as young as you feel….and looking at those models you are feeling pretty good energy right now ! you got the best years in front of you so  just go do it !!!

and just to give an Idea…my mum is 88 and compared to her I feel like a Knackeredupoldnosebag !!  :mutley

cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Robyn
Just been on your gallery, superb detail keep the photos coming
Ian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=1708]mattc6911[/user] wrote:
Robyn  your as young as you feel….and looking at those models you are feeling pretty good energy right now ! you got the best years in front of you so  just go do it !!!

and just to give an Idea…my mum is 88 and compared to her I feel like a Knackeredupoldnosebag !!  :mutley

cheers

Matt
Hi Matt,
Your Mum is a bit older than me, my friend is 79 yy (that's years young) and he is pretty good for his age too. I like to think of myself as being 20 years old with over 40 years of experience and that counts for a lot. Life's good no matter what age you are.

Robyn

Posted
Rating:
[user=1505]toto[/user] wrote:
Hi Robyn,

That's the way of it sometimes. Your final finished version has no problem convincing me of what it's meant to portray. It really is something special.

Well done

Toto
Thank you Toto

Robyn

Posted
Rating:
[user=1761]Ianvolvo46[/user] wrote:
Hi Robyn
Just been on your gallery, superb detail keep the photos coming
Ian
Hi Ian,
I never generally take photos of my work but since I have been on this forum I seem to have gone a bit silly. I will add some new ones as time goes on.

Robyn

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I never doubted it for a minute.

We'll have to call you Robyn Farish from now on.  ;-)

Posted
Rating:
Well done Robyn, like Tom says the on30 wagon just oozes character, its a funny thing perception, if you model roof tiles as per the real thing you wouldn,t see them on a building, on a real building scaling up model tiles they would be inches thick and the roof probably wouldn,t support the weight, any way keep "em coming, we love to see good modelling!

Pete.  

it was already on fire when I got here, honest!

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Pete, I agree about perception in model making and sometimes things do need to be "inaccurate" to look right. It's a constant challenge but that is what makes it fun.

Robyn
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.